collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does Hasbro really listen?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Does Hasbro really listen?
« on: December 02, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
I didn't want to hijack another thread, but I was very curious about the mentioning I've seen about contacting Hasbro in regard to what collectors are hoping to see for future toy releases. I haven't been around the MLP community long enough to really know so I'm very curious, does Hasbri have a record of actually listening to its fans when it comes to what type of merchandise they are willing to put out? Did emails from collectors ever have any sway in the G3 or even G1 line?

It seems we all have our own ideas as to what we'd really like to see, many of which it seems are agreeing on the same things (Minty, Seaponies, more villains, boy pony brushables, etc.), and I wonder if telling the company our hopes is really going to make any difference for such a large brand and how they run their business? Sorry if this comes off as rude, I'm just honestly very curious!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Does Hasbro really listen?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:03:18 PM »
Well, they have said at fairs they are aware of this site and the trading post and do frequently view the boards, not necessarily posting on any of them.  So, they do know what we want and want we want to see and what we don't like.  I think that's how they come up with new lines as in like dress up, playsets, and other stuff.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 02:08:16 PM »
Honestly I feel they probably pay more attention to the retailers who are the ones who actually buy the ponies from them.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 02:09:43 PM »
Honestly I feel they probably pay more attention to the retailers who are the ones who actually buy the ponies from them.

I agree.  I haven't seen much in what we want when they come out with new stuff.  I mean, yeah we get more blind bags and stuff, especially in stores that never used to sell any.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 02:26:43 PM »
This is a tough question because I think they may be starting to listen but I don't think they listen to everyone, if that makes sense. Perhaps its best to say that it seems to be the loudest or the biggest groups of fans who seem to get the attention.

If I was answering this a couple of years ago - pre G4, pre Collectors Set, pre Zecora and pre the 2012 Fair/CC pony - then I would have said no, I dont think they do. We are a teeny tiny market to them. For example when Hasbro first conceived and launched the Bore 7, I can assure you they were told from every direction possible that this was a terrible idea and that it would not be popular. The concept was and continues to be lambasted on this website and on other pony forums not to mention that I am sure it was addressed at one of the Fairs. Not only did it make no difference but we have headed into a similar concept with G4 and the Core 6 [as I am now calling them :P]. Yes, they gave us sets like the retro ponies and art ponies so I dont think it would be fair to say their adult collecting fans were completely ignored but it certainly wasn't the same degree of attention as we are seeing now.

All that being said recently with the G4 sets mentioned above [not to mention the white Celestia rather than pink], there is a change in attitude and clearly a willingness to listen to fans. But whether they listen to what we want them to listen to is a whole other story. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 02:30:04 PM »
I think they listen, but not all the ideas that are mentioned are going to be profitable for them. (I don't think we are that big of a community ... ya know?)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:33:21 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 02:30:21 PM »
This is a tough question because I think they may be starting to listen but I don't think they listen to everyone, if that makes sense. Perhaps its best to say that it seems to be the loudest or the biggest groups of fans who seem to get the attention.

If I was answering this a couple of years ago - pre G4, pre Collectors Set, pre Zecora and pre the 2012 Fair/CC pony - then I would have said no, I dont think they do. We are a teeny tiny market to them. For example when Hasbro first conceived and launched the Bore 7, I can assure you they were told from every direction possible that this was a terrible idea and that it would not be popular. The concept was and continues to be lambasted on this website and on other pony forums not to mention that I am sure it was addressed at one of the Fairs. Not only did it make no difference but we have headed into a similar concept with G4 and the Core 6 [as I am now calling them :P]. Yes, they gave us sets like the retro ponies and art ponies so I dont think it would be fair to say their adult collecting fans were completely ignored but it certainly wasn't the same degree of attention as we are seeing now.

All that being said recently with the G4 sets mentioned above [not to mention the white Celestia rather than pink], there is a change in attitude and clearly a willingness to listen to fans. But whether they listen to what we want them to listen to is a whole other story. 

Since we buy their products they should listen to us, because then they will sell more money.  I mean we as MLP fans.  ;)

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 02:38:32 PM »
I think they listen, but not all the ideas that are mentioned are going to be profitable for them. (I don't think we are that big of a community ... ya know?)
agree, there are 3 sorts of buyers out there, us as adult/older collectors, little girls and present buyers such as parents, grandparents,
hasbro are not ruled by us, we are just a small portion of buyers out there. i think they are doing just fine, hey its early days yet and i think hasbro like to surprise us, look at it this way g4 have only been out there for 2years, we have years to come of all-sorts, just be patent :)

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »
I certainly agree that they "should" listen to us, no quibble on that front at all! :) However as banditpony says I do think in the grander scheme of things we are not a massive contributor to their bottom profit line and therefore are glossed over a little [or maybe a lot?].

Many other toy lines cater to their older fans through collector lines however the majority of their time and effort and money still goes into the actual toys which will be picked up by little boys and girls in stores. That's their target market and to be honest I actually don't have too much of a problem with that. MLP wouldnt be MLP to me unless they were all about little pastel ponies with brushable hair. But I agree like with many things I would like my thoughts [and those of the wonderful collecting community I am a part of] to be listened to. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 02:55:09 PM »
I think they mostly listen to the sales. Hey, toy companies are in for business.  We see so many blind bags because people buy too many blindbags. It seems brushables are second.

Kinda sucks with their toy policy though that they can't give away any hints or anything.
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
I certainly agree that they "should" listen to us, no quibble on that front at all! :) However as banditpony says I do think in the grander scheme of things we are not a massive contributor to their bottom profit line and therefore are glossed over a little [or maybe a lot?].

Many other toy lines cater to their older fans through collector lines however the majority of their time and effort and money still goes into the actual toys which will be picked up by little boys and girls in stores. That's their target market and to be honest I actually don't have too much of a problem with that. MLP wouldnt be MLP to me unless they were all about little pastel ponies with brushable hair. But I agree like with many things I would like my thoughts [and those of the wonderful collecting community I am a part of] to be listened to. :)

except  for only the blind bags are being produced and more blind bag sized  figurs. that  aren't brushable. and you cnat really do anything witht hem..  and the only bushables there ARE  are repeated  mane 6!

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »
They listen to the buyers at department stores.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline MoonShadow

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Youtube!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
I think Hasbro does listen, but only if the masses throw money at them. 

Honestly, I think the main issue is Hasbro screwed itself at the start of G4 and hasn't figured out how to correct the problem. The powers that be elected to view the toyline and FIM (the 30 minute commercial for the toyline) as separate entities.  There was little to no effort put into making sure the show and toys were in sync.  The Hasbro Rep at the fair was like, "Pinkie has an pet alligator? Sorry the toy designers don't watch the show."  Awesome marketing! Go guys!

The brushables really do not look all that much like their show counter-parts who are sleek and animated.  The basic toy molds are super static and do not leave much room for anything more dynamic than a lifted leg.  Add some inaccurate colored-pinkified ponies, quality issues, constant repeats, and releases that take place 6 months after the commercial airs (Royal Wedding anyone?), and we have a problem.  Until Hasbro addresses this issue, I think brushables will remain on the backburner as they are not going to appeal to fans of the "commercial."

Blind bags/molded sets, on the other hand, are becoming more and more show accurate.  (compare blind bag Zecora to brushable Zecora). They also seem to be flying off the shelves. 

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 05:01:04 PM »
I think they listen sometimes, but only when they believe it will be profitable and perhaps not exactly in the way we may have hoped.

We've been asking for boys for years.  Literally, years.  And, guess what?  G4 gave us boys!  Is it exactly what collectors wanted?  Probably not.  A lot of blind bag boys and one boy brushable with weird hair that's only available as a Target exclusive Styling Pony or with an expensive playset (sorry Shining Armor, I still love you. ). But, still, we got boys.  :)

We asked for villains, we got Nightmare Moon (in an expensive TRU-excuive gift pack.). We asked for white Celestia and she's coming.  We ask for more brushable ponies and - ok, they're not really listening to that one. 

My point is, I think Hasbro *is* paying attention to an extent but maybe not as much as we'd want them to.  Still, since we have been ignored for years (no boys at all in the g3 line,) I think it is a step in the right direction. :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 09:44:56 AM »
To individual people's ideas? No, because they don't want that individual to turn around and sue them for the profits they make off of that person's idea.

Ideas of the masses?  Yessiree, they are definitely paying attention now more than ever. I think a good illustration for this is the blind bags. For example, a lot of show fans love the designs of background ponies. Blind bag sets have been sneaking in more and more background ponies that are known and loved by a lot of people.

Nowadays they are purposely looking at favourite characters like Lyra and Trixie, and including them in sets. I think that is kind of neat! I hope they continue to make a variety of characters that everyone can like.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal