collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Casting custom shoes?  (Read 329 times)

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
Casting custom shoes?
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »
Could anyone enlighten me on making molds and casting shoes (and jewelry) from resin? Is there some sort of class I could possibly take that would give me information about using products and such? I know you can cast jewelry beads from resin but I'm not sure if taking a class on that would do me any good with making MH shoes and jewelry..
Anyone want to help someone who's rather clueless about all this??  :biggrin:
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
    • View Profile
Re: Casting custom shoes?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:34:39 AM »
It would probably be easier to start with something simpler, like a bracelet, that wouldn't be quite as complicated.  I've used silicone putty to make some jewelry molds (it doesn't work as well with making shoe molds though).  Make sure the resin is warm when you pour it; I let the bottles sit in some hot water first.  This will help prevent bubbles.  You'll need to do the casting somewhere that's well-ventilated because of the fumes from the resin; I do my casting outside. 

kittisiubhan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:56:20 PM »
Attempting a 3D casting like a shoe can be tricky - definitely familiarize yourself with resin before tackling a big project like that, but don't be discouraged! It can be really fun once you get the hang of it.

Just like any project it's better to ease into it so you can prepare and know what kind of obstacles you might encounter beforehand - or decide it's just not for you *BEFORE* diving in head first and spending a ton of money on supplies.

I sell plastic resin molds in oddball designs in my Etsy shop:

Skullberry.Etsy.com

I've also put together a simple tutorial with some tips here:

www.Skullberry.com

Best of luck in your crafting adventures, keep us all posted!

Constance

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 03:25:51 PM »
I think these are what you are looking for. They were of inestimable value to me:
http://www.topologieshop.com/blog/?p=48
and
http://www.topologieshop.com/blog/?p=19

Anything and everything takes practice, but anyone could do this, so go for it! The hardest part is getting started.

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 05:01:13 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. What are the names of specific products I need for casting? And what do I use to make the shoes and jewelry different colors?
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

kittisiubhan

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:20:36 PM »
Basic Shopping List:
1. Resin (Castin Craft)
2. Mold
3. Mold Release (Castin Craft)
4. Resin Dye (Castin Craft)
5. Popsicle Sticks
6. 1oz Measuring Cups with measurement lines (Disposable, you can't really reuse these)
7. Gloves
8. Mod Podge (To seal pictures, images, or items)
9. Stuff to embed (Stickers, glitter, pictures, trinkets, etc.)
10. A large bowl to cover your mold while it cures so no dust or hair gets in it.
11. Something to cover your work surface (DO NOT USE NEWSPAPER OR PAPER TOWELS!) Use something plastic so the resin won't leak through it and ruin your work surface. I ♥ those plastic cutting mats you get at the dollar store, they come 2 in a pack and are reusable but disposable if needed.
12. Something to hold your mold level if it's an odd shape that doesn't sit flat.
13. Resin Spray or thick gloss (totally optional) if your piece doesn't come out glossy or has pits you can give it a quick spray or brush on a coat to finish it off.

Castin Craft is the leader in "hobby" resin casting. You can find them in Hobby Lobby or Michaels, all the resin supplies are in once place and usually it's only a small part of a shelf, you may have to hunt for it or ask someone where it's located.

A 1:1 ratio resin is SOO much easier than trying to configure how many drops of a catalyst you'll need as it's going to change every...single...time. Your resin may not cure completely depending on size, thickness, dyes used, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure... *Ugh.*

You can use just about anything to dye your resin, but to get started Castin Craft offers a specific line of resin dyes in both opaque and transparent.

Once you get better you can search online for industrial resins - they're way cheaper per ounce, have better quality, are easier to work with, and don't have the potential to yellow; but you have to buy gallons at a time and shipping can get crazy since it's really heavy and considered a hazardous material, so yea - make sure it's a hobby you're REALLY interested in!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal