collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why do you collect?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Why do you collect?
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:51:22 PM »
I am in a depressed mood and really need some cheering up.  I just got some wave 3 Blind Bags and the Collector's set which makes me really happy, but lately I have looked at my collection and wonder why do I collect?  They make me happy and I don't want to part with any of them, but what good do they do me when they sit in a box and take up space?  Or all the money I spend on them which can go towards something else.  I need a new car and a new mattress, but I feel I never have enough money even while working two jobs.  What do you guys do to feel better when you get into a funk like this?   :cry:

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you collect?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »
watch movies that make me laugh and play board games with my siblings or friends (that always makes me laugh). Lately I go on dolldivine.com and make fun characters. Sometimes I try to make really horrible ones and send the links to my friends to make them laugh.

Also, antidepressants ;) Happiness through chemistry XD

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
I could also put all this money toward other things. But at the same time what would I have to look at and enjoy. We need to have some happy things in life. :)

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:10:50 PM »
This is probably not the best response to cheer you up. But, in reality, my husband is an economic researcher. And in light of how the economy really works, we do not for see the "crisis" coming around anytime soon, especially nt with this QE indefinatly. In truth, I am a believer in emergency preparedness, and have been stocking emergency food supplies, first aid, hygeine etc. Just in case the shtf. If it doesn't, great! I then have a nice pantry, if it does, then I have some for in case we need it.

Trutyhfully, I started collecting, because i am tired of thinking about sad things. The ponies make me happy, for nostalgia reasons and because i think they are beautiful and my kids love them. Granted I am still stocking, but i dove into ponies too. Probably more than I should.

I think the same way as you do. Why am I buying these when the money can go to something else...well I think sometimes we need to make ourselves smile. Life is not easy, sometimes we need something just to make us smile  :)...and that makes it worth it.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 08:17:57 PM »
I actually ask myself that a lot.  "why?"  haven't found a great single answer yet...

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »
I've always collected things. Before ponies, it was Hot Wheels. As a kid I collected rocks. As long as I have enough money saved for my pets - to take them to the vet, buy their food, toys, emergencies, etc - I don't feel bad often about spending money on ponies. The way I see it, if I didn't collect ponies it would be something else.

I collect because I'm a collector. Maybe not the best reason but it works for me :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
I really like shiny objects.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Cwk123

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »
Well, I collect because I love it! This is my thought...some people spend money on clothes, shoes, hair, nails, tanning, going out, etc. I don't do any of those things...I spend my money on collecting. If you did all those things regularly, the money would probably be the same you spend on collecting.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »
They make me happy! =) They're pretty and cute and fun. I don't know. Sometimes I do feel like they're taking up space, and that they cost me too much money (a problem that can be solved with some willpower) but they brighten up my life. We all need something that can do that for us.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »
Well, I collect because I love it! This is my thought...some people spend money on clothes, shoes, hair, nails, tanning, going out, etc. I don't do any of those things...I spend my money on collecting. If you did all those things regularly, the money would probably be the same you spend on collecting.

I am the same way. I do not spend on any of that stuff either!

Offline Spike

• Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 08:45:35 PM »
They make me very happy! I love looking at them. So much variety. My mum hates it though. She says it is childish. But I don't care. I still enjoy it. It's also good to collect things.

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 08:56:02 PM »
They make me very happy! I love looking at them. So much variety. My mum hates it though. She says it is childish. But I don't care. I still enjoy it. It's also good to collect things.

My mother is the same way. Though she can be supportive some times by not pestering me about my collections. She keeps telling me I need to spend my money on other things. She always talks to me about how they are a waste of money and that all they do is collect dust. Yesterday she acted as if I was going to choose ponies/dolls over getting food/diapers/etc. for my own child if I ever have one. I know when to sacrifice. If I was in a financial crunch and it meant I had to give up buying ponies for a month, I will definitely give that up so my child can have what they need. It's just so frustrating. I'm only 22 for pete's sake. :cry: Collecting makes me happy. I get it from my dad. He let us keep whatever we wanted. Especially if it was nostalgic. He is very nostalgic. I wish he made sure I kept my childhood ponies though. >_< I love my ponies. They make me happy. I loved my childhood and I loved what made my childhood happy and amazing and I want to keep that happiness.
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 09:30:53 PM »
As my students keep saying when I ask them "why":

NO WHY

The only reason is that I loved them when I was little, they brought so much joy back then, and I don't know any other material thing that I could buy with my money that would bring me as much joy as MLP. Clothes, cosmetics, bags, ... you use them, and eventually you toss it. Books, most of them you only read once. In a way, ponies are forever.

The only thing that would make me happier would be a horse and a cage full of rats.

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 09:48:21 PM »
I collect because I always have something to look forward to.  It breaks up the monotony of everyday life.  It keeps me going.  I love sitting at work and thinking, I wonder if that package from Germany will be on my doorstep when I get home. 

Offline Spike

• Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 09:56:20 PM »

My mother is the same way. Though she can be supportive some times by not pestering me about my collections. She keeps telling me I need to spend my money on other things. She always talks to me about how they are a waste of money and that all they do is collect dust. Yesterday she acted as if I was going to choose ponies/dolls over getting food/diapers/etc. for my own child if I ever have one. I know when to sacrifice. If I was in a financial crunch and it meant I had to give up buying ponies for a month, I will definitely give that up so my child can have what they need. It's just so frustrating. I'm only 22 for pete's sake. :cry: Collecting makes me happy. I get it from my dad. He let us keep whatever we wanted. Especially if it was nostalgic. He is very nostalgic. I wish he made sure I kept my childhood ponies though. >_< I love my ponies. They make me happy. I loved my childhood and I loved what made my childhood happy and amazing and I want to keep that happiness.

I feel the exact same way.. I always make sure I have enough money for rent, food and for my puppy and in the end of the day I'm really happy about them and do like seeing them there. I'm really nostalgic also. I have kept most of my childhood toys (the ones that mum hasn't given away without my permission that is..). She is just so boring and nasty when it comes to talking about my ponies. She gave out my childhood My Little Ponies.. Goodness knows where they are now. All those G1's and G2's I had gone. Now I have the thrill to get them all again I think :P

Post Merge: November 18, 2012, 09:57:12 PM

I collect because I always have something to look forward to.  It breaks up the monotony of everyday life.  It keeps me going.  I love sitting at work and thinking, I wonder if that package from Germany will be on my doorstep when I get home. 

Hehe I could say it gets me through life too!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal