collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question of Hair  (Read 225 times)

Glitchie

• Trade Count: (0)
Question of Hair
« on: December 08, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »
Hey all, I FINALLY got my dad to help me with taking the tails apart on my birthflower ponies to get them ready to sell. Only bad thing is, instead of waiting to put the first zip tie on, he undid ALL the metal rings on the tail and then handed it to me, and of course there were fly aways and such so I didn't get all the hair and the tails have become a bit thin on some because of this. My question is, would putting the first zip tie on the tail have prevented this or not, and would it in fact be better now to buy the pink hair to fix the tails that have become thinned? The fly aways were so bad that I couldn't sort them out to get them back in the tails so I just made a hair ball and threw it away. I have yet to clean them inside. I went ahead and was taking the tails apart because I noticed some discoloration on the inside and wanted to do a derust to see if that helped.

Glitchie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Question of Hair
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:41:23 AM »
I apologise if I have not 100% understood what you are asking?

All I can say is what I have mentioned in your threads before, you will often devalue ponies if you try to fix or improve them in some way when 1) they either do not need it or 2) you are not 100% proficient in what you are doing. In addition it depends on how much hair you need to replace - often people will prefer original hair over replacement hair. Birthflower ponies dont have a great value so unfortunately I think you will not find it very cost effective to purchase hair and then try and resell ponies which are no longer in their original condition. You would be better offering them in their current hair condition for lower than their worth if minty and simply allowing people to fix them up - through new or sourced original hair - themselves.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Glitchie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:33:14 AM »
I'd wanted to derust some tails on them because when I checked them on the inside, there were some rust spots. I think between all 12, there were enough strands lost to make like 10% of one tail lost. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »
In future I wouldn't bother trying any time consuming clean-ups if you are planning on reselling as it is a lot of hard work and not worth the effort. If I am am selling ponies all I do is give them a quick clean, condition and style their hair and then sell as they are. It is up then up to the buyer to clean up further if they so wish to.

In your situation I would probably make as many full tails out of the remaining hair that you have and then you should have 1 pony left with a very sparse tail rather than 12 ponies with sparse tails.

Offline flowersinherhair

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »
I'm going to echo what others have said and say that it's probably best to sell them as-is, rather than buying replacement hair. The good news about this situation is that the birthflowers aren't super valuable, so no great harm has been done. In the future, I'd advise you to keep the tail clamps in place. In my experience, it's only the washers that rust, not the clamps (and if the clamps appear rusty, it's usually rust that came from the washers and adhered to the clamps). To remove tail rust, I take the washer off the tail, work some toothpaste and water into the rusty hair, and then wash the tail with shampoo. That usually takes care of the problem. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal