collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: EDIT: Introducing a dog to a house full of cats - SHE'S HERE!!! :D  (Read 640 times)

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
So, the time has come finally for us to get a dog. We live in a big-ish house with a nice yard and we have 3 cats.
Our cats are not used to dogs apart from my in-laws' chihuahua, that is smaller than them so I don't really count that.

We are considering adopting a 5 month old female Lab-mix and we are going to bring her over one of these days to see the reaction of all animals. If that doesn't work, we'll probably have to adopt a puppy and raise it with cats.

I am interested in any experiences and tips. My cats range from 1,5-6 yrs old and are generally very good natured. A week ago we found a new home for a male cat that has been stressing our other cats out and peace has returned to the household, but I'm worried a dog might bring the stress back.

I'm only considering having a dog if I can trust it 100% with my cats (I used to have such a dog, and I miss her so much every second of my life). are there any signs I should watch out for in a dog's reaction to my cats. Will there be territory disputes between my cats and a dog or do cats only care about other cats in that way. Is there a best way to introduce a dog to our household.

Also, we're definitely interested in something along the lines of Labs or Golden Retrievers, and their mixes, because of their good nature, but are there any other breeds that are good companions for a multi-species household? Are there any that we should absolutely not consider?

Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated! I will have a lot of time in the next few months to facilitate all this and I think this is the right time if there ever will be one.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:24:25 AM by Vintergatan »
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a dog to a house full of cats
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 09:06:10 AM »
i have 4 cats and 2 dogs, we used to only have cats tho. we just make sure that the dogs are indiferent to cats OR get along well with cats. its taken almost a year for one of my cats to get used to the dogs, but it was never very stressful because our larger dog only wants to lick the cats, not eat them.

cats will eventually get used to having a dog around (over time) or teach the dog not to get near it. so pretty much if its an older dog you want to make sure you KNOW the dog is good with cats. i still have one cat that doesnt like dogs but she just swipes at them when they get to close. as for a puppy its pretty easy to train them to work together.

Cats are mostly teritorial when it comes to other cats, not usually dogs. you may see a lot of puff balls running around for a week or two but if the dog is friendly with cats it wont last long.

Offline Vintergatan

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing a dog to a house full of cats - advice :)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »
Thanks CrazyCatPony! I was thinking it would be that way. I just hope that this 5 month old puppy (we haven't met the cutie yet) will not be aggressive towards kitties and that our cats won't throw a complete fit. I guess it's good that we have an upper floor where the dog won't be able to go (stairs are too steep) and also a bunch of places where cats can climb up to be in peace.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »
It sounds like you still have time ot teach the pup some boundaries if the cats cant agree with it :)

I would do little introductions.  Like, behind doors or inside a crate int he same room, to get everyone familiar with each other, then go from there ^^

Goodluck <3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:54:09 AM »
Myself and my sister have both introduced dogs to cats. Mine being a Chihuahua and hers was a German Shepherd but we both did it the same way and it seems to have been successful. We have even replicated it when introducing our dogs to each others cats/homes.

We made sure if the cats ran to a certain place to stop the dog from following, so the cat knows it has a safe place. It sounds like you already have that.
We then just left it a bit down to nature, no slowly slowly, or crates as it can aggravate the dog. The dog needs to know it is his/her home too. Only ensure they are separated when you are not in the room to supervise. 
We only intervened if the dog was deemed to be pestering the cats - or eating their food! The dog will learn quickly where the boundaries are, both from you and from the cats. If the cats lash out it's important not to tell the cat off as the dog can see this as reason that the cat is bad and needs chasing. Instead tell the dog off for pestering the cats and remove it from near the cats space.

Very quickly the dogs learn and the cats cease to be bothered. In both our houses cat and dog walk past each other without so much as a whisker twitch. 
One of my kitties even plays and cleans my Chi ^_^

You'll find the right way for your house as you go, but the important thing is not to be worried or stressed yourself about it. If you are calm and in control then you can be ready for anything.

Good luck, and be sure to post a piccy of your new pup when he comes home! ^_^

Offline Vintergatan

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 01:11:18 PM »
Thank you both so much! I'll definitely keep these things in mind! I am expecting a call from the lady who has the puppy now and hopefully we'll be able to get her here tomorrow to meet the cats. I'll let you know how it goes, but I really hope it goes well, I'd love to be able to adopt her!
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »
Never actually done that. We always had to do the reverse.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 05:44:07 AM »
Good luck!  Here's my two cents.  My family has always introduced dogs to cats, as our dogs always just show up one day and stick around.  :P

In my experience, it always takes the cats MUCH longer to get used to the dog than the dog getting used to the cats.  Cats will naturally be suspicious as they don't know the dog and are wary that it might chase or hurt them.  What we always did was put the cats away in a room while the dog got used to the house so that the cats could feel safe.  Then the dog would be put up and the cats let out, so they could smell that there was a new dog about and get familiar to its smell.

When we felt it was time to let the dog and cats out at the same time, I teach the dog that the cats are not to be messed with.  I make the dog give the cats a very wide berth, and only let the dog smell the cats from a distance.  That way the cats don't feel threatened.  Once the cats realize that they can be in the same room with the dog and the dog won't be up in their space, they relax and will become curious about the dog and might want to come up and visit with it.  Just make sure the dog doesn't get too excited and try to play (my Pit Bull Sadie tried to play with the cats at first, but since I taught her no, now all she does is clean their faces and the cats absolutely love it! :D ).

Just remember that this can be a long, slow process, so just have patience!  Some cats are more dog tolerant than others, so it might take quite a while for them all to come around and accept the dog.  Good luck to you again!!

Offline Vintergatan

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: EDIT: Introducing a dog to a house full of cats - SHE'S HERE!!! :D
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 06:33:44 AM »
Hello guys! First of all thank you all so much for very valuable input! You have set my mind at ease and today was finally the day that we introduced Yrja, a 7 month old lab mix to our household.

The situation is unbelievable! First of all, my cats! My youngest, Aska, immediately took interest in the dog and has been incredibly brave to the point that we have to shoo her away from Yrja because she's stalking her too much, but all in a very friendly and cuddly manner, as Aska always is :) The other two cats, that were my bigger worry as they had issues with other cats before also seem to be doing great! I'm absolutely amazed! At this point, the only one afraid is Yrja, the dog and she's been in our arms and on our lap constantly, trying to hide herself from our inquisitive kitties. So yes, it seem that we will be keeping her but I would like to know if you guys have any more tips for me :)

I'm slightly afraid that Aska's persistence might drive Yrja to try and defend herself by barking or by some other hostile behaviour (although she has been a sweetheart so far).
Also, is it possible to train the dog not to go for cat food? or will I have to move the cat food to the table and get my kitties to feed there?

Here she is about a month ago, out new little baby :) at the moment she is sleeping in my husband's lap (big as she is ^^) and my kitties are exploring around and coming to me here for occasional approval.

~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »
Such a cute pup!  Hope the cats handle it well.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 09:23:27 AM »
I have no tips but wish you good luck!! Your going to have your hands full!!!  Have fun :)

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 09:27:52 AM »
In regards to keeping your new pup away from the kitty food i think it would be quite difficult especially if your kitties free feed. It may be better to feed them in a secluded area that the puppy can't get to :) We feed my kitties on the landing going down to the basement and just put a baby gate up so the dogs don't eat the kitty food :) You new puppy is positively adorable! Good luck with her :D

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 09:35:29 AM »
my kitty food is on the kitchen counter (since we cant keep them off of it anyway) to keep the dogs out of it.... if your kitty is curious about the pup im sure they will be fine, my cat that stalked the dogs just loves them now. our big dog pounces on her and pins her down then licks her all over, my cat dosent even care.... if the dog does defend its self the cat will do the same and the pup will probably never do it again after one swipe to the nose.... i wouldnt worry about them, it sounds like everyone will adjust well from what you said (and what i've experianced) plus all animals can tell when they are dealing with a baby (bad breath tips them off) so they are nicer because "it just a baby"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal