collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Google+ Secret Santa  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: Google+ Secret Santa
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 11:30:08 AM »
@Psivampyr: you do not need to make any circles. A circle is just a group of friends out of an entire friend list. That way you can choose to post something that only they can see, or maybe something that only they can not see. Or you can use it to filter content and choose to read things that only they post. Everyone that you add as a friend on G+ goes to the default circle of "following". It's just up to you to refine it from there.

To link your profile, look on the left hand side of your G+ screen and click on the "profile" icon. Copy the URL from the address bar.

@ButtercreamDream: yes. This is a total good faith movement. There is a list maintained though. When you buy a gift for someone, you tell Secret Santa. He puts a check next to their name that someone bought for them, and he puts a check next to your name showing that you bought for someone. People are then encouraged when they choose a person to shop for, to pick someone who hasn't received anything yet, and people who have already gifted and who have not received. There is always risk that you get overlooked. That risk goes up if your list has nothing but expensive items on it. But there is also a chance that more than one person buys for you too :)

Offline Beachball

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 05:55:55 PM »
I didn't know about it last year but I'm participating in this year's. The last three years I'd been participating in a Secret Santa exchange in another community and it isn't being held this year so I'm glad to have GPlus's SS to participate in the other SS's absence. I made my Amazon.com wishlist (I chose things that were under $20) and sent in my participation form. Out of curiosity I started looking at peoples' wishlists. I looked at the wishlist of a mother on unemployment with three youngsters and the first item I saw was a $119 Super Trike DX that looks like a tricycle/stroller hybrid and I wanted to headdesk. All the kids could have a real nice gift each if you split that $119 three ways. I looked at her list some more and it's five pages long (each page holds a maximum of 25 items) and I wanted to headdesk again. Use some self control, woman! I was afraid I'd be rude to ask for anything over $20 and I figured 10-12 items on my wishlist would be appropriate.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:58:06 PM by Beachball »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Pokémon Blog: http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 06:19:42 AM »
I know what you mean! If you overwhelm someone with TONS of stuff and lots of high priced items, good luck getting any of it!

But maybe she is like me and she uses that list on a daily basis too to keep track of stuff she wants to eventually buy. I have some high priced items in my list, but they have been there for over a year now. lol!

Offline Beachball

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »
I know what you mean! If you overwhelm someone with TONS of stuff and lots of high priced items, good luck getting any of it!

But maybe she is like me and she uses that list on a daily basis too to keep track of stuff she wants to eventually buy. I have some high priced items in my list, but they have been there for over a year now. lol!
It's possible to make more than one wish list on that site. The "Create Another Wish List" button is visible near the top of the page when a person is editing their wish list. She could have made a new list for Secret Santa and look over the list she made for stuff she wanted to buy herself and add some of the items from it to the new list. It'd be kind of a pain for her to look through her huge list for what to add to a new list but the person buying for her would be grateful for a smaller amount of items to choose from.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:50:34 AM by Beachball »

Offline TwistedRainbow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Twisted Rainbow Customs
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 12:01:13 PM »
i posted the wrong links :( do you know how i can fix/change then?

Offline Beachball

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 07:16:18 PM »
You might have to make a post on the Secret Santa site about using the wrong link and how to replace it with the link you wanted up. I wish I could give you better advice than that. Good luck!

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 05:10:45 AM »
You may just be able to submit it a second time with the correct links instead

Offline Buddafly

• ERMAHGERD PWNIES!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • coffee addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
I sent 3 gifts out a few days ago, and today I was surprised with a gift of my own :)  got a new case for my kindle!
looking into a re-branding.

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »
That is pretty cool! On a relevant note, Amazon tells me someone bought me three gifts a day or so ago. Hmmm! lol

I have done gifts for one person so far, but I think that if money allows as time goes on, I might like to do more. I'll just have to play it by ear :)

Offline Buddafly

• ERMAHGERD PWNIES!
  • coffee addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 06:15:49 PM »
I have mine turned off for notifications of when someone purchases something off my wishlist.  my husband is shopping off of it, too ;)

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 06:29:51 PM »
I've bought a few gifts for different people now! :) It's a whole lot of fun to be a part of this! I like watching the #SantaGift posts as they're made.

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 05:16:00 AM »
How do you say that you sent a gift? Does it just automatically register when you buy something for someone?

*edit* I think I figured it out, and I just sent a small gift to someone. I hope it makes their day a bit brighter!  ^.^
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:10:52 AM by dxgirly »

Offline Buddafly

• ERMAHGERD PWNIES!
  • coffee addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 07:01:03 AM »
you post #gaveagift

kyla asked me to PM her with the names of the people I sent to so she could keep track.

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 07:27:46 AM »
Yeah.  I have Santa and his elves in a separate circle so I just posted a note only to the, saying #gaveagift and who to.

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
Yup I sent Kyla and Secret Santa a private message saying who I sent one to. It felt so good to get that for someone I don't even know. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal