collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A Little Help? Hair Styling Question  (Read 422 times)

BabyRainbou

• Trade Count: (0)
A Little Help? Hair Styling Question
« on: November 18, 2012, 09:09:48 PM »
Can anyone give me some advice on how to style Operetta's hair? I had to wash it out when I got her, but now I just can't get her victory rolls to stay... victorious. I don't trust myself to try boil perming her.

Anything else I could try?

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
Re: A Little Help? Hair Styling Question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:40:49 AM »
I was apprehensive when I first did it on a toy, but boil perming is easy.  Roll her curls up on straws, dunk her head in hot water, and dunk it in cool water.  Then you can let her hair dry over night and she'll be lovely again.

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:15:08 AM »
Her hair is saran, which is very durable but needs heat in order to properly set. Boil perming is really the safest method that will work on it and have the least risk of the fibers melting. As coinoperatedgirl said, it's very easy and a lot less scary than it sounds. :) I was really hesitant at first before trying it myself, but I've boil-permed handfuls of dolls in the past three years, some repeatedly to get the results I'm looking for, and I've yet to harm any of them in the process. Make sure they're nude when trying this however, the colors in some of their outfits may bleed if they get wet.

I section off the hair and use drinking straws (milkshake straws work best for larger barreled curls) fastened with bobby pins for curlers. Just set a pot on the stove and let it come to a boil. Pour the water in a ceramic bowl and dunk the doll's head for about 30 seconds, then remove and place in ice water for a few minutes to set. You may want to avoid dunking the face in the hot water, as I've heard of some problems arising with the paint from doing so, though I've dunked some entirely with no issue. If it happens, just don't touch the paint with your fingers until the plastic cools. I usually let the doll sit for 48 hours, or until completely dry, before removing the curlers. If the fibers are still wet then the curls will fall down.

The only dolls I would be mindful of are those that have flocking (Venus and Clawd) because it will come off in water, or any dolls with kanekalon hair (Jackson, Venus, Ghoulia, Robecca, Spectra, and the pink in Draculaura's hair). Kanekalon can still be boil-permed, it's just a little more sensitive to heat than saran, and may frizz.

You can also try alcohol-free, water based hair gels (essentially what Mattel uses), or hairspray intended for wigs, to set Operetta's victory rolls, but then you'd just end up with stiff hair again.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:24:56 AM by Mandy85 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LiquidCyanide

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »
Sorry to hijack but why alcohol free? Is there a risk using stuff that isn't? I ask because i originally tried to set my Operetta's hair with normal hairspray but it didn't work so i brushed it out, just wondering if i should wash it again before permanently setting her rolls with watered down pva glue.

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »
Sorry to hijack but why alcohol free? Is there a risk using stuff that isn't? I ask because i originally tried to set my Operetta's hair with normal hairspray but it didn't work so i brushed it out, just wondering if i should wash it again before permanently setting her rolls with watered down pva glue.

I've read in the past from companies that restore high-end dolls and human-grade wigs that, as a general rule, alcohol-based products run the risk of drying out synthetic hair and can make it brittle if it's left on for too long of a time, since many of them are intended to be used on human hair and be washed out eventually. I don't think in the short-term that you'd have much to worry about, but it's something I've always tried to be more safe than sorry with.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LiquidCyanide

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »
Ok thanks, i think i'll give it a quick wash just to be safe then :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal