collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else with no childhood pony memories?  (Read 1801 times)

majikarte

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anyone else with no childhood pony memories?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 11:42:13 AM »
I didn't have any ponies as a kid. My sister had a few, but I wasn't really interested in them then.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »
People come to collecting ponies in all different ways - they could have collected since being children, they could be collectors of other vintage/modern toys, they could just come to it through the new fandom or many many more options. It doesn't really matter how you arrive at MLP or what childhood memories you have it doesn't make any more more or less of a collector - we all love MLP now and that's the important part.

I came to them through childhood memories and a wish to expand on my retro collection and now I pretty much collect ponies for the sake of ponies not for any other reason or due to any other memory. I have plenty of pony memories as a little girl and I did adore them then but I was more of a Sindy doll girl when young than ponies to be honest.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »
I'm an 80s kid and although I did have a handful of ponies, they were far from my favorite toys. I never even knew there was a TV show then before I joined the Arena :lol:

I came here because of customs with no desire to collect official ponies. That didn't last long! :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 01:14:19 PM »
I had no ponies, my little pony wasn't even around again till i'm was a bit older. (about like 8?) My little cousin had some so I always saw them as a baby's toy. It wasn't till I got swept up into the Brony culture did I ever even take interest in them.

I'm sure I might have had a fakie or two my other cousin and I loved to spend our pocket change on horse toys from the local dollar store.

Offline naylastar

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 01:19:36 PM »
Ok, confession time. I didn't like My Little Pony as a kid. I just didn't see the appeal. Although I was such a tomboy when I was younger. I was outside rolling in the dirt with my friends, who were all boys. I didn't watch cartoons at all really, or play with dolls or anything like that. I got into it when I first saw a picture of Nightmare Moon, I couldn't believe how awesome she looked and I was like, "I don't remember ponies looking so cool". I watched the show and I've been hooked ever since. I only started about a year ago too.

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 04:48:51 PM »
I wanted them as a kid (I grew up in the tail end of the G1 era/G2 era), but my mom never bought me any because they were "too expensive".  So I had to settle with dollar store fakies.  I did have a Lightheart that I "borrowed" from a friend. >.>

But apparently Grand Champion horses weren't as expensive as MLPs as I had (and still have) a metric crap-tonne of them.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Angelshy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »
Wow, so many responses! I love making threads right before I go to bed and waking up to this  :biggrin:

Thanks for the replies so far. I do feel much better  :lol:

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »
I had a few as a kid (Windwhistler, Raincurl and apparently Sundance) and my sister had Glory but I was never really into MLP as a kid.  Although I was an 80s kid, I was really into Barbies and Disney.  I liked my Wibdwhistler a lot but I quickly lost her and I never knew what to do with Raincurl because I didn't ave other toys in that size range.

I only got into MLP when my best friend got me a g3 themed MLP present sometime back and then I started looking at g1s and realized how cute they were.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »
I never had any as a kid myself. I grew up during the height of the Pokémon/Digimon craze of the late 90s' and early 2000s' and was obsessed with them for as long as I can remember. I didn't really get into ponies through the FiM show, either; it was the toys that intrigued me the most when I saw them in stores. I've since discovered G1s and G2s I like too, and am well on my way to being buried in all kinds of different ponies!  :frolic:

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »
*sigh* I was born way too soon. If my best friend and I had been eighties girls, we'd have been all over the MLPs. We always played "horses" on the playground, and had a bunch of little animal toys we created worlds with out of all kinds of weird things. We'd have been over the moon about the castle!! My son got into MLP five or six years ago after seeing the 80s cartoon, and dragged me to a couple fairs--and now I'm "worse" than he is about them LOL.

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 09:30:56 PM »
I don't really have any childhood pony memories. I never got interested in them until G3 came out, when I was in my teens. 'Course, I was born in '88, so by the time I was really old enough to be interested, they were pretty much done with G1. 

I DID have some ponies as a kid, but they were ones I picked up at yard sales because I thought they were cute; they weren't something I ever really remember playing with. I do remember trying to scrub the fuzz off what I know now was a So Soft pony with a toothbrush because I thought it was mold/dirt/something that shouldn't have been there. XD
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline Henpatch

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »
I certainly did NOT have any childhood memories of MLPs.....I am WAY too old!   :biggrin:
However, my 2 youngest girls DID have a few that of course I bought.....but I started about 10 years ago seriously collecting G1s for my little granddaughter. She is now a teenager and into other "stuff" but I got hooked on collecting ponies for ME!!
Am I a SUPER Nana or what!   :accomplished:
I have a GREAT collection - G1s - almost all - many European ponies - Nirvanas and even lots of G3s .....even lots of customs.....hundreds of ponies!
Age - I hope - doesn't matter! 
Goodness knows what will happen to my collection when I am carted off to the "Old Folks Home"!!   :yikes:

Thank you SDS for my lovely Jumble pony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal