collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Collectors vs. Scalpers  (Read 5797 times)

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
Re: Collectors vs. Scalpers
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2012, 06:04:41 PM »
Some people think selling Wave 1 dolls for more than $25 is scalping.  Some think wanting to get $100 for their Gil is scalping.  I don't understand that.  Why can't I get a fair price for what I own, without feeling guilty?  (hypothetical.  I don't sell dolls.  People are much to picky about their dolls which makes selling way too stressful!  Just about all my trade points are purchases ;))
Yeah, I don't understand the complaints in cases like that either.  I see people complain about the prices of some of the out of circulation g4 ponies now and then (I'm looking at you, Lily Blossom and Fashion Style Applejack), and don't understand why some buyers get their knickers in a wad about wanting to pay retail prices for something that's hasn't been on the shelf for a few years.  To me, part of having a collection is understanding that you're going to pay a higher price for things that aren't being made anymore.  You have to make decisions about what you're willing to pay a premium for.  It's not like I can go on eBay and start demanding that sellers reduce their prices of Mimic down for the $4 or so that she was in the '80's. 

StormyRavenNeko

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2012, 11:02:13 AM »
I just wanted to throw this out there: the ONLY point I have yet to see on this subject is that very few realize that some of those auctions start off as $0.99 auctions.  It goes as high as the bidder feels that the item is worth, of course there are some cases of illegal shill bids but those are usually taken care of.  Honestly these people are not "scalpers", scalping is a term used for those who sell things for a higher price illegally like CONCERT TICKETS. They're resellers since it's not illegal for toys to be bought for a lower price and turn around and sold for a higher price, and it's probably a life style for most or a source of extra income that regular work in this economy cannot provide to try to get ahead in life. I've watched the pony market for example - I know there are a few in the market who take advantage of a low price on more valuable items and turn around a resell it for higher after having it for a few months or sometimes right away. Dolls are no different. I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone and not trying to defend any one. I'll admit though that my husband likes to resell if he finds that there's a profit to be made regardless if it is Monster High or Walking Dead or what ever is at the time high selling/sought after item - it helps us out since we have a room empty that is supposed to be rented out and it keeps our house warm and food in our fridge. If I personally sell anything I do go off of market value - what did the last people who bought these items get them for, how much was one willing to spend to get it. Most of us have posted asking for the market value on the items we were looking to sell no matter the reasoning or the item.

I love hunting for new dolls, but if it's not in stock I'm not going to blame a fellow collector or reseller or a parent for there not being stock. It's life and we can just move on.  Maybe it's me and my "oh well, I'll get it next time" mentality, I'm not going to stomp my feet and hold my breath because someone walked out with a cart full of what ever and didn't leave me one. There are times where I just wait until the new factor wears down and I can find what I am looking for.

Offline zannid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2012, 11:57:16 PM »
I just wanted to throw this out there: the ONLY point I have yet to see on this subject is that very few realize that some of those auctions start off as $0.99 auctions.  It goes as high as the bidder feels that the item is worth, of course there are some cases of illegal shill bids but those are usually taken care of.

Yeah, I saw some people on tumblr badmouthing some poor seller for how high her dolls were going for when the starting price was $0.99!

I know I sometimes go "guys, why are you having a bidwar 6 days before the auction ends?  >_<" but to actually take out your anger on the seller or the people bidding is just wrong. Buyers have a right to bid however much they want on something. If it takes a $20 doll up to $100, well then that's market value! Besides, if no one bid a higher price, it wouldn't go up, since that's how ebay works nowadays!

I mean, I've decided I'm not getting some of the older dolls because I know current sale value is the price of 3-6 dolls new from the store. That's my decision. If someone else really loves that doll/is willing to pay that much? That's their decision! I know I've bid pretty high prices on some Sailor Moon stuff because it couldn't be bought in stores anymore.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
I suppose the demand/scalpers were why TRU raised the price of Zecora from 6.49 (or whatever it was) to $17.  THey want a slice of that desperation pie too....

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
I suppose the demand/scalpers were why TRU raised the price of Zecora from 6.49 (or whatever it was) to $17.  THey want a slice of that desperation pie too....

And as a result, she is plentiful in the stores now. Well, at least she is here. Raising the prices can really help cut back on scalpers. They have a smaller profit margin.

On a side note, looks like Skelita and Jinafire prices on Ebay have started to fall. Thats a good thing :)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
I'd say scalpers.  They buy 10 of the same monster high doll to make extra money.  They have no interest in the dolls and they leave 10 people with no doll.  10 collectors who don't get a doll, whether they are kids or adults.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal