collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Styling Pony Hair  (Read 284 times)

Offline scarlettkitty81

• Trade Count: (+275)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Styling Pony Hair
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:33:04 AM »
Hello again...

Just a quick question :) I have some G1 ponies with curly hair from braids and G3's with "box" hair. Can I use a flat iron to straighten the hair without damaging it?

thanks

Scarlettkitty81

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
Re: Styling Pony Hair
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »
If your flat iron has a low setting you should be able to use it.  I would recommend loading the hair up with conditioner and running the iron over it with the conditioner still on there.  I'm sure there's something tutorials around here somewhere.  *runs off to look*
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Honey Bunches

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
Yup - a flat iron works well! You can get away with a higher setting on the G1 ponies than on G3s, too.

Try dividing the hair into small sections and runing the iron through it, giving it a slight natural bend all the way through and especially at the ends. It'll look smooth and clean. If the braids have been in there for quite a while, you may need to repeat the process a few times.

Have fun!

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:16:28 AM »
Whyyyyyyy can I not find a tutorial for this?!  I'm sure there has to be one!  Didn't we have a sticky for cleaning and restoration tips before?

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:21:11 AM »
Personally, I wash the pony's hair with hand wash, then use conditioner and then use a hair dryer and a brush to dry the hair. I never had any trouble using a hair dryer. Just sit down, place the pony inbetween your legs and brush the hair with a hand while blowing hot hair with the other hand. It works pretty well with me and, specially with G1s, the hair will look mint as if out of package ! :D And it looks really shiny, too !

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
If the hair is just crimped from being in braids and some box hair I honestly wouldnt leap on flat irons straight away. When hair is wild and frizzy then flat irons are great but honestly for mildly crazy and crimped hair you could well get it fixed just with boiling water and a good conditioner soak and then a hair dryer or drip dry brush through without risking anything with the straighteners.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline scarlettkitty81

• Trade Count: (+275)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 06:55:58 PM »
Thanks for the tips :) I will see what I can do lol. Beleive it or not I son't have a blow dryer though. I have natural curl so my hair does not get along well with blow dryers  ;)

As for my flat iron, I think it has a low setting but I am not sure without diggin it out.

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:39:58 PM »
I use a straightening iron quite a bit, the first thing I do with most ponies is use a rat tail comb to get rid of any knots and tangles, give it a wash in conditioner, shampoo if needed. Toy ponies aren't mammals, they don't sweat. Shampoo is for cleaning hair, conditioner adds things like oils, moisturizer, polymers to add a sheen or protect it, things like that, so you don't need to shampoo your pony unless it's been rescued from a multi year stay in a garage or somewhere else where it could have gotten dirty, but conditioner is a good idea.

After I condition the hair, I run a straightening iron through it while it's still damp, and on the lowest setting. After which I'll curl it, braid it, leave it straight, or do whatever else. I've yet to have any issues with the hair melting, but I've managed to give a lot of ponies straight hair.

I have a blag about ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal