collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Suggestions for a pinched nerve?  (Read 254 times)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Suggestions for a pinched nerve?
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »
..Or, I think thats what it is <3

Long story short, ive had throbbing pain comming from my elbow all week which started when I put pressure on it.  Sometimes I cant bend it at all and sometimes the pain will shoot up my arm into my shoulders and neck or down my arm into my wrist and fingers.

Ive tried tylonol (well, midol>>), an ice pac, and ignoring it, hoping that its a 3 or 4 day thing that will eventually go away.  Theres no swelling thats major and the area isnt really red...seems to be originating form inside the joint.  Might be a touch warm but not enough to throw anything off.

It was tolerable the first few days but flared 2 days ago and its just staying in that range.

Unfortunately im in a situation where its my dominant arm and it has to be bent and moved, or pressure applied (like, opening a container or putting on a coat).  Any suggestions to ease off the pain while I wait for it to scram?^^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a pinched nerve?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »
Definitely sounds like a pinched nerve. I would personally go get scans if possible to see if there's anything wrong with your spine around the neck area, since the pain goes from your neck down the whole arm at times. My dad had pain like this from a disc problem in his neck, and now uses TENS machines to remove the pain, because surgery was too risky. Works wonders for him.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »
I deal with this all of the time and its hell let me tell ya.  I have tens units, muscle stim units and pain medication because I have herniated discs in my neck and back that put pressure on the nerves. This in turn causes me extreme pain in my right arm and hand along with right leg and toes. There are some days I can't bend my finger or move my joints.  I need to go back on my anti inflammatory diet which is wheat, sugar and dairy free also beef free.  I use ice on my neck and heat on my arm.  It takes a long time to stop a flare for me sometimes months.  I do neck exercises too.  Massage would be good I just can't afford it right now.  Sometimes I can't even walk normally.  Sadly the meds I get over the counter do very little for my pain. I do use them though because I figure they are reducing some inflammation. I also go to a Chiropractor. Hugs..so sorry. :huh:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:58:58 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »
Ouch ouch ouch.  I used to have problems with a chronic pinched sciatic nerve because of the way my hips were all messed up.  Some things that helped were acupuncture (super scary for someone whose fear of needles is only a small bump down from full-blown phobia lol) and deep-tissue massage (sometimes this helped, not always).

But the best thing that I ended up finding was my physical therapist.  He did something called dry-needling, which is similar to acupuncture, only the needles are a little different and go slightly deeper, AHHHH!  He put a few of the needles in certain places along my back and hips and then attached what looked like little jumper cables to them and ran small currents through specific channels.  My whole back was moving like it was alive (super weird) and when he was done, he put a heat pack on and had me lie still for a while to let the muscles relax.  I had a few weeks of no pain after that.

I haven't had trouble with the nerve since my surgeries though, since it fixed the root cause of the problem.  If you find that it's a chronic thing, then it might be a good idea to get it checked out.  If it's just once in a while, then I would suggest heat rather than ice.  It relaxes the muscles and hopefully loosens their hold on the poor nerve.  That's what worked for me at least.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 09:30:31 PM »
Ick! That sounds awful! I hope it's better soon!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:49:28 AM »
I'd definitely get a professional opinion and possibly see a chiropractor.  :hug:

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »
just came back from the doctors..didnt get much help other then it might be nerve/muscle damage and to get x rays done to be onthe safe side.

Its progessing worse and worse.  Ive completely lost movement in that area and the pain is alot like a broken or fractured bone. Its also a bit warm and swollen. Even when its straight, any tense movement will flare the whole thing up

he didnt put me on anything special, im just hoping the tylonol will actually start to do its job

Guess ill know in a few days

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »
Owwie! You make my compassion hurt, if that makes sense :yikes:
Sure hope it's better soon :(

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »
Scary!  :(  I hope you feel better soon!

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal