collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advent calendars?  (Read 436 times)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Advent calendars?
« on: December 09, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »
Just wondering if anypony still does these for their little ones, or for themselves? 

I know I was sorely tempted by this pretty one at Starbucks (but as I prefer milk chocolate, decided against it).

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As for my son, I used to wrap a really big box, then wrapped twenty-four teeny presents (from stickers to erasers and other gacha-type gadgetry a kid likes), stuck them to it, then let him take one a day.  This year, however, since his letter to Santa asked him to feed the poor and help the people in the third world who recycle our e-waste (social conscience much?), I did sort of the same thing, but with a twist.  He still gets one of twenty-four teeny presents each day, but for every present he opens, he also opens a little scroll that discloses a small donation I'd made in his name to one of twenty-four charitable organizations, from the local food bank to UNICEF.  That way, he kinda gives a little as he gets a little. ^.^

How do others out there count down the days until Christmas?  Please share your calendars or ideas!

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
Re: Advent calendars?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »
I have some Filly advent calendars.  Love them.  Trying to sell my extras.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 04:22:33 PM »
This year I only have a Milka bar advent calendar that you open the doors on and it shows a picture and you eat the bar on the last day.  Cute idea.  I usually always have this fabric advent calendar that I have had since I was a little girl.  It is green fabric with a picture of Santa and Mrs. Claus in front of the fireplace at the top.  It has numbered pockets and a fabric mouse that you move to the next pouch every day.  I know my aunt has a wooden one with doors on it that she lets her grandchildren open.  She puts candy in it.  My cousins have one that their mom made with fabric and beads, etc. That has pouches with a different fabric ornament that you take out and put on the tree at the top with velcro.  Finally, I remember in kindergarten that we got these Santa cutouts with numbered lines on his beard and we cut one off every day and his beard got shorter as it got closer to Christmas.  I love advent calendars.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »
I got a Ferrero chocolate one this year :D usually we just get the usual cheap ones.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 08:15:28 PM »
Every year, my family did a Playmobil one.  My sister and I would switch off every other day to open the boxes and it was always so exciting to wake up in the morning!  Since moving out, I haven't had space for one.  This year for the first time, my mom set up another Playmobil one just for herself, since my sister is halfway across the country for school and I no longer live at home.  She keeps sending us pics of what was in the box, it's so funny!  She said she finally understands why we were so nuts about them!  XD

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 09:28:25 PM »
The only advent calendar I'm using is the one on Neopets. :silly:

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline PrincessOfDarkness

• Queen of the Zombie Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • my dA
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »
I wanted to make one this year... but I ran out of time, so instead we all have a Freddo calendar! :D A delicious freddo frog every day? Its win-win!!!

:heart:  Never really open for commissions, but can be bribed ;)  :heart: SOOOO much Love to Jupi for my amazing Cupcake Zombie :heart:

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 12:50:46 AM »
I have 4 advent calendars so no need to buy myself another one lol

I got one from my mom - it's a tea advent calendar with one tea bag for each day.

My boss bought an chocolate calender (called sexy-xmas) don't need it, even don't like the chocolate but he buys it every year for us lol

Then my bf made me a calendar

and of course I entered the german pony board calendar swap :D
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 01:45:17 AM »
This is my first year without a chocolate calendar. :( I aways buy one but this year they were out of stock everywhere and some stores even deciced not to have any at all! I saw an amazing Lego Star Wars calendar but I couldn't bring me to pay 37usd for one. I need those cash somewhere else. I was going to try to catch TVs calendar as well, but with my weird workhours I have missed every episode.

I do follow a pony calendar a girl posts on the Swedish mlpforum but that is all.. and to make this not sound so bad, I decided that I am allowed to eat any candy up til christmas each and every day instead (usually I only eay candy friday-sunday, except the chocolate calendar) and I really like that! I have a bowl of chocolate in front of me every day!  :lol:

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:37:47 AM »
Every year, I buy (with the exception of this year) one of those chocolate advent calendars that has a little piece of chocolate every day until Christmas Eve. My parents also have an advent calendar of a Christmas tree with velcro ornaments and each day, my sisters and I would take turns putting up an ornament until Christmas.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 10:52:33 AM »
Does PonyIsland's advent calendar count?  XD

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »
Well, I'm in the advent calendar swap this year.  And that is awesome!  Love having a present to open every day.

Also, normally I just buy cheap chocolate ones for my kids, this year however, I splurged and got my son the lego star wars one, and my daughter the lego city one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal