collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Smokey pony help  (Read 648 times)

Offline PWN-E

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Smokey pony help
« on: December 13, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
I recently bought a Caramel Crunch off of ebay and when she arrived (in a neat an timely manner) I went to take a big whiff of her candy scent, only to be greeted with the smell of cigarette smoke. (my fault for not noticing that part of the seller's description) After my olfactory bulb recovered from that mess I realized I'm not sure how to fix this. Is there any way to remove the smokey odor without getting rid of the candy scent?

And for that matter, what would you do to get rid of unpleasant smells on a flocked pony, as well?

She's a good pony I found with a few marks on her NDS and flawless hair, I'd hate to have something like this ruin her for me. I might post some pics later.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Smokey pony help
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »
Baking soda, kitty litter and fresh air!

For me I have found the best option is to put a pony in a sealed tupperware or other container along with a jam jar lid or similar filled with baking soda. Leave her for a week. Take her out and stand her somewhere with fresh air for a week. Then back in the container with fresh baking soda...back into the fresh air...repeat as many times to get the smell gone.

You can try kitty litter instead of the soda.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline PWN-E

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I checked back on the seller's listing and there actually was no mention of her smell. Not cool, man. Welp. She's going to be more of a fixer-upper than I initially thought.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 04:12:28 PM »
You can always share with us the ID of the seller, as it's incredibly bad customer service to not disclose cigarette tar and scent.  It's a huge allergen to many, and can even send people to the hospital!  Wouldn't want others in the community to unknowingly have issues.  :) 

But yes, repeated treatments of fresh air and baking soda with kitty litter should do the trick - expect about a month of airing the poor thing out! 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Everythings Peachy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 03:06:54 AM »
I just spray forbreeze on my ponies then they smell fine! :biggrin: :lol:

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 03:26:44 AM »
As others have mentioned fresh air is great to get smoke smell out of stuff.

My mum loves rock-events and such, but alot of people smoke there and she always put her clothes out on the balcony to "air them out" and it really works. A day or so and the smokesmell is completely gone. That is for clothes at least.

I never had to try it on ponies, but after reading the previous replys here it seems like it works on them aswell and I can't say I'm surprised as it does such wonders for clothes :)
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »
You do have to be careful with some things like Febreeze as not all plastic/nylon hair is a fan.

You should certainly contact the seller about the smell if it was not disclosed. In honestly it can be something they didnt think was relevant [although of course it is something vitally important to us as collectors] or if they were a smoker/used to be a smoker may not even have noticed!!!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:46:55 PM »
If the airing out doesn't work, then definitely try the baking soda/kitty litter method Hathorcat described.  It usually works great and won't ruin the scent that the pony is supposed to have.

I agree with the others, if the seller didn't note the smoke scent or that she came from a smoking environment, then that's not a fair description.  The comment above is true though that the seller may not have intended to deceive.  My dad never believed me his place and things he gave me stank back when he was a smoker.  Now that he's quit, he is shocked at how bad his stuff really smells.  He really had no idea.

Offline Desert Rose

• View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 02:43:35 AM »
Just wanna jump in and say I think the seller did mention it:

I went to take a big whiff of her candy scent, only to be greeted with the smell of cigarette smoke. (my fault for not noticing that part of the seller's description)

It's so easy to miss little things like that in descriptions in my experience, especially if it's a very long wall of text :P

I do hope you manage to get her lovely scent back with any of these methods PWN-E :)
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline PWN-E

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »

I went to take a big whiff of her candy scent, only to be greeted with the smell of cigarette smoke. (my fault for not noticing that part of the seller's description)

It's so easy to miss little things like that in descriptions in my experience, especially if it's a very long wall of text :P

I do hope you manage to get her lovely scent back with any of these methods PWN-E :)
I really did go back and look for literally 10 minutes and did not fin a single thing mentioning the smell. I didn't really want to point fingers at anyone right away but they really didn't and that makes me pretty miffed. I'm going to send them a mail when I get the chance to.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've been airing her out so far during the daytime but at night as soon as I go down to the grocery store and get some baking soda I'll keep her sealed up with some.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Feel free to PM me!  :)  *pony hugs*
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Desert Rose

• View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »

I really did go back and look for literally 10 minutes and did not fin a single thing mentioning the smell. I didn't really want to point fingers at anyone right away but they really didn't and that makes me pretty miffed. I'm going to send them a mail when I get the chance to.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've been airing her out so far during the daytime but at night as soon as I go down to the grocery store and get some baking soda I'll keep her sealed up with some.

Ah, my bad. Guess I missunderstood your first post then.

Good for you sending an e-mail pointing it out to them :) Loads of people are allergic and if they haven't thought about it before it would be a great pointer so they add that in future item descriptions.
~*Erica*~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal