collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fibromyalgia  (Read 575 times)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
Fibromyalgia
« on: November 12, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
So...I was recently diagnosed with fibro, and I was wondering who else on here had it and how you cope with it?  It explains a lot about why I feel so achy and tired all the time.  My Rheumy has given me a list and how to change some lifestyle ways, as well as medication for my sleeping issues, but other than that, she expects things will work to my benefit.  =] 

It was suspected that I had another autoimmune disorder going along with this, but it didn't show up on my most recent bloodwork, so she doesn't think things are heading that direction right now.  It's a bit frustrating, but I'm glad that it's just one issue to deal with at a time.  We are going to keep monitoring things just in case it turns into an auto immune issue later on down the road, but for now, I'm learning new things and trying to take things a day at a time. 

In addition to the auto immune problems, I am still have female issues of the Mother-Nature-is-too-persistant-and-staying-too-long type.  >.<  Hopefully I can get that cleared up tomorrow when I visit my PCP.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:34:15 PM by TexasGal »

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Fibromyalgia
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:02:35 PM »
My mom has it and I have been having alot of the same signs of it. But I have not been to the doc to see if I do have it or not. I have been on pain meds and muscle relaxers for over a year now. I did take a good sleep aid one night and slept all threw the night. Did not wake up a thound times. I woke up feeling good and not hurting like heck! I always wake up so sore and stiff. Do you have that problem in the mornings?

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »
I can tell when I've slept too long on one side. That side hurts a lot more. I seem to get symptoms more when I don't get enough exercise.

I've heard of others that had good success with yoga and acupuncture.

Hope you can find what works for you. One thing I've noticed is that Fibromyalgia manifests itself a little differently for everyone so the solutions are varied too.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline LadyStarCatcher

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:10:47 PM »
My mom and I both have it. My Grandma does Thai Chi to help with hers. Stretching seems to help me keep it tolerable. But some days are worse than others. I work retail. Which helps and doesn't at the same time.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 08:52:12 PM »
I know we have a few members who have it. I'm sure they'll be able to offer some thoughts.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Cumberbatch2012

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 09:33:13 PM »
I know a few people with it.  There are 2 sides to it, the miserable people who get diagnosed, plop down, and never move again, and the brave, strong ones who keep going and prevent themselves from wasting away. 

The first one I knew to have it was an exes' mother.  She is one of the ones who plopped down on her bed and gave up the day she was diagnosed.  She now weighs well over 400 lbs., cannot take care of herself, and cannot walk at all.  I always see her going around Wal-Mart on a motorized cart, which sadly, she barely fits on.  A friend of a friend had it and before she passed away from something unrelated, she was in a wheelchair because she, too, had stopped moving.  My aunt was diagnosed with it a couple years ago and blew up from only slightly overweight to very obese and, last I saw, hobbles around with a walker.  That's the bad side, the ones who get it and give up, thinking the answer to everything about it is to stop moving.

Then there's a girl I work with.  She is 21 or so and has it.  She is extremely fit and active.  She is always at the gym, always out running and walking.  She is at her ideal weight.  She works for a gym in the next town over teaching yoga and aerobics as her second job.  She knows, just like everyone else who has it should know, that if she stops moving, her body will give up.  She knows staying physically active will reduce the pain and stop things from getting much, much worse.   I am proud of her.

So what I'm saying is stay active.  Don't think you have no choice other than just sitting in one spot, afraid to move, wasting away.  Staying healthy and active actually helps the problem tremendously.  You'll have a much better time with this disease if you don't give up.  :)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 08:26:41 AM »
I was definitely told to do some exercising every day to help with it.  I take karate twice a week for over an hour each time, so I definitely get some exercise in with that, so I am thinking I will supplement that with some yoga every evening before bed.  That is relaxing and should help me with some of my stretching for karate (sidekicks anyone?).  Dr is calling me in something to help with my sleeping so that will be nice. 

I have occasionally woken up feeling super sore and stiff, and i just have to tough it out through the rest of the day, but it usually isn't too bad.  I almost never wake up feeling refreshed though, so that is definitely a not-so-cool factor.  I'll live though, lol.

I have been trying to get up and move more through the day to make sure that I try to stretch out a bit and keep active.  I have to for my weight issues now too, which are annoying me.  >.<  There are days when I just hate to look at my stairs (I live in an upper story apartment) and I just want to cry, but I have to get up there somehow, so push on I do. 

I'm going to try to keep thinking more about what is the end goal for the next two years for me.  Third degree black belt!  It's a tough testing though, and when I tested last time, it was really painful and difficult, but I passed, so that made all the pain worth it.  I'm ervous about how I will do this next time because of how much I have been hurting though.  >.<  I know it'll eventually get more manageable, but its still scary. 

I don't want to ever end up all stove up like my sensei did (she's our current sensei's mama).  She had knee problems, stopped working out, and got all stove up so now she is stuck in a wheel chair...I never want to end up that way, so I am going to keep pushing and trying to get to where I feel better. 

Thank you guys!  This is so encouraging to know there are others on here with similar issues...*hugs*

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:49:15 AM »
I have it. I take a medication called neurontin which has chronic pain relief sideaffects. It's a life saver. While I still am in pain almost every day, it is not as severe as it was and I am able to actually live my life. But, the biggest thing you can do for yourself and your pain is to keep active, keep the blood flowing to the muscles! Yoga is really good as it stretches your muscles and ligaments.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »
Not diagnosed with it, but I do know the 'fristrating' aspect of not knowing whats wrong <3

Sounds like stretching techniques might work out for you^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »
Third Degree! Wow! Congrats!

I'm halfway to my black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I have about another year and a half. I've found that the forms (Kata in Karate?) help me quite a bit with the stretching. Since I have to practice them so much to remember them, I try to do them every day. Another thing that helps me is Arnica Gel for soreness. Helps with bruising after sparring too! ;) I think strength training is also supposed to be helpful but I can't get to the gym as much as I'd like.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »
Yay Teresat!  My hubby is a Black Belt in TKD too.  =]  He loved it but it trying my style of karate when he has the nights off and time to practice. 

Yes, katas, exactly!  Those aren't bad and I need to really get into gear of trying to memorize all my new ones and reviewing the old ones.  It does help to go slow on them, and I only have major difficulty on one and only in one spot.  (spin hook kick, complete turn around, and jump down.  It's like a dodge technique).  Hehe so much fun.  I'm going tonight and I am hoping I can get to where I am feeling better.  =]

Arnica...such lovely stuff.  =D  Mom has a HUGE things of it in her back xD  Says it's for senior division but she shares it too, lol. 

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 05:03:52 PM »
I have it too.

I went from fit, active, always out walking etc to being barely able to move. I make sure I move about as much as possible but some days it is totally impossible. I miss taking my dogs out so much but the thought of using a cart or wheelchair scares the crap out of me, as in my head although I am classed as 'disabled', once I lose my independence I am well and truly disabled...if that makes sense!

Keeping positive if you are in chronic pain is the best thing IMO, when I am stuck in bed or on the sofa and can't move I look at my pets, my OH, my ponies and think how bloody lucky I am to have them all :D Never fails to put a smile back on my face! Heat - wheat bags and my heat blanket are total life savers.

I would chop of both my legs if that meant I could go back to work and get a proper job, in fact horrible as it seems sometimes I wish I had lost my legs rather than have been lumbered with chronic pain, chronic muscle spasms and chronic fatigue. But...it could be worse, so I'm happy I can still get about half the time :)

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »
I don't have fibro, but I have autoimmune disease (lupus) and the second problem you mention.  If you ever want to commiserate, PM me.  :hug:

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Honey Bunches

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 05:24:20 PM »
My loves to you dear. I have extended family with fibro and will ask what helps best for them.
I am so glad that you've called on folks from the Arena. They are always so kind and helpful.

My best wishes and hugs to you, darlin'! I can seem so overwhelming when a diagnosis is fresh.

- Honey

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
I have it. I take a medication called neurontin which has chronic pain relief sideaffects. It's a life saver. While I still am in pain almost every day, it is not as severe as it was and I am able to actually live my life. But, the biggest thing you can do for yourself and your pain is to keep active, keep the blood flowing to the muscles! Yoga is really good as it stretches your muscles and ligaments.

I am familiar with that because my partner has multiple sclerosis and they use it for that. I've heard good things!

I would say the things you've mentioned are great. I know that MS and fibromyalgia both are dealt with with pain medicine but also good amounts of exercise/stretching. Keeping your body moving is the important part.

Best of luck with finding your perfect treatment. 
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal