collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 2655 times)

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 02:16:44 PM »
ZennaBug - the score is awesome, it's been on repeat at my house for a couple of weeks now :D

With the LOTR movies, I would buy the soundtrack as soon as it was released and listen up until the movie to ease my impatience.  I love the music they put to Thorin's song, and how they used it throughout the movie.  It was so powerful and sad sounding.  I think the music is one of my favorite things about the movie.  And the animation for the eagles!  The feathers were so incredibly detailed.

Yes, all the LOTR soundtracks are amazing as well!

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »
Yes, the music! Although there were some songs (one at least? the 1st one I mean) that didn't quite fit in, for a moment I had this awkward feeling of watching a musical or a Disney film instead.

I did like the film but gosh, was it looong or what. There were many bits that could well have been left out, but of course they want action, action, action. And when there's no action, they're taking everything out of the scenery and settings and special effects etc. I must admit it's been years since I read the book, so I can't quite tell all the parts that were added or changed - I guess they did a decent job, then. ;) I have an idea of course. Besides, I noticed some parts that were actually taken from FoTR, which is fine since the LoTR movies lack so many important bits and they are obviously turning The Hobbit into a seamless prequel to LoTR.

(No real spoilers but just to make sure...)
Spoiler
I love that they included Radagast this time, although he was a little too goofy for my taste. The rabbits were brilliant, though. :D I wonder if they will introduce Tom Bombadil at some point, too - I guess he's one of the characters many wanted to see in the trilogy. I was rather disappointed they'd left him out even though he was never one of my favourites exactly...

To those who haven't seen it yet: I'd say if you enjoyed the LoTR trilogy, you will enjoy The Hobbit. However, it won't be like the book, which is very different in style from the trilogy, and if you're one of the purists who think nothing should be changed/added, you'll probably be disappointed. ;) I usually don't like drastic changes, so I made sure not to re-read the book before seeing the movie. Maybe I'll do that before Pt. 2 comes out, though. Anyway, despite some shortcomings (mainly the length! and lengthened action scenes) I enjoyed it and will be looking forward to the next part. It's quite nostalgic, too - I kind of miss the time when we all were eagerly waiting for the new LoTR films. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 05:36:52 PM »
I agree on all accounts, Griffin!  I re-read the book in January (for the 11th time I think) so it wouldn't be too fresh in my mind.  Because if I had just read everything, I would spend the whole time nit-picking.

I had to go to the bathroom for most of the time, lol.  I kept thinking that I was in the clear, but then it would keep going.  XD

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »
I was really disappointed. I ws expecting some changes, but they changed pretty much everything except the basic storyline, a lot of which had no reason to be changed. It was like they tried to turn it into an epic action movie, which it's just...not.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Ayalah

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »
We went to the midnight showing last night/this morning. Saw it in IMAX - which made me quite dizzy during all the mountain shots haha. It was absolutely worth it for the dwarven city/kingdom scenes though! (SO AMAZING!) It is VERY different stylisticaly. I was kinda shocked  :shocked: I actually didn't care for all the computer animation stuff. It improved the Gollum sequence (which was definitely one of the best parts of the movie. Oh Andy! hehe) But personally I thought they took it a bit far. It also felt to my like they crammed an awful lot in there, and maybe to much! It was a constant stream of problem, solution, problem, solution - pulling out every stop! I hate to say it, but toward the end I was starting to get a little bored *prepares for rotten tomatoes to hail down*  I can't imagine what Peter will pull out for 2-3.  But it should be interesting!

And the actor choice for Bilbo? OUTSTANDING! I was skeptical! But he was perfect!

Our theatre was only half full (granted they played it in three theatres at once) But people were still buying tickets at midnight! We got ours weeks ago afraid they'd run out. We got free posters when we left too!  :biggrin:

Post Merge: December 14, 2012, 08:04:03 PM

Brave Pythia, You said it. I was afraid to. I didn't think ANYONE would agree with me.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:04:03 PM by Ayalah »

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 08:30:45 PM »
Just came back- I really enjoyed it! I went in with the expectation of it being super long and dragging out at the end, so I was pretty surprised at the ending. It actually snuck up on me.

I LOVED Bilbo's actor. I agree Ayalah, he was perfect! So funny!

Since the book isn't so fresh in my memory, some of the changes were harder for me to pin-point. Some of the scenes that I DO remember from the book felt spot on- the entire part with Gollum was creepily exactly how I pictured it, just shortened.

I loved Thorin's song too, it was hauntingly pretty.

This was the first full length movie I ever watched 3D too. My eyes had a hard time following all the action and I felt like there was a "lag" through my 3D glasses, normal glasses, then brain lol. Prolly my imagination there, but it was really hard to follow the movement.

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline StarDapple

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »
Just got back from it and I really enjoyed it!  I have a few very small complaints, but on the whole, it was really good.

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 09:19:51 PM »
I've been waiting to see it ALL YEAR!

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 09:26:19 PM »
I just saw it and loved it. I was glad, however, that I haven't read it in years because I knew they changed it some.

I forget how much I wish I lived in a recreated Rivendell. I LOVED the costuming. Of course, Peter has never disappointed in the costuming department. Oh, except for that flashback where Arwen is wearing a lame toga.

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 11:13:28 PM »
I just saw it tonight. I had some issues with it. Even more so than the trilogy, but I think I'm looking back on that with rose-coloured glasses. I mean, it was entertaining overall, but meh probably wouldn't spend the money to see again in theatres.

Post Merge: December 14, 2012, 11:14:42 PM

I was really disappointed. I ws expecting some changes, but they changed pretty much everything except the basic storyline, a lot of which had no reason to be changed. It was like they tried to turn it into an epic action movie, which it's just...not.

I agree! I felt disappointed. There were several "moments" where it was like, 'They're doing it right!' But overall it was like...how many rock slabs/wooden catwalks/trees can we break in half and surf down on?!

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 08:32:24 AM »
I'm not reading anything, just to be safe. We're going to see it tomorrow, in IMAX. A treat for ourselves since we've never been to an IMAX film yet, plus we want to see the 9 minute Star Trek preview. :D Looking forward to it!
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 12:29:23 PM »
I've been really excited about the movie and I hope I will be seeing it by the end of the next week  :)
It better be good!

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 02:52:40 PM »
went to see it on thursday was exelent !!!!!!!love the dwarves!! xaflamex

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »
Saw this comment on CNN and it summed up my feelings/pointed out many of the things I had issues with.

Spoiler
I was expecting to see the simple plotlines of the book followed fairly closely with additional material added to flesh out the background, history, and ties to future events. I was very impressed with the introduction illustrating the magnificent Kingdom of Erebor, life in Dale, and Smaug's coming. My expectations were dashed a bit when plot elements were changed for no good reasons that I could see. Why on (Middle) Earth was the story of Azog changed? It was his son, Bolg, who figured into the story as the leader of the Northern Orcs in the Battle of Five Armies.

I found it a bit unbelievable that Rivendell, as the last bastion of Elvendom in the area, was as unguarded as it was in the movie that the party just walked right on in. One does not just walk into Rivendell, to borrow from a popular tagline. As difficult as it might have been to enter the place, the dwarves had no need to sneak off as they left with Elrond's blessing in the book. I can understand Thorin's grudge against elvenkind for Thranduil's abandonment of his forefathers, but I found the constant distrust and hostility to be disturbing. And Gandalf left WITH the dwarves - it was HE who guided them through the mountain passes and didn't become separated from them until they were captured by the orcs.

The stone giants were a bit overdone IMO. The interaction with mountain-sized creatures wasn't necessary and could have simply been mentioned in converstion as in the book. Many have interpreted the mention of the giants as simply a way of illustrating the thunderstorm, much as ancient people might have viewed such natural occurrences.

The battle in the orc stronghold was so far over the top as to be annoyingly cartoonish. It almost reminded me of the mine chase scene in the Temple of Doom. And why was Radagast even in the movie at all? Why did Jackson feel the need to create a part for him, complete with that ridiculous rabbit-sleigh? Was he trying to make up for the absence of Tom Bombadil in the LOTR movies? It was Gandalf who investigated Dol Guldur 400 years prior and caused the Necromancer to flee eastward, resulting in the "watchful peace" mentioned by Saruman. When Dol Guldur was re-occupied, it was Gandalf again who travelled there and was able to enter, thus discovering that the Necromancer was indeed Sauron. The White Council subsequently moved against him that same year (III 2941), forcing him to permanently flee to Mordor where he openly declared himself.

All in all, I felt satisfied with the movie. I just wish Jackson hadn't simply made up material that didn't really lend to the story. I would have loved to have heard the rest of the dwarves' song in Bilbo's home ...

"Far over the misty mountains grim
To dungeons deep and caverns dim
We must away, ere break of day,
To win our harps and gold from him!"

Ayalah

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 06:27:26 PM »
Wow, those are the same hings I had issues with. Not so much the Rivendale stuff. I actually didn't give that a thought. Gandalf was with them. I just figured in my mind his magic allowed them entry. The other mentions though, spot on!

I myself never actually read The Hobbit. I've read the LOTR trilogy and the Silmarillion several times, but never the Hobbit. So changes in the plotline obviously didn't occur to me. It seems however, that the things they changed stick out like a sore thumb lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal