collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Soooo..is there not a terrible way to do this?  (Read 739 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Soooo..is there not a terrible way to do this?
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:14:59 AM »
Okay, so I never used to be a completist before. But lately I've been collecting the box-art on all my ponies, and it's really starting to annoy me that I missed collecting the art on a couple of my first ponies as I hadn't started collecting them yet. Even though ponies aren't very expensive, I really don't want to just buy doubles when I don't need them, especially since they're really common ponies and won't sell.

So...I was thinking of buying the ponies as a Christmas gift for my niece, and since she doesn't care about the box-art just keeping it for myself. Only problem is, I would have to open the ponies before giving them to her as I don't know if I'll be seeing her in person this year. So, I would just be sending her already opened ponies! I feel like that's just a terrible thing to do, or...is it? I mean, I guess she's only 5 and wouldn't care that much, but do ya'll think maybe there's some cute way to wrap them or present them so it doesn't seem so totally obvious that I opened them beforehand?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Soooo..is there not a terrible way to do this?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »
Possibly buy her a playset or something and put the ponies inside?  That'd be less expensive to ship than ponies + a playset in their individual boxes. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 12:23:24 AM »
No that isn't terrible! Maybe you could think of something cheesy like Putting them in a pretty box and tell her they're alive or something so be gentle with them. ^_^ She'll be so happy when she opens the box!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 01:13:02 AM »
At 5, I think she would just be happy to have the ponies. I would say wrap each pony individually, then put them in a gift box and wrap that, then put the box in another box to ship it. That way she gets the rush of excitement from unwrapping a bunch of stuff.

If you think he mom may comment on it at all, just tell her it was cheaper to ship them like that than to leave them all in their packages. ;)

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 01:20:49 AM »
I agree, just wrap them individually, and if its questioned, just say it was cheaper to send them out of their packages. I don't think a 5 year old would worry about it. I have a few children around me that I buy random bits and pieces for second hand, and due to their age they don't care. I have a few "adopted" nieces and nephews, cause I don't have my own, I borrow friends children as my own lol. My mates don't care, they are just appreciative that I actually went to the effort of giving their children anything.

I would just leave any hair strips and such in, and if they don't come with them, possibly get some of those small hair elastics to tie the hair back & keep it neat in transit.

I'm sure she will be thrilled with ponies for Christmas :D

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:42:36 AM »
Mmm, not something I've done myself, but one way you can make it look intentional - as in, not simply because you want the packaging :P - is to wrap them up super-fancy and nice! I'd suggest something along the lines of candy-like wrappers? Maybe wrap each pony in colorful cellophane, tie it at each end with a ribbon (imagine a Tootsie Roll, or a Christmas cracker), and print up a cute little name-label that looks like a candy. Like, Pinkie Pie Surprise, Rarity Lemon Drops, something like that? If a pony looks like candy, you could say it just looked too clunky wrapped up in its box like that - which it would!

Alternatively, what about a flowerpot? Find a cheap plastic flowerpot, tuck in something loose for 'soil' (maybe tissue paper!) inside, tie flowers to the ponies' heads, and have them peeking out of the top of the pot! Add in a cute little garden stake with a tag on it - "A Special Pony Flower Garden For A Special Girl" - and you're done! You could even hide a baggie of gummy worms under the "soil," as an extra surprise! :lmao:

Wow, I am coming up with waaay too many ideas, LOL! But if none of those appeal to you - does she like flowers? I received a bouquet of silk flowers with a few ponies tied into it for graduation, and it looked really cool! Or does she like necklaces? What about getting a necklace (cheap, flashy Mardi Gras beads work well! or a fake flower lei!) and tie the ponies to it like charms!

Good luck!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 03:09:46 AM »
Interesting way around doubles! I would think as others have said as long as you re wrap the ponies up in a fancy and gift like manner she will never know and probably be delighted with the gift especially if you make a big gift basket of fun :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 07:17:13 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but my son is usually happier when he receives toys already out of the packaging.  There are so many rubber bands and twist ties and restricting sleeves of hard plastic *cough-cough-ponypackaging-cough* that it's downright frustrating to smaller folks to try to get stuff out of the box these days.  Plus, kids are often a bit impatient to play with their newest toys anyway, so bonus! :lol:  It'd probably be construed as more of a kindness to the child than anything else.

Snapdragon, I love your creative packaging ideas!  I may borrow those for future gift-giving occasions. ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 07:46:30 AM »
I usually use things as "stocking stuffers" out of package. I wrap them by arranging them in a festive stocking and then just say hey it wouldn't fit in the stocking in the package.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 09:01:21 AM »
I think you've got lots of good ideas from everyone in this thread, I'd agree that if you can find a cute way to wrap them it won't matter... plus toys are SO hard to get out of the packaging, I bet mom will be thrilled to have them already out!

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 11:22:02 AM »
Oh wow, you guys are fantastic!!  :frolic: I'm really glad this isn't like, the lowest I could stoop or something, haha, it's just so convenient to have nieces and nephews who like the same toys I do! Her parents know I collect them so I was afraid they'd think I was just being cheap or taken them from my own collection or something, but I love the ideas for how to wrap them and I think that'll definitely give it a much more intended look. Plus, I guess it's true that kids really do hate packaging and want to get to the toy that much faster  :lol: Win win for both of us!

Thanks guys, I feel better about it and have some fantastic ideas. I can now go pony shopping with ease!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal