collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Official Disney Thread~ Go see Wreck-It Ralph!  (Read 1183 times)

lithiumkat

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Official Disney Thread~ Go see Wreck-It Ralph!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 12:10:59 PM »
Wreck-It-Ralph was totally awesome. My boyfriend and I went to see it and we both LOVED IT. Turned us into mush though. Wreck-it-Ralph is a good one that can appeal to guys or gals equally it's got the cuteness and aww factor that most girls love, as well as a strong female character. Ralph is great cuz he's misunderstood and has an inner battle to fight, and all the retro video game references are loved by gals and guys alike. Me and the boyfriend had a really mutually good time at this one, unlike Frankenweenie which I loved and he said was lame.

I love a lot of classic Disney movies as well. Ariel is my favorite Disney Princess, I also love Pocahontas. I haven't seen Rapunzel or Brave though I would like to and the BF has mentioned wanting to see Brave so I will probably milk that for all it's worth and talk him into renting it or something for us.

Lilo and Stitch is an absolute fave, saw it when it came out in theaters, and used to have the dvd but it got stolen when I went through a particularly nasty breakup along with my special edition Finding Nemo (Which really sucks as I've looked on amazon and that one is EXPENSIVE to replace and original was a Christmas gift from the folks, still makes me sad and this happened YEARS ago...)

A favorite from Childhood is Alice in Wonderland and the Cheshire cat in Particular, I liked the newer one, but not as much as I thought I would. The original is still best. Alice doesn't get enough publicity. Also one of my favorite books.

I also really rather like some of the Villians too now that I'm older :) Would love to have some of their merch though I don't yet.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 02:24:03 PM »
I've been a huge Disney fan for many, many years. Disneyland Paris is like a second home to me, even though I can't afford to visit more than once a year :P

For movies, I love The Lion King. Simba has been my favorite character from any movie or series for many a year now. I'm also a huge fan of Lilo & Stitch, Aladdin, Mulan and Oliver & Company. I really want to see Wreck it Ralph, but from what I understand UK is one of the last countries to receive it :(

Also, I still prefer 2D animation over 3D in most Disney films. I'm sad they're turning to 3D :(

Oh yes, and I LOVE Epic Mickey. I've always been curious about Oswald, so that was another reason I had to buy it. And I love Gus too.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:31:06 PM by Sora »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 03:55:59 AM »
My dad keeps a video on his phone of the time I was like, six? at disneyland and the Baloo person in costume scared me and I pushed and knocked them into the bushes and the Chip person in costume chased me and I ran away screaming.

Thanks for filming it, dad. THANKS FOR NOT RESCUING ME.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 05:05:14 AM »
I love Disney
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline StarDapple

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 06:06:20 AM »
StarDapple, what are your thoughts on not liking the Pixar films? Do they just feel too long, or something else? I'm curious what you think.  :) I'm a big fan but I'm interested why you feel differently!

I think the length may be part of it, but I'm not entirely sure on that either, since I can watch the extended cut of Lord of the Rings with no problem.

I honestly think that, to me, Pixar tries too hard.  Like in Wall-E, it just seems like they kept shoving the point of the movie in my face.  Kind of like "DO YOU GET IT???  People got super lazy and trashed the planet and now they're FAT!  And they can't do anything!  GET IT?!?!"  It's great that they are trying to put messages and themes in their movies, but I think it would be much better to be more subtle about it. 

And though I haven't seen Brave, it seems like they are doing the same thing.  They want to break the Princess mold, which is fine, but from what I've seen and read it just feels like that point is way too in your face.  And besides, didn't they already do this with Mulan (which is an excellent movie IMO)?

Even when they aren't trying too hard, most Pixar movies just don't hold my interest.  I've actually ended up falling asleep while watching several of them.   ^^;

I'm not trying to bash anyone that likes or loves Pixar, these are just my opinions.  You love animation too, and that's great!   :happy:

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 06:48:22 AM »

I just saw Wreck it Ralph over the weekend.  It was fantastic!  The best movie I have seen in a while!

What are your favourite Disney films?
Let's see... I really like beauty and the beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, Wreck it Ralph, Brave, Rapunzel, and Robinhood

Who are your favourite Disney characters?
Belle, Pocahontas, Ralph, Merida and her mom, Jasmine, Rapunzel...

What was the last Disney-related purchase you made?
I bough the book the art of wreck it Ralph and a cute wreck it Ralph t shirt on eBay yesterday.

What are your best Disney memories?
Seeing beauty and the beast in movie theaters, playing with Disney dolls as a kid, taking my daughter to see brave and wreck it Ralph.

What movies or characters do you dislike?
I wasn't a fan of the later ninety early 2000 Disney movies, but now I don't mind them.  I think this was more of a "things were better when I was a kid" kind of thing.

ARE YOU EXCITED FOR NEW FANTASYLAND
Hadn't heard about it.

Thoughts the latest Disney news, games etc.
Not much, jut happy to see what they have to offer in the future.
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 06:50:25 AM »
And though I haven't seen Brave, it seems like they are doing the same thing.  They want to break the Princess mold, which is fine, but from what I've seen and read it just feels like that point is way too in your face.  And besides, didn't they already do this with Mulan (which is an excellent movie IMO)?

They keep trying to "break the princess mold" with each new princess movie.  It started with Ariel.  Even though she falls in love at first site and gives up her tail right away "for a man", she was still not a traditional princess at the time.  She was feisty and spoke her mind and disobeyed her father and made things happen.  Then you have Jasmine running away from being a princess.  Again she was outspoken and sassy and wanted to do things on her own and not just let things happen to her.  Then there is Belle who was an outsider bookworm atypical girl in the village.  She breaks the curse with the Beast so now you have both prince and princess working together.  Pocahontas, Esmeralda, and Mulan are all active "princesses" creating there story and saving the day.  Tiana doesn't even want love and instead strives to have her dream job.  Even Rapunzel (who should NOT be a very active princess because she has been locked away for all her life), takes matters into her own hands when opportunity presents itself.  Plus they made her a very athletic princess who fights back when she can.  And now Merida, the princess who is all about athletics, sport, fun, and has nothing to do with love at all. 

With every princess they try to make her more and more "anti-princess".  But really, there is nothing wrong with a princess acting like a princess.  Cinderella is still one of the most beloved princesses and she is as stereotypical as you can get.  I like the variety of princesses we have, but they don't need to break the mold because it has already been broken. 

Offline StarDapple

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 07:10:09 AM »
With every princess they try to make her more and more "anti-princess".  But really, there is nothing wrong with a princess acting like a princess.  Cinderella is still one of the most beloved princesses and she is as stereotypical as you can get.  I like the variety of princesses we have, but they don't need to break the mold because it has already been broken. 

I agree completely.  What's wrong with wanting to be like a princess?  I know when I was a kid, and I was very much the tomboy, I dressed up like a fairy tale princess and had a great time.  I doubt we'll ever see a Princess behaving like a Princess though, at least not for a long, long time.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 07:27:31 AM »
So true.  They are coming out with a version of the Snow Queen soon.  I wonder how they are going to portray the two main females:  The Queen and Gerda.  I guess they are changing the story up a lot and they are calling it "Frozen".  The girl who is supposed to be the main hero who saves her brother from the Snow Queen will not be called Gerda for example (she will be Anne) and I think she and the Queen will be sisters (Anna and Elsa) and there may not be a brother at all.  I think it is going to be a story of sisterhood.

I like the concept, but the story is going to be very different from the original much like all Disney adaptations are. 

Anna is most likely going to be blonde and her sister the Snow Queen has white hair so far.  I was hoping Anna would have brown hair.  Of all the princesses only Belle has brown hair.

Offline StarDapple

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 05:27:12 AM »
I've got a question for everyone!  Do any of you collect Disney merchandise?  I collect books, stuffed animals, plastic figures, keychains and other miscellaneous items.  I focus mainly on 101 Dalmatians and Bambi, but if it's Disney and I come across it at a garage sale or something, I will most likely buy it.

Offline unicornprincess

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 06:20:03 AM »
My favorite Disney movie is the Lion King. I do like other stuff such as the Tinker Bell movies Disney has been coming out with.

Thank You Dorothy Rose for my adoptable

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 07:28:50 AM »

I agree completely.  What's wrong with wanting to be like a princess?  I know when I was a kid, and I was very much the tomboy, I dressed up like a fairy tale princess and had a great time.  I doubt we'll ever see a Princess behaving like a Princess though, at least not for a long, long time.
Heh, when I first went to Disneyland Paris when I was about 5 years, my (now late) grandmother wanted me to have a princess dress. I refused entirely, and strayed over to the swords/boys section instead :silly:

Ah, the only princess I ever liked when I was younger was Jasmine. As an adult, I like Mulan, Jasmine and Ariel, but the others I'm still not interested in at all. I don't hate them, I just don't care for them though, if that makes sense. Or maybe I'm still a little disgruntled that Disney like to leave out other princesses in merchandise (Like Princess Eilonwy, for example) or non-human princesses (Nala? Faline? So underrated).

But on a lighter note, yes! I collect Lion King memorabilia primarily. I also pick up the odd Stitch item here and there, as well as any general Disney items that I happen to like (which is not as much as I used to sadly). I also love Oswald, but there's not much in the way of his merchandise still :(

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 07:21:51 PM »
Part of the reason Eilonwy is left out is because The Black Cauldron was locked away for YEARS because it was hailed as being too dark for public consumption.  After its initial debut it was hidden away because of this.  It wasn't until much later that people remembered it existed and Disney desided society was ready for it.  So she is not well known.

Also because she is younger she gets put in a different catagory with Alice Wendy and now Sophia.   
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:26:24 PM by Marigold »

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »
So true.  They are coming out with a version of the Snow Queen soon.  I wonder how they are going to portray the two main females:  The Queen and Gerda.  I guess they are changing the story up a lot and they are calling it "Frozen".  The girl who is supposed to be the main hero who saves her brother from the Snow Queen will not be called Gerda for example (she will be Anne) and I think she and the Queen will be sisters (Anna and Elsa) and there may not be a brother at all.  I think it is going to be a story of sisterhood.

Omg, they actually changed the name to Frozen  -_-  it's almost as if Disney is absolutely petrified that their movies will sound anything like princess movies. Ugh...

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 05:28:07 AM »
Yep Frozen.  One one hand I hate that they feel the need to change classic names.  On the other hand maybe there will be a degree of separation between the Disney version and the "original"* tales.

So possibly people out there think of Tangled as a different telling of Rapunzel rather than being the new canon story of Rapunzel.  Where as something like Beauty and the Beast made by Disney has replaced the original version of the story which was quite different in many ways.  Disney version is now the more canon telling of the story.  Same with Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Snow White etc. 

*I put original in quotes because many fairy tales do not have true original versions.  For example there are many versions of Rapunzel that existed before the Grimms Brothers put the now most well known version onto paper.  In fact the first Rapunzel was probably Persian and had long raven black hair.

Some do have clear origins:  For example The Little Mermaid story was created by Anderson and was not based on any previous story (aside from the mythology of mermaids existing).  But most people still think of Disney's story as being the canon version. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal