collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Re-haired ponies - value?  (Read 650 times)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
Re-haired ponies - value?
« on: December 14, 2012, 12:21:35 AM »
I just have kind of a general question... if you have a pony and you replace something like a tail, with the correct colors of actual pony hair... how much value difference from one with an original tail would we be talking about?
The pony I have who has a replaced tail is a Happy Glow... in pretty good shape otherwise... tail is extra long because the replacement hair wasn't cut.

Any ideas on how to value her?
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

ValhallaLilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Re-haired ponies - value?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 04:15:26 AM »
stalking because I would like to know too!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 06:33:40 AM »
Well, as a rule it would diminish it's value but ultimately it depends on who's looking. I personally prefer my ponies 100% original and would not pay the same price for a rehaired one as for the intact one.

I guess when you get a PC on her, try to sell her at the lower end on the given value ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 08:34:27 AM »
It affects the value, not a whole lot, but again as stated it depends on the collector. If you do sell make sure you state if something has been replaced...
Seems her average ending price as of late on evil bay is abour $16, I'd take a couple of bucks off... I'm sure others will give you more input soon.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:36:40 AM by mlp4me »

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »
I would not pay much more than the high end of bait price for a rehaired pony. Sorry. That's just my opinion.

Offline Aerora

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »
If it was well done I'd say a couple dollars off from the value? Maybe less, but I'd rather have a rehaired pony than one with an inch-long original tail or something.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »
I'd guess around $10-12, as Happy Glow has been running closer to $14-18 recently.  Of course, that's likely the holiday price inflation so if you are thinking about holding off until after the holidays, maybe $8-10?  But it's personally an even bigger hassle to re-hair for me, so I don't consider it very de-valuing to basically pay for the hair replacement.  Other people who have piles of pony hair sitting around probably would only pay $5-$8.

Crap now I'm rambling again... LOL
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 10:42:12 AM »
As a collector I do want as much original as possible. But ponies hitting some high prices I would have no problem settling for a rehair or restore. I would not pay full price. It would also depend on how well it was done. If it looks like the original pony I would not mind paying maybe $10 for a pony that in mint goes for $15. If it looks low quality I would probably pass unless I could fix it myself:) and then the price would be way low.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:44:10 AM by Crowning_Glory13 »
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 10:57:54 AM »
I pay full price for re-haired ponies if they look fantastic :D

Betelgeuse

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 11:25:01 AM »
Depends, are you using a legit tail washer? Then I'd pay a little lower than what the same condition only with original hair would be. Also, if she was a rarer pony like Ice crystal I wouldn't know because he's rarer. But Happy Glow isn't too rare/htf. I personally have only owned a custom as a rehair. I enjoy how they feel and other than a "original condition" aspect, I see no way that rehairs are not as good.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 11:51:37 AM »
Okay, so, I used the original washer, but honestly, it's my first tail replacement, so it's a washer and a zip-tie. The new owner would probably want to fix it themselves to make it look a little better since she's see-through and it's a bit more obvious than a normal pony, but it's definitely not going anywhere...

I was thinking about 1/2 the value of what she's "worth" at the given time... so, I'm on the same page with you guys who are saying like $5-10 instead of $14+
Obviously I would disclose all details that it was a replacement tail, etc.

This is how she looks at the moment... she now has to go through spa treatment so I can fix her ratty mane...

Also, should I cut the tail, or leave it long? I figured I'd just leave it long for the new owner to do as they please...

Oh and one last thing... I too only buy ponies with original hair, none of mine (to my knowledge) have replacement hair, but, I've seen some amazing ponies who look beautiful rehaired by really skilled people, and if I could afford it, I may buy one (if it was a rehair of an expensive pony). I just felt bad for this Happy Glow so I thought she might be a good and semi easy rehab pony...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:57:10 AM by SunshinePony »

My Want List

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 11:53:33 AM »
I would so want her at the 5 to 10 price. She looks great:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

pony dust

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »
I would rather have a pony that was PERFECTLY re haired with the right colors , cut and length than have a pony with a buzz cut mane and a rust stained tail  lol

I think as long as you state what work has been done and lots of good photos then it is not so bad .

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »
I agree with that pony dust! I have a Starlight (MLP Tales set) who's got a wicked buzzcut... I think her tail is trimmed too... I'd rather have one of her rehaired than the one I have but, alas, she's kinda hard to come by at times.

Once I have a chance to clean her up and make her mane look nice I will be selling Happy Glow... but this post isn't for that - hehe. :)

My Want List

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »
Rehaired doesn't affect the value to me, if it was done in the correct color, styled the same as the original (length, plug thickness, curl if any, etc) - I figure whatever possible decrease in value it may have had has been put back by the fact someone took the time to do the restore work (time + supplies) I would have had to invest anyways. 

In cases where it isn't possible to rehair to factory original (Sunshine ponies, Scribbles/Dabbles, Princess ponies, etc) then I'd probably not pay much over bait price for the pony. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal