collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro is starting a NEW approach to merchandise  (Read 7296 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Hasbro is starting a NEW approach to merchandise
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »
I agree that I don't see much difference between Hasbro-designed ponies and Hub-designed ponies.  Twinkleshine is the most boring of them all, IMO, and she is from Hasbro.

(I do agree that the male ponies are an overabundance of grey and brown, though.)

I don't really get all the hate for "plain" ponies anyway.  Up until Year 5 almost every G1 pony had a single hair color, unless they were a unicorn (then they got a mane stripe) or from a special set like the Rainbow ponies or Twinkle-Eye ponies.

It seems like a lot of collectors have favorite G1 ponies who were "only" two colors . . . Firefly, Bubbles, Magic Star, Medley, and so on.   To me the poses, the symbol,s and the colors chosen are way more important than "only one color in the mane" versus "three colors in the mane."
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »
Umm... if ponies are causing you that much grief, perhaps you need to seek professional help and/or move away from collecting. I'm sorry, but it's just a show for kids and toys made for kids. Ponies shouldn't cause that much grief to anybody. :blink:
If it's for kids, why did they cater to bronies and moved it away from slice of life? :(

Why does the show or the ponies make you depressed?
Memories of what happened to me on Facebook and Amazon?
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »
I would like to see them do what they did with the G1 ponies back then. And stop this mane pony thing. Its going to be the end of ponies if they do not do that. Kids are going to get tired of the same ponies over and over. And of course parents are not going to want to buy the same thing over and over.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2012, 06:51:37 PM »
Umm... if ponies are causing you that much grief, perhaps you need to seek professional help and/or move away from collecting. I'm sorry, but it's just a show for kids and toys made for kids. Ponies shouldn't cause that much grief to anybody. :blink:
If it's for kids, why did they cater to bronies and moved it away from slice of life? :(

Why does the show or the ponies make you depressed?
Memories of what happened to me on Facebook and Amazon?

Because of money.

And if you have such a huge problem with it, I strongly agree with everyone who recommended professional help. You bring up that bullying all the time and can't seem to get over it at all. If thinking about MLP for a single minute is enough to depress you, that's a pretty worrying problem.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2012, 06:57:39 PM »

I don't think moving away from slice of life has anything to do with catering to bronies. Tons of little kids like major action/villains/magic/science fiction/etc. Aside from ponies, I'm also a huge Ninja Turtle fan. There's a series where it's par for the course to find monsters, fighting, aliens, and much more, and the current show is primarily geared toward kids (a majority boys ) between the ages of 8-12, NOT the many adults who avidly watch the show. Action-packed series' really are just majorly popular among kids nowadays, it has nothing to do with aiming shows for adults only.

Also, have you seen the show, As Told by Ginger? It ran on Nickelodean a few years ago and it's all slice of life, I can't remember there being any weirdness in it (aside from the typical preteen boy stuff of Ginger's younger brother, but I don't think it ever actually crosses the line into real magic and whatnot). I think you can find all the episodes on youtube, and it might give you something safe to watch if ponies is causing you too much stress. I know I really liked it, and the worst 'bad guys' you'll find are the school mean girls, who are basically just like Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »
I never liked slice of life much, and I'm definitely no brony.   To each their own and all that, but personally I love seeing the villains and adventurous plots.

Except the one with King Sombra.  All he did was hiss about "cryyyystals" a lot.  Boring.

BerryPunch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
I agree that I don't see much difference between Hasbro-designed ponies and Hub-designed ponies.  Twinkleshine is the most boring of them all, IMO, and she is from Hasbro.
Unfortunately, in the show, she is a pretty white pony with a pink mane, but apparently Hasbro wanted to make her a "mini Celestia" and she became all pink.  :mad:

Babushka

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »
I would like to see them do what they did with the G1 ponies back then. And stop this mane pony thing. Its going to be the end of ponies if they do not do that. Kids are going to get tired of the same ponies over and over. And of course parents are not going to want to buy the same thing over and over.

This is what I was thinking a bit. In the 80s and early 90s, many children's shows existed to sell toys (not that little me had a problem with that :silly:). A stronger connection between the TV show and the toy line makes good marketing sense.

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2012, 08:10:50 PM »
Also, have you seen the show, As Told by Ginger? It ran on Nickelodean a few years ago and it's all slice of life, I can't remember there being any weirdness in it (aside from the typical preteen boy stuff of Ginger's younger brother, but I don't think it ever actually crosses the line into real magic and whatnot). I think you can find all the episodes on youtube, and it might give you something safe to watch if ponies is causing you too much stress. I know I really liked it, and the worst 'bad guys' you'll find are the school mean girls, who are basically just like Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.
I've heard of it, but never had a chance to watch it. I may look into it.

Btw, bullies and villains are different things. Bullies don't have superpowers and can be fought without magic.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:14:13 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »
Unfortunately, in the show, she is a pretty white pony with a pink mane, but apparently Hasbro wanted to make her a "mini Celestia" and she became all pink.  :mad:

Actually I think the white pony was probably based on Baby Moondancer, who Lauren Faust mentioned on her DA that she had as a kid.

Twinkleshine might have been based on Princess Twinkle Star.

Twinkle Star is more interesting, though, as she has a more dynamic pose and has clip-on wings.

RareWishes

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »
Well, I do hope it's proven false, or if it's true, Hasbro won't follow through with it. I believe the toys and TV series should be kept separate.

I'm constantly blocking the TV series from my mind since my meltdown earlier this year. Thinking about the TV series for too long (as in, for more than one minute) results in my depression kicking in. Right now the reason I'm still collecting the toys is that they're in a different universe from the TV series. If Hasbro integrates the two line, well, I will have to let the toys go as well, lest I want to live in constant deep depression.

To be honest, after I made my earlier post, I let my mind digest what it read. I ended up trying to get through the entire day while trying to suppress my depression. It wasn't fun.

Before he even seeks professional help, maybe he should change his icon to something that ISN'T from the show?   :P  If even thinking about the show depresses him, making a post must be highly distressing for him.  Just a thought.

On-topic, I saw someone recently post something about how there wasn't going to be must variety in the Crystal Empire toy line.  With even the wingless Ploomette still unconfirmed, we have no idea when they next non-mane 6 pony will appear.  In my view, we were already experiencing the worst case scenario in lack of variety.  All this will do is change things up, and hopefully it will be for the better.  I'm still crossing my fingers for the impossible Octavia playful-sized brushable!

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2012, 08:48:07 PM »
They have sooo many blind bag ponies to choose from to turn into brushables. Come on Hasbro, get crackin'.

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
Before he even seeks professional help, maybe he should change his icon to something that ISN'T from the show?   :P  If even thinking about the show depresses him, making a post must be highly distressing for him.  Just a thought.
As you wish.

I will stop reading this thread from now on. But I'm standing my ground. If Hasbro goes this way, I will stop collecting.

Bag of Magic Food

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2012, 09:39:32 PM »
Btw, bullies and villains are different things. Bullies don't have superpowers and can be fought without magic.
Friendship Is Magic has some of both, and some that are in between--and sometimes even the magical adversaries are beaten without fighting or magic.  In Season 3 alone so far, they've used trickery, coming to an understanding, and even throwing a party (in the Crystal Empire) to win the day.  So I like that they haven't run out of ideas there.

I don't know how all this "unification" we're hearing about would mess up your enjoyment of the toys all that much.  To me it sounds like they're just trying to ensure that kids don't think "Who the heck is this?" when they go from one medium to another.

Betelgeuse

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2012, 10:56:13 PM »
Because not all kids like to be bored with real life.
I myself am a hardcore fantasy, adventure, danger lover, even as a small child. My imagination was filled with constant sword battles and a struggle of light and dark, not giggling parties and "real world issues" 24/7. Kids get that a lot in the real world. It's good to have shows that show an actual plot.
If cartoons were all the way YOU wanted, I would have been bored and a very frustrated kid, as would a lot of other kids. There already are MANY slice of life shows. They're just not "mainstream" and require some work to actually find out about them.
And I agree with what others have said; if something depresses someone, they'd have to be insane or enjoy bringing themselves pain to keep going on about it and bringing it up. You're an adult I presume, therefore you can easily distance yourself from what depresses you unlike kids who often have to stay near their triggers in school.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal