collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any blind bag customizing FAQs?  (Read 290 times)

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
Any blind bag customizing FAQs?
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »
My time is already consumed by my crocheting so as much as I feel the itch to try customzing ponies I know i don't have the time or money for it. However I thought maybe the little blind bag ponies wouldn't be too time consuming and would be a fun thing to do with my sister who will be home for christmas break. I wanted to do this project because my sister is an excellent painter and i thought between the two of us we could something awesome.
So since i'm new to all this I need some information.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Any blind bag customizing FAQs?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »
What information do you need and what gen?

As to G4s

It think most people use an exacto knife or other small very sharp blade to cut out the hair for custom sculpting mods.  I personally use a small jewelry size wire cutters.  Then I sand it down and sculpt.  It's easier if the pony has been boiled or otherwise heated a bit to make the plastic softer. 

Paint wise normal acrylics (I usually water them down.  Lots of thin coats, let dry completely before adding new coat) and sealant like for any other custom (I recommend a brush on rather than a spray application so you have more control and you can get a thin even coating).  100% Acetone to remove symbols and eyes. 

They don't take dye well, similar to the larger G4s. Well they take it very unevenly and often have a void around the seams no matter how many times you clean them. 

Few of mine...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:29:29 PM by Sarahlacewing »
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:14:20 PM »
I don't really bother with paint removal on mine because the original paint is not thick enough to show through new layer of paint. other then that the above sounds good to me :) Also if you decide to do sculpting get a toothpick for working the the tight little areas- you'll find you fingers way to big for this! you can also use the toothpick or a needle to paint tinny details.

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 07:34:39 PM »
Thanks guys, yeah i was curious as to if the original should be removed and what sort of paint should be used. I've read a little about customizing the regular ponies but wanted to know if something special needed to be done for blind bags.

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »
I've only customized the clear sparkly ones, which look really nice customized but they are kind of a pain. If you're doing anything transparent, before to ALWAYS have a base of at least two coats of white before you add color on top of that. Also, the sparkles are glued on very strongly and so I just used the 100% acetone to rub down the sparkles until they were no longer bumpy to the touch, then I just painted over them. If you wanted the whole thing to be sparkle-free you could just probably dip the whole pony (with proper safety gloves and a ventilated area!) and then try and scratch/rub all the glue off to have a fresh pony. Also be sure to wash them gently in water after you're done with the acetone, just to make sure there isn't any residue.

The crystal ones look really nice though when customized, I'll definitely be customizing more of them as I get duplicates! I can't wait to see what you two do as well :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal