collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else with no childhood pony memories?  (Read 1805 times)

Angelshy

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone else with no childhood pony memories?
« on: November 11, 2012, 02:42:30 AM »
It can't just be me XD

I'm relatively new to collecting MLP.  I wandered in to the arena after I became a fan of FiM and had bought a couple of g4 brushables. Since then I've started collecting G4s and G3s then I bought a G1. 

Thing is, it seems that the majority of the collectors here have fond childhood memories of ponies, with childhood ponies holding a special place in the collection no matter the condition. I did unearth two childhood G1 babies when I was rummaging through old toy boxes, but I barely played with them as a little girl. They were actually my sister's ponies (she's more or less given them to me now, though XD) and I didn't like them much until I started collecting this year  :lol:

Anyway, I guess I feel less worthy as a collector and worry that I've just come in on the bandwagon and once FiM dies I'll be looking at all these plastic horses that have taken over my room and say "oh man, what was I thinking?".   But surely no, right?

TL;DR
Anyone else on here who wasn't keen on MLP as a kid? I want to hear stories to reassure me that I'm not secretly a huge phoney XD

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else with no childhood pony memories?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 03:13:25 AM »
I think I have childhood memories..

I mean, I remember for one of my birthdays I got a G2 crystal eye pony. But I totally don't know where that went.. >_>

Offline BrightIdea

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 03:25:15 AM »
I remember playing with my friends with ponies,  and sort of remember watching the 80's cartoon.

But I can't really remember a single thing about the cartoon anymore. Apparently my dad was watching it with me, and he still remembers the opening song, lol. Maybe watching it would help me remember better :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 04:18:03 AM »
i have one. i remember when i was about 7 or 8 a school friend gave me one of her ponies. i think maybe it was grey, with white hair, and a white diamond on it's forehead. not even sure if it was a real pony, would of been around '87/'88, but what stands out the most was the boy across the road from me who when he saw it sang: "my little pony, my little pony. i kick it in the head till it's really really dead" lol!!!!! but i love collecting them for my daughter now, and hope she never never grows out of them :)

Offline appletini

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 04:19:11 AM »
I also got introduced to ponies through FIM and the G4 toyline. Got addicted and became a "brony" and started collecting all the toys too. Although I guess my being a boy means it wouldn't be expected anyway. :P

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 04:45:52 AM »
Not sure why people use the term Brony! Why can't they just call themselves lovers of the show My Little Pony :O

Brony makes me think of some sort of cult with all that love and tolerance crap lol

Another memory is seeing My Little Pony movie at school! I think I was in grade 4..

Water_Fire

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 05:10:35 AM »
From what I've seen there's two main collector camps: those who were into ponies as children, and those who got into it via FiM. I don't fit into either, as I didn't have any as a kid and I only started collecting when I was 16!

We need to make a third group, a 'group who started collecting because they thought ponies were cute' kind of thing. Maybe with a better name.

Offline appletini

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 05:26:59 AM »
Not sure why people use the term Brony! Why can't they just call themselves lovers of the show My Little Pony :O

Brony makes me think of some sort of cult with all that love and tolerance crap lol

Another memory is seeing My Little Pony movie at school! I think I was in grade 4..

I use it because of all of those aspects. I will admit it is pretty cultish with it's mantra and whatnot, but the term started so that the "bronies" could separate themselves from the regular fandom of pony lovers such as the people here. (It just keeps getting more and more cult sounding doesn't it? :lol:) It started because the majority of bronies don't get into the toys (aside from the occasional blind bag) and stick to the one generation and the show FIM specifically.

Also a lot of the bronies are super self conscious in real life (myself not among them, but :shrug:) and needed a name that didn't sound as girlie as the show they loved. It was also a way for the fandom to unite under one banner that wasn't centering around the toys but rather the show.

To the person who started the thread, sorry for the quick derail. :blush:

Argentum-Zeena

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 05:37:08 AM »
You're not alone!
I've only been into mlp for a few months (I think I started collecting sometime between January and April). Like others, FiM drew me in. Lately, though, I've been loving my non-show ponies and G1s more than the show! Before that I have absolutely no memories of mlp (well, there were happy meal toys but I never bothered with those). I only cared about my Barbies, Bratz, and Beanie Babies :P

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 05:44:30 AM »
I'll be honest, I was a pony lover no matter what (real ponies or colorful ponies). I 'collected' various horses and ponies as a kid but I can tell you, I -don't- remember how I got my G1 ponies... I only had about 3 G1 ponies as a kid but I do remember buying at least 2 G2s (I had 3 of them as a kid too, don't remember how I got G2 MM Ivy). All the rest were fakies that some I remember getting and some I don't... I remember how I got most of my horses though, which is odd... So my childhood memories of my Ponies is limited, with the exception I remember watching the shows as often as I could XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 05:51:58 AM »
I didn't grow up with MLP, so, you're not alone. I know that, as a kid, I would have loved it, but I just never had any ponies.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Mlphammy

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 09:29:12 AM »
I got into ponies by FiM. But, I grew up with them at a young age (my sister has more memories, she got more into them) and I only have faint memories.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 09:33:44 AM »
I wasn't into MLP as a child. I was actually a fan of dolls, especially Barbie. And Disney. But not MLP. I didn't have any ponies when I was a child. FiM hit the scene and I had some friends going ga-ga over it. A year after, I finally watched seasons one and two on Netflix and got hooked that way. I mostly have G3s and G4s with a fair collection of G3.5s and a few G1s.

So I also have absolutely no childhood memories of My Little Pony.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 10:52:06 AM »
It's not like there's an actual ranking system for best pony fan. You're not less real for when you got into it! Unless you're actually a very clever computer program, at which point my organic racism will take hold. Get out, codey!
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline PaintedHooves

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dayna's Custom Ponies
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 11:02:08 AM »
I didn't grow up with a single pony!  I actually started "getting into" MLP through customization.  I don't remember how I stumbled upon it, but i was hooked.  I loved watching the new customs that Aikarin would post on her website; she was my inspiration to start customizing.  I only really started collecting because of the G4's and because they're so darn cute :P  My collection is starting to spread though, and I recently acquired a giant Frilly Frocks plush :D  Ponies are addictive!  No matter the generation!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal