collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: TAMIYA enamels on Mh/ponies?  (Read 963 times)

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
TAMIYA enamels on Mh/ponies?
« on: November 10, 2012, 08:25:25 PM »
has anybody used a tamiya enamel paint or their enamel paint marker on their mh dolls or ponies? How long would the drying time be do you thing? I'm usign the white tamiya paint marker and after 24 hours... it's still a little tacky ;--; And just when I got the eye outline done good for once.

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: TAMIYA enamels on Mh/ponies?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 08:58:15 PM »
from what I understand Enamels are not a good idea to use on ponies.. only time I've ever seen enamel paint used on a pony, the pony remained sticking for like ever I don't think it ever dried fully.

I don't have any sort of solid answer though, hopefully someone else will know :3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »
I've used small amounts of enamels on ponies before and it never dried, even after nearly two weeks. I ended up taking a paper towel and wiping it right off; you couldn't even tell there was paint there, lol. When I asked a similar question about ponies and enamels a lot of people came back and said that they just don't work.

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 02:13:08 AM »
I've used small amounts of enamels on ponies before and it never dried, even after nearly two weeks. I ended up taking a paper towel and wiping it right off; you couldn't even tell there was paint there, lol. When I asked a similar question about ponies and enamels a lot of people came back and said that they just don't work.

gaaaaaaaahhhhhh! I guess it's a lie, why would they say it's good for plastics thing? I feel so ripped off orz

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 06:09:12 AM »
I'm sure it means hard plastics.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 06:17:18 AM »
as far as i know, they are for little model planes and such, probably hardplastic >,< i used it on a customized licence plate, that did work well. ;)
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline wiccanpony1

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »
The tamiya enamel paints dont work on ponies as they never dry fully however the tamiya acrylics are awesome on ponies go on really smooth and dry lovely x x I use the tamiya enamel paints for model cars/bikes :)

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »
Yeah, enamel and ponies don't mix!  Technically ponies aren't really plastic, they're vinyl.  It's a totally different substance really.  The only thing I've found that really works 100% of the time is acrylic.  I work on other vinyl toys and have had luck with other paint types on things like Dunny, but acrylic is the only thing I can get a consistent result with on a pony.  Not sure about your Monster High dolls though.

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline d13tp3ps1

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • My store!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 09:19:30 AM »
I use tamiya acrylics, and they're lovely! I've even used the tamiya spray paints to do full body repaints, and as long as I put down a few layers of primer or even normal acrylic craft paint, i don't have any problems with sticky ponies! I'd see if you can find some of the tamiya acrylics because they really do have a great smooth finish.
Brain Basket on Etsy-I sell customs, vintage toys, and handmade accessories! Check me out!

:biggrin: I have two commission slots open!

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 09:32:10 AM »
I was just going to mention what d13tp3ps1 said, you might try laying down a few layers of acrylic first and then trying the enamel. That way it's sticking to the acrylics, not the surface of the pony.

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 09:16:11 PM »
I use tamiya acrylics, and they're lovely! I've even used the tamiya spray paints to do full body repaints, and as long as I put down a few layers of primer or even normal acrylic craft paint, i don't have any problems with sticky ponies! I'd see if you can find some of the tamiya acrylics because they really do have a great smooth finish.

I was looking on ebay and they're $5 a bottle for 10 ml.. kinda pricey, I was thinking- would the super arty acrylics from the art store have the same effect?

If I can get more, that's the same or better quality than tamiya then I'll try it haha. :blush:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:18:15 PM by bagheera86 »

Offline d13tp3ps1

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • My store!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 10:28:41 AM »

I was looking on ebay and they're $5 a bottle for 10 ml.. kinda pricey, I was thinking- would the super arty acrylics from the art store have the same effect?

If I can get more, that's the same or better quality than tamiya then I'll try it haha. :blush:

To be honest, none of the other acrylic paints I've used have had the same finish as the Tamiya. I've tried many different brands of craft store paint. The Tamiya has specific applications (at least in my opinion) and isn't as versatile as normal craft store paint though. I don't think I'd use any of the flat or gloss tamiya colors for a full body repaint, for example, because they're so slick. They tend to look better when used for cutie marks and eyes only (again, just my opinion). You'd probably get better value if you used your money to buy nice craft store paint rather than Tamiya paint for that reason.
Brain Basket on Etsy-I sell customs, vintage toys, and handmade accessories! Check me out!

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »

To be honest, none of the other acrylic paints I've used have had the same finish as the Tamiya. I've tried many different brands of craft store paint. The Tamiya has specific applications (at least in my opinion) and isn't as versatile as normal craft store paint though. I don't think I'd use any of the flat or gloss tamiya colors for a full body repaint, for example, because they're so slick. They tend to look better when used for cutie marks and eyes only (again, just my opinion). You'd probably get better value if you used your money to buy nice craft store paint rather than Tamiya paint for that reason.
Oh I just wnat to use it to paint smooth eye whites.

Offline d13tp3ps1

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • My store!
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 08:14:23 PM »
If it's just for the eyes I'd get a jar, since you'll only need one color! The finish is really smooth. :biggrin:

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 05:59:57 AM »
SO.

Tamiya enamel paint pen (it's their enamel paint, thinned I assume, in a pen.) DOES dry if you put it over acrylics, but you have to put it on SUPER thin. And give it a few days to dry.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal