collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lol, Annoying Pony! The new name for G4 Bubble/Ditzy.  (Read 9431 times)

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
Re: Lol, Annoying Pony! The new name for G4 Bubble/Ditzy.
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, 02:25:50 AM »
I would love it if this filter would stay.
No matter how you twist or turn it, "that name" is a mean spirited one. Even by the kindest of definition it still means something like "making stupid mistakes", "wierd face" or "screw up".
I find it funny that the people who claim to love her "o so much" would give her a name like that. Not to mention, memes make for lame names.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 02:28:59 AM »
Besides the slur thing, 'Ditzy Doo' is a super cute name. So is 'Bubblecup'.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 02:53:38 AM »
I just...don't get the drama over not using it, to be honest. It's a name. Easy to change. Canon or not, some people find it very offensive and insulting. How shallow and callous do you have to be to keep using it if that's the case?
MLP is for *kids*. What kind of example is being set by a. using a word, which is considered by many people to be an offensive slur, as a name, and b. by continuing to use that word just because you like it even though it is incredibly upsetting and hurtful to some people?

The D word doesn't *personally* offend or hurt me. But I know a lot of people, children included, who have been teased and bullied with it, who find it upsetting, offensive, hurtful and cruel. So you know what? I don't use it anymore. And I will defend their right to not have it used around them.

It's...so easy to make someone else's life a little bit better by not using it. I think it's incredibly selfish to keep hurting people by using it, when it's so easy to stop.

I just want to point out that some of us have never witnessed anyone actually being bullied or offended by this name. I can honestly say that I have never seen the word "derp" used in a context other than describing a silly facial expression, or messing up.

People are always offended by things. In the end, I don't think the people using the name are being "shallow and callous" by still using her name, I think that it being "insulting" doesn't really hit home with most people since they do not know anyone who is being bullied, and just think that the people being offended are the regular bunch of people who just seem to be offended by everything that is not particularly offensive.

So I think what I am trying to say here is that maybe if more people had experienced this bullying personally, or knew people being bullied, they would care more, like you do, and would not just attribute it to "oh yeah, everyone gets offended by something".

olbas006

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 03:04:04 AM »
cute)

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, 03:16:53 AM »
I wasn't going to get involved in this but I have to say something.
That was the name the fandom chose for her when she was first noticed.  There are few who have trouble with that name (at least in the brony community). I've seen some good commentaries about it.

And there's another point I've seen people make: Naming her Ditzy makes her kind of a "blonde stereotype" (this was especially the case in The Last Roundup after they changed her voice). And some people are offended by that term too.
In fact here's all of the ways it can be used (including the same thing as Derp): [link removed as per site rules ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:04:18 AM by hathorcat »

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, 03:38:49 AM »
aaaand here we go again...
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, 03:40:31 AM »
aaaand here we go again...

this is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 03:50:20 AM »
Why not just filter it to "grey and blonde pegasus"? It's not as biased, and probably less likely to confuse people when used for buying/selling threads.

Offline tealslippers

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://users.eastlink.ca/~ponies
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 04:26:24 AM »
It's *just* a pony.  I think we all need to breathe.

popyduggan

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 05:14:02 AM »
B..b..but Annoying Pony is bigger than The Beatles! Remember that time it said something that one time?

I think I'll get what it said tattooed on my belly as a tribute to it's importance.

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 05:35:40 AM »
Why not just filter it to "grey and blonde pegasus"? It's not as biased, and probably less likely to confuse people when used for buying/selling threads.
I agree with this. If it was something more generic, it probably wouldn't bother me as much. I don't believe in censoring "controversial" things, because I think the censor often creates more controversy.
I, personally, have never heard the d term used in a manner other than to accompany a silly face or a silly mistake. That's not to say the word hasn't been used as a deragatory term, of course. But if we're going by that, what's to say that any word can't have a negative connotation? I'd never thought the terms "short," "skinny," or "anorexic" could be used as slurs until they were thrown at me. Many times. Even though I don't have an eating disorder. My height and weight are completely out of control, much like bubble butt's off-kilter eyeballs and clumsy ways. I see skinny tossed around a lot these days, usually to "thin-shame" people. Not saying that happens here, bu it does happen. If that word isn't filtered, why should the clumsy grey pegasus' be?
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline sparkleset80

• Trade Count: (+178)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 05:56:29 AM »
Not to mention.... have you met our mods? XD If you haven't been around long you may not have noticed this about them, but our mods are full of silliness and pranks. They often get their usernames changed to stilly things, and put weird filters on words (remember the farts?). They Grey Pegasus has gone through several name filters at various times. Try not to take it too seriously :)

Ditto this!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2012, 05:57:06 AM »

AMEN!!!!!!!

And also NoDivision, I don't know what you mean, we are completely staid and normal :angel:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2012, 06:10:06 AM »
Lol I saw a mod come in and everyone cleared out :)
I don't care what the filter says as like others have said, she's just a pony and over time her fame will die :)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2012, 06:26:42 AM »
Before we filtered her the first time, fights broke out. Arguments. People who are offended explaining why they are offended, and non-offended people explaining why the offended people are dumb/lame/goofy/uppity for being offended. Or perhaps they aren't offended, but understand why some take offense. Or maybe they're just bored out of their brains about the topic. It's a rich tapestry.

MANY a thread about this pony is locked. I lost count, but a couple dozen no doubt. It seems there can be no calm, rational discussion about this pony.

Eventually, we relaxed and unfiltered the name. Guess what? Within a short time (like a week or two), fights broke out. Members who are tired of the pony getting into arguments with people who think she's the bees knees and get touchy and whiny when anything negative is mentioned.

This latter type of member is what cause the mods/admin to again throw up their hands in disgust and annoyance and they filtered the name as a way to vent steam and maybe to get people to stop getting über worked up about the character so much.

We initially started out being indifferent to the character, but now very few of us can stand all the headaches she causes. :gah:

The filter may change from "annoying pony" to something more generic in the future.  The point is - the mods are sick and annoyed by the overblown, unending drama surrounding the pony. They have more important things to do at this forum than the constant babysitting of discussions like this.

Maybe when people calm down again, that's when the filter will change.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal