collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Horse Renny is close to having her baby! on Foal watch  (Read 16202 times)

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
Re: My Horse Renny is close to having her baby! on Foal watch
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
I am wondering since the foal will probably be rather big due to its parentage (stupid people, leaving such a tiny thing with a clyde) if it would be possible for her to have a C-section?  I don't know if horses can have them or not, but it would seem like a good option so you do not lose either of them during labor.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2013, 07:54:48 PM »
Generally speaking, Midnight_Dream.  The mare determines the maximum size of the foal.  Not the stallion.  She should be fine for size, her age and condition may be more the issue.

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2013, 10:11:16 PM »
shes 18 hands, by no means small actually LOL.

and her flanks were sunk in today.    and actually her belly is enormous.   shes very wide and her belly wags back and forth when she walks :)

she seemed more pointey tonite in her belly base towards the middle.
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

SparklersOasis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2013, 06:48:43 AM »
If you notice any white hard stuff at the end of her teats, get ready!  Mares usually wax up within a day or so of foaling.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2013, 07:41:29 AM »
I feel like a nervous sort who is pacing back and forth in the "expectant parent room" at the hospital. XD C'mon baby! We're waiting to see you.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »
Generally speaking, Midnight_Dream.  The mare determines the maximum size of the foal.  Not the stallion.  She should be fine for size, her age and condition may be more the issue.

Oh! I did not know that honestly or if I did I must have forgotten, either way thank you Xeevee.  I am still wondering if horses can have C-sections though?  I have never heard about it being done, but it seems that it would make sense given Renny's high risk due to her age.

Offline TwoMore

• Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+72)
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2013, 03:02:31 PM »
Im not a vet, but our family foaled dozens of babies and i have never heard of a horse c-section. Even for the mares of high value, it would come down to the mares life or the foals. Because of a horse's large size, major surgerys are hard to recover from. Large animals are hard to restrain and can sometimes panic when restrained causing further damage to themselves.  Thats why leg breaks are often fatal.
Also hoses cant lay down for significant amount of times. Its bad for their organs.

Offline Skylar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+211)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2013, 05:48:21 PM »
I feel like a nervous sort who is pacing back and forth in the "expectant parent room" at the hospital. XD C'mon baby! We're waiting to see you.

I know the feeling! I think I need a strong drink to calm my breathing!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2013, 06:28:45 PM »
Can't be too much longer now - surely!!!???  XD  As much as this horse is stringing us all out, I'm enjoying hearing all the teensiest developments  :)

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2013, 06:41:47 PM »
No c sections. If the baby dies they can remove it but it all comes out the same place it would naturally. They usually never worry about when it comes because it CAN vary so much mare to mare.

18 hands is draft horse size. Is she a cross? I thought she was a saddlebred? 17 would be pushing it. She looks like a smaller horse.

There have been large studs bred to ponys and it works ou fine. Very odd mixes out there. It's good to know breeding date though.

A good breeder or reproduction vet will know a lot more about when she will foal. Get her out in the light and get a pic of her undersides. Milk veins. Is she producing any fluid? You can test the ph. Forgot what the numbers are but a change tells you it's coming!!!
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »
She is pure american saddlebred. she is on the absolute high end of her breed.  yes she IS 18 hands.  here is a daylight picture from october.   so you can see her size.  :P  she is by no means at all small.   
 https://picasaweb.google.com/116832912685484526024/MyHorses#5840963837955801506

and as i have stated multiple times i have no idea of the exact breeding date. i would LOVE to know. but i do not have the co-operation of the seller.   renny is a rescue horse.  i have only scraps on her history and even that is debatable :(

also can i please ask that the mentioning of dead foals be kept out of this thread. im pretty stressed about my mare and the fact that the nasty person who i saved her from decided to tell me a few weeks ago that renny has trouble foaling and her last foal died and she almost did too.   so Please i ask not to mention dying or dead foals.   :cry:  i do not want to read that in this thread.  this is a watch thread.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:33:26 PM by babylicketysplit »
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2013, 10:04:18 PM »
totally understand.
you may want to put some of that in the first post, as a lot of people don't read all the previous post before they say something.

i think it's wonderful what you did. horses may scare me a bit, but i believe they are beautiful animals and deserved to be treated with love and respect. i'll be praying for your foal and the mama.
<3

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2013, 10:05:43 PM »
what a gorgeous pic that is!!! she is definitely a bit of a big'un :)

Offline Beachball

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2013, 10:13:49 PM »
Renny was no doubt skin and bones the last time she foaled. Now with her health and strength back, she has an edge in the surviving this foaling. The baby has an edge in surviving too because its mama have been well-fed for a long while so the baby has been getting plenty of nutrients.

My Pokémon Blog: http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/

Rainsong

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2013, 07:51:32 AM »
She's gorgeous, but oh my god she's so TALL! I'd never be able to halter her if she did that "Let's lift our head in the air and be a buttface" move! Then again, I'm only 5'2" ... Renny would make me look like a six year old :)

I say a prayer every time I see this thread, or think of it - which is at least 3 times a day, sometimes 10+. Have been since Christmas time. Keep in mind her ex-owners let her get to the state she was in, so who knows how well they treated her - they should be shot, treating any living thing like that. But Renny (and her baby) have their miracle worker, and you take great care of them, so they'll do wonderfully.

Suddenly, I miss that Suffolk Punch mare I got to sit on once. She was a real sweetheart, but sitting on a draft mare was like sitting sideways on a couch - and my hips didn't know what to think of that!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal