collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is it about them?  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
What is it about them?
« on: November 10, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »
What happened? I used to hate them and then suddenly I just fell absolutely in love with g2s. Enough that I bought a huge lot of them off ebay and finding some in my packed up boxes got me really excited.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

They're not built like a normal pony, but I just keep admiring their molds now. And they had such keen colour combos.

So what makes a toy go from 'meh whatever' to 'omg the best!'?
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What is it about them?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »
I've had that happen with a lot of different ponies, and I think everyone has that one pony that got them interested in a certain generation or style. For example, I love G2s-something about those smiley faces and long legs just makes them absolutely adorable to me-but only after I ran into Light Heart and fell in love with her colour combination. I was also pretty indifferent to G4 brushables before I started collecting, but they quickly grew on me after I saw some out of package and nicely styled. I found G3 ponyville ponies somewhat cute too once I received a few mixed in with a blind bag order from China, though not as cute as my gens of choice. Ponies are infectious, I guess.  :lol:

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:21:27 PM »
I think for me, it's that they are the only gen that I can still really actively collect. The only G3's on my want list are Caribbean Delight & Beach Belle, and a few Euro bonus Breezies. The only G1's are some VERY rare Nirvanas and a few misc. Euro's. I've kept up with pretty much all the G4 releases that I want.

So when I got over G2's looking so different than G1's and G3's, it was fun to have a wish list that I can actually actively hunt down and collect again. Also, the fact that they do look so different means that they can have a totally different umm, I think I've heard it called head cannon? to me than the G1's and G3's.
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 02:55:30 PM »
You are obviously wanting my pony diet to have variety
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 03:37:23 PM »
Lol - this happened to me years ago with the Princess ponies. Every time I got one in a lot I sold it on...and then one day I got a Princess Serena and I just went "wow...you are so sparkly and pretty and lovely...I must keep you...and find all your Princess sisters as well".

So I don't have a clue on the why but I understand the how!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline UnicornTamer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Everypony needs Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Dreams
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 04:13:03 PM »
Maybe when you get one of your own. I use to be meh about Core 7s (I liked them, I just wasn't crazy about them) and then I got Sweetie Belle. She's lovely and suddenly, I like them more.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »
Congrats on them. I still have not gotten bit by that bug yet. Not sure what it is about them???

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »
I know what it *didn't* used to be about them.  They look so very different from G1s, I never used to give them a second look.

I have three now (just found my third, a lightly chewed previously loved Sky Skimmer, at a thrift shop) and while I don't know if I'll go off on a quest to get them all, I won't turn one down if the opportunity presents itself. ^.^  Except the unicorns... those, I must have.

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

momo_no_hime

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »
The more I keep looking at G2s, the more I want them. I swear that my thinking is: pretty color schemes, THE BABIES (so cute!!!), and the fact that they're thin= more that can be crammed on a shelf! :lol: I think if I saw Hip Holly in real life I would end up wanting all of them!

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 05:41:12 PM »
G2's are my all time favorite gen and the gen closest to my heart! I would give anything to have a full collection but right now I only have about 8 of them. <3

These were the ponies I had as a child.

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 06:21:24 PM »
Aww, great to see the girls in their new home :) I actually finally admitted to myself that I don't really like them so I'm just keeping a few of my favourites so I think i'm having the opposite problem :P
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 03:47:01 AM »
Its a psychological phenomenon known as the "exposure effect".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_effect

The more you see them, the cuter they get!

I do think G2s are really lovely. A few of them have been catching my eye lately. Now I am toying with the idea of getting my favourite ones.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 03:54:22 AM »
I used to detest G2s as well, but then I discovered Golden Light and Silwer Swirl! Such beautiful elegant creatures! Now I'm desperate to find Silwer Swirl MOC to accompany my Golden Light!

I think one certain pony can defenitely turn you on to a hole set/gen.

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 04:00:23 AM »
Once people got used to G4's, I think it became a lot easier for them to open up to G2's as well.

little.fox, I just saw that Sweet Tooth thingy in an Ebay lot, but I think the auction already ended.  I'll check my watch list to see if I still have it saved.  What is it, anyway?
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 04:05:19 AM »
That familiarity effect thing makes a lot of sense- if I'm at a thrift store and I see something from my childhood, something I might have even forgotten about, it's a good bet that I will be buying that thing. And that tone in people's voices when they say "My Little Pony? I had some of those!" Nice to know there's a name for it- my husband would like to know if there is a cure! LOL!

I had the same thing happen with the g3.5's. I didn't actively collect them, but there was a Starsong at a yard sale, and I can't leave a pony at a yard sale. Then Starsong went mushroom hunting with me (something about looking a little like a truffle pig) and I was lost. What they lack in the graceful beauty of the g2's they make up for in indestructiveness.

And I agree with Momo- the babies did me in. They look so adorable, and like they need your love more than the other ponies.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal