collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else not buy reissues?  (Read 801 times)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone else not buy reissues?
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:37:57 PM »
I see a lot of collectors here that seem to buy the same doll over and over when she is released in the same set.

I am wondering if anyone else is like me and doesn't do this? I feel like the black sheep here. :P

I will admit there are several different versions of Clawdeen I would like.....I have seen her with purple, pink, and lime green hair. I think that's kind of cool. And I did get the black and white Frankie and I also have her with her regular colors.

But I tend to try to avoid buying reissues. These dolls can get pretty expensive and I always get more excited for the new characters.

Anyone else like this?
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline 4Lindy

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else not buy reissues?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
We are trying, somewhat unsuccessfully to have this rule....only buy new characters!!!!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Huge Thanks to Alrak, SourdoughStomper and Mari for my Super Sweetie Siggy\'s!

TheLoveCat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
I try to do this - I've failed with Cleo, I have three of her, as well as Frankie, who I also have three of. The others I stick to signature only (wait I also have a couple extra Clawdeens... oh dear, I'm afraid I'm not good at this at all!)

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »
MH reissues are hard to resist because of their makeup and hair variations, I think!

Dorriebelle

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 09:12:20 PM »
I said I wasn't gonna do that. I'd already gone doll overboard before - at one point, I had 212 Barbie-size dolls, which didn't include the boxed ones - and knew the signs. No, this time, I was gonna be sensible and have just one doll of each character. And that was final.

How was I to know there'd be so many Ghoulias released in just one year ? And that each one would be different and delightful in her own way ? And, as I bid and lost, over and over, that it was usually cheaper to just buy the doll retail than spend time and effort hunting for her outfit and shoes without the doll on eBay ? It was all Gloom Beach's fault. Most of the dolls had different *hands* from their signature releases ! I didn't stand a chance. (shakes ineffectual fist at Mattel)

I have managed to keep it down somewhat - but there's still 42 dolls and three knockoffs, most wearing my sewing creations, around me.  I doubt I'll buy more Ghoulias and Frankies (seven and five of 'em here at Chez Insanity, respectively), but I'm eager for new characters, new CAMs, and more guys - especially Slo-Moe, I want him so ridiculously much !

(grin) I have, however, successfully resisted buying some reissues - say, a TRU / Target Cupid when I've had the Mal-Wart exclusive Cupid for a while...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:17:25 PM by Dorriebelle »

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 09:21:54 PM »
I've had a good run so far a little more than a year, I only stuck to getting one of each character, mostly going for their Signature release, but when you go searching and you see good dolls on clearance...How can you pass that up?! XD

*Snips a quote from herself from MH Discussion thread*
*Goes down her checklist*

I have about 40 MH Dolls: 39 MIB, 1 Loose. :blush:

Of the 40: 7 of them are duplicates, while the 33 rest are "Signature" releases, and 13 of those 33 release are CAMs Starter and Add-on Sets. XD

The complete breakdown of my collection. :P
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
I told myself I was limiting my collection to one of each character. But that didn't last long since my third doll was DDG Spectra, followed immediately by signature Spectra. Now I want Picture Day Spectra, so they're going to be triplets. Then today I got a second Lagoona. I just couldn't decide between SS and Classroom Lagoona, so I ended up with both of them. So now I guess they're twins.

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
i'll only buy re-issues of abbey and venus. (yeah i say that now) my goal is to have one of every abbey and abbey accessory out there.

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »
I tried the one of each character thing. But then Roller Maze Frankie came out...

She broke my spirit with that adorable hair cut!!!!

Now, for multiples I have 2 Draculaura's, 2 Operetta's, 4 Frankie's, 3 Lagoona's.

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Dorriebelle

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 11:11:03 PM »
I tried the one of each character thing. But then Roller Maze Frankie came out...

She broke my spirit with that adorable hair cut!!!!

You, too ?  I had zero intent to buy RM Frankie. I had four Frankies already, bought her dress and skates online, really cheap, weeks prior. I did. not. want. that. doll.

But, while I was hitting Target for markdowns, she ambushed me ! It was like that scene with the snake in The Jungle Book. I still have no clear memory of actually buying her, but I had a receipt, and we were headed home, so it was all right with me.

I think she likes it here - and doesn't mind being Frankie #5.

Offline lolaandbean

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 07:05:46 AM »
I've decided that if a new release comes out that I have to have the other one has to go. I just don't have the room for a bunch of releases.

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 07:16:47 AM »
I won't buy a reissue.....what's the point, it's the same doll?!!!!

I'm the same with ponies......I only need one of each ( armies are different :P )
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 07:30:32 AM »
I never fooled myself.  I knew right from the start that I was gonna need every doll.  When the second set popped up (DotD, Clawdeen w/lime green hair, and Cleo's short bob) I knew no two dolls would be too alike for me.

What I hadn't expected to do was buy fashions or playsets.  But Mattel had AMAZING box art, and put their fashions on paper dolls.  How could I resist?  If I was buying fashions for box art, why not playsets.  Nope!  No playsets. :nope:  That was where I had to draw the line!

But then Mattel released exclusive dolls with playsets.  So I HAD to buy some of them.  And if I had Clawdeen's bed, and Lagoona's bed, why not get Frankie's and Lala's too?  I wanted the box art anyway.....

Mattel REALLY knows what they are doing!  I don't even resist anymore.  Release Ghoulia's scooter with adorable paper dolls of her and Slow Moe.  Then release a TRU exclusive doll but WITHOUT said adorable paper dolls.  Guess I'll have to buy both :rolleyes:

There is something so very wrong with me :lol:

I'm starting to get into Novi Stars and Bratzillas (lord help me now!) but I've promised myself ONLY one of each of those!  I can do it, right?  Right?  I'm so scared....
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 08:01:36 AM »
I'm doing really well in not buying doubles. I only caved on a second Abbey. I had SS and then bought I<3 Fashion on Black Friday. My second Abbey has a different name (Iris) and she seems like a different doll to me with those drastically different colored lips. All my future planned doll purchases aren't duplicates either.

I like having just one of each doll and then buying the new outfits separate as opposed to buying a new doll. Although I'm starting to think it would be cheaper to buy the whole doll, take the outfit, and then sell the nude doll. But it is easier to just buy the outfit from someone so I don't know if I will start buying duplicates for their outfits. Then I run the risk of liking them too much and then they won't leave!
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 10:33:56 AM »
I can't do this. I respect those of you that do, but for example: I have a Ghoulia army! My goal is to have every Ghoulia. I'm just missing a complete Fearleading and now Scaris. Each doll is so different, and so I don't know who I would pick!

Similarly with Clawdeen. I don't have many of her, but there are so many differences within her releases. Red hair, purple hair, brown hair. How do you choose?? Much love to you guys for your "One-doll-per-character-Rule" but I just can't do it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal