collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Official Disney Thread~ Go see Wreck-It Ralph!  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Official Disney Thread~ Go see Wreck-It Ralph!
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »
My emotional attachment to Beauty and the Beast borders on the absurd. I've just felt so strongly connected to Belle for as long as I can remember. Seeing the movie in theaters again during the 3D re-release last year? Moved me to tears. Looking at all the pictures of Beast's Castle in New Fantasyland? Practically moved me to tears. I don't know how I would even deal with actually being there in person, it would be overwhelming (in a good way)! Regardless, it's definitely a life goal of mine to visit now.

While I still love the princesses, I've grown more and more fond of the villains as I've gotten older. I am crazy in love with Maleficent and Ursula, as distinct characters, practically removed from the context of their movies. I love to collect their merchandise just as much if not more than my BatB.

And I agree, everyone should go see Wreck-It Ralph. It's just a wonderful, sweet movie.

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2012, 07:09:01 AM »
StarDapple, I can see what you're getting at, I think! I have many friends who consider everything Pixar to be perfect. Personally, I can't get behind "Cars" because it was so blatantly made for young boys and I am selfish. ;) I want something deep; something I can discuss over tea and call a "film."

"Wall-E" had its moments, but for reasons similar to what you stated, it is not part of my collection.

If you have not seen "Up," I think you should give it a try! I've found to be one of their most powerful works.

The "Toy Story" series stayed pretty solid for me the whole way through, which is impressive given that it's a trilogy!

Anyway, talking strictly Disney... I am one of those "Lion King" kids for sure, though as a young child, I used to watch "The Little Mermaid" day in, day out! :) I also love movies from their "Sketchy" phase, like "Sword in the Stone." That style was so delightfully expressive!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 07:42:33 AM »
Lion King was so well done.  And the music impressive and powerful.  I feel the same way about the music in Hunchback, although I still can't get over what Disney did to the story.  I've read the book and it is a tragic story where everyone dies or is unhappy except the goat and Esmeralda's husband.  Yes, husband.  In the book she "marries" some strange man (not Pheobus who is portrayed as a womanizer who does not love Esmeralda)  You have to read it to understand why the "marries" is in quotes. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

rayechu

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »
Oh god, I live 5 minutes from pixar and I feel like a super jerk for being mostly bored by them. I think my biggest problem with pixar is that it is so male-oriented. I did however enjoy The Incredibles and I was very happy with Brave so I hope I will like their future projects as well.

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »
Oh god, I live 5 minutes from pixar and I feel like a super jerk for being mostly bored by them. I think my biggest problem with pixar is that it is so male-oriented. I did however enjoy The Incredibles and I was very happy with Brave so I hope I will like their future projects as well.

Actually, I completely agree with you on the male-oriented thing. That's a big problem with Pixar. Brave was a big deal because of that. I hope they make more films where the main character(s) are female.

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
I'm one of those Lion King/ Beauty and the Beast kids. I grew up with lady and the tramp and Cinderella. I remember going to the Disney store for high quality items. Alot has changed since then including releasing nothing but CGI movies.

I am simply not a pixar fan. They lack that special feeling you get from hand drawn animation.

Up was sorta cute after the depressing beginning. The beginning kinda ruined it for me. I am willing to go see wreck it ralph when it comes out to rent.

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 06:17:23 PM »
I am simply not a pixar fan. They lack that special feeling you get from hand drawn animation

I think I love Pixar for their storytelling, because imo they are sooo good at it (like Toy Story, Finding Nemo as my favs). I don't dislike a film based on the fact it's CGI, but I'm really not happy that like every movie is now CGI. There's definitely a give-and-take happening though. I was sooo stoked for the Princess and the Frog because it was harking back to those great hand-animated features, but then I thought the story was really badly executed and ended up not enjoying it at all.

But overall I definitely agree. I feel like losing all the beautiful and lush painted backgrounds, etc., is a real loss. I remember watching the "previews" for Aladdin and the animators showing how they made the characters move. It was so cool. I really hate how animated films are generally linked with "childish" impression. First of all, films like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc., were not shallow. Yet a lot of people come away with that impression, like 'it's animated? those movies are for kids.' -> implies the movie is stupid. What the heck??? (I also get a LOT of crap at my house for liking Disney films, stuffed animals, etc., like ~that's for kids grow up!~). I feel like hand-drawn animation isn't seen as viable for really profound stories now. And society also seems to think that it's too old-fashioned to be relevant. Why are animated stories always thought of as "less" than stories told with real-action or even CGI films? And what is with the CGI proliferation anyway?? Is it mainly Pixar's success...? I suppose there was also that movie Avatar that got everyone all hyped up for ~3D films~ (I don't even like them!).

:( I feel like hand-drawn animation has been left in the dust for no good reason. I don't think it's, for example, Pixar's fault, but I do think it's probably related to Pixar's success...? (And maybe hand-drawn animation is more expensive, but I don't know, the credits on a Pixar film are huge.) Hand-drawn animation has really been relegated to that "only for dumb kid's stuff" more than ever I feel...at least in USA. I know some countries, like Japan, have actually figured out how viable the medium is. e_e (Well, I guess anime probably isn't hand-drawn these days, but it does have the look of hand-drawn animation.)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 07:08:16 PM »
I think Princess and the Frog ruined it for hand drawn.  Disney blames its lack of success on the animation when it is entirely the fault of poor storyline design.  It had the potential for greatness. 

Then Tangled is a big success and it is CG so they are reaffirmed in their thinking instead of realizing that Tangled had an incredibly good story and was well executed.  It would have been a hit if it was hand drawn too (and I still wish it was because Rapunzel is my favorite tale and I prefer the magic of hand drawn animation). 

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2012, 08:56:29 PM »
I don't think either hand drawn or CGI has any advantage over the other. Both are only as good as the effort put into them. Bad hand drawn is just as hideous as bad CGI. And anyways they are very close to the point where CGI looks like hand drawn. The short "Paperman" really seems to blur the line between CGI and hand drawn.

The way some people hold hand drawn above CGI bugs me. It is the same kind of mentality artists who work with digital illustration tools have to sometimes deal with. Creating with a program is just as difficult as drawing with pencil and paper. There is no "create art" button that can be clicked and art appears as if by magic. It is just different tools that an artist can use.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 04:31:42 AM »
I watched Up.  It failed completely to hold my interest.  The only part I liked was the "SQUIRREL!!!" part, and the Doberman, cuz I love Dobermans.  <3

I personally MUCH prefer traditional, hand drawn animation.  There is just so much more life in them, to me, than in CGI pics.  All of my favorite Disney movies are hand drawn.  I would have loved it if Rapunzel had been hand drawn too.  I love Tangled, but I saw some of Glen Keane's art for it, and was blown away!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2012, 07:25:55 AM »
I don't think either hand drawn or CGI has any advantage over the other. Both are only as good as the effort put into them. Bad hand drawn is just as hideous as bad CGI.

I think Disney is starting to believe that CGI IS better than hand drawn and will get them more revenue.  I don't believe one is better than the other, but I hate to see hand drawn fizzling out. 

The way some people hold hand drawn above CGI bugs me.

I prefer hand drawn.  I like how it looks better.  I think it looks more "magical" and appealing.  But those are my athletics.  I like CGI too especially now that it is really getting good looking.  Finding Nemo is amazing in CGI and I wouldn't have preferred hand drawn for it.  In fact, I like CGI mixed with hand drawn best.  Mixing the two media produces something very special.

With Tangled, I loved the CGI animation but because I prefer the look of hand drawn I wished this movie would have been hand drawn.  I love the hand drawn art of her I have seen and because the story has always been my favorite, I would have wanted her to be in my favorite style.  I wanted it to look like a painting like some of the original art for it.  Maybe mix some CGI with the hand drawn art, but give it that classic amazing hand drawn touch.  But, that said, the movie was spectacular.  The CGI looks amazing, especially with her hair, and I can not really complain much about how it turned out in CGI form even if I wanted it to be hand drawn.   

Offline Bellevi

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2012, 10:37:53 PM »
I saw Wreck-It Ralph. I liked it, but it also felt really condensed, like they really wanted to expand on this world the creative team came up with, but time constraints didn't allow it. Can't blame them for not wanting to make a 2 hour family movie.

Paperman looked great, but I feel like the woman looked like so many CGI-animated women. Big ol' eyes, round face, button nose. Can't the ladies have interesting faces?

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2012, 04:42:06 AM »
Paperman looked great, but I feel like the woman looked like so many CGI-animated women. Big ol' eyes, round face, button nose. Can't the ladies have interesting faces?

Aw, I LOVED her!  I thought she was unique looking and I really liked her hair.  But you are right about most CGI having big eyes and rounder faces.  This however was a fusion of 2D and CGI from what I read.  Not sure how that works but it felt like a little of both to me with an emphasis on the hand drawn.  So I thought it looked more hand drawn than anything else. 

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 09:41:48 AM »
She just looks like your typical "Disney" girl. Tiana kind of had that look too.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 09:49:12 AM »
She just looks like your typical "Disney" girl. Tiana kind of had that look too.

Yes, that is true.  I guess I like that look, although Disney can (and has) done some girls who look less typical.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal