collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Feeling terrible about my ponies and don't know what to do  (Read 1960 times)

Offline HorsingAround

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling terrible about my ponies and don't know what to do
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 07:42:31 AM »
I hope this quote from C.S. Lewis helps. :) He's the guy who wrote the Chronicles of Narnia. I personally find it awesome.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

That is a great quote, C.S. Lewis rocks!  :)

If you like your ponies I say display them proudly! :biggrin: I think it is great that we here on this forum have found something that we really enjoy!  My pony collecting is not supported by some of those around me (namely, my brother-in-law and father).  When he starts making rude/snide comments I do not become defensive but rather respond with  a really positive comment or tell a story about how I acquired a certain pony.  NO matter what you are collecting or what you are doing in general, there will ALWAYS be someone trying to rain on your parade.  Don't worry so much about conforming to social "norms"... social norms can be so boring!  Life is too short not to do the things that make you happy!  :)
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »
if it makes you feel any better i'm  31 and  i  live with  my parents.  i also live ina camper next tomy parents house and have  turned my bedroom into a pony room.  the room is  overflowing with  ponys due to lck of space so it looks a littlere  cluttered. i can't drive so my  parents drive  me  around looking for toys. lol  i'm not embarrsed. and last  night  i  was  setting up  one  of my playsets.  wit items. and   i have ponys all over the celebaration castle.  and  trying to reorginize for more ponys. dont feel embarrsed. but yes i think that soemtimes we do feel embarrsed becuase   as adults  people ingenral dont expect us to play with toys. but i think that makes you dull and boirng..    you should enjoy them!

most of mine are on shelves.   and i can only see the ones ont eh front row.  wha ti do is put some on my little nightstand to showcase them.   if you are feeling embarrsed  then  put some of them away.   and hten when yoru ready pull them out agian.   i know sometimes  just sitting there you can feel overewhelemd. 

sometimes  people  can be like no more ponys you have neough junk..  and  then  they go out and still help you find more.  and if your worried aobut your firends not understanding then maybe thre not  really your  friends.  becuase friends should build you up  not tear you down..   and  you always  have people here on the arena for support.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 08:13:30 AM »
I love my collection and show them off proudly in my house. I have had people at work think that its weird, but then they are boring people with no hobbies!

Put them away if you feel that way and give it time. If you do miss them bring them back out. If not then think about it hard on what your going to do.

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
I think your just having a knee jerk reaction to seeing them all out at once- Leave them out for a week or so and see how you feel then. If you still feel its to much put about half in a bin and store them for 6 months- then switch! you wouldn't feel like its all cluttered that way~ and every 6 months you get to see the other half keeping them fresh and new :D I did this for a long time when I had less space to display my herd and it worked really well.

Offline Sumire

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 09:39:58 AM »
I lived in a one room apartment in my twenties and one day I moved all my "childish" things into a closet.  I had a bookcase in there with my manga and my Sailor Moon and CLAMP art books on it.  I put my ponies in there as well.  I wanted my one room to reflect a more mature atmosphere as inviting anyone into my apartment meant they were basically in my bedroom.  I felt too exposed having everything out.

In my thirties I got back into collecting and I have my ponies scattered about my much bigger apartment but I might have a time when I want a different look again and they might be moved.  To me your living space should reflect who you are as much as possible and unless you are completely static, what you want around you will change.

In my opinion, don't over think it.  You don't even have a whole room to call your very own right now, so the space you do have should reflect you perfectly.  If ponies reflect you right now, put them out.  If three purple ponies reflect you right now, pack the rest and put them out.  If you're going through a books as art phase, display those.  Stack books and put ponies on top of them if you like!  Or fill your shelves with plants or bright pottery or a collection of tea spoons.  Change it next week.  Just do what makes you feel happy in your space.
If wishes were horses, they'd be My Little Ponies.
Thanks to moonflower for my adorable adoptable!

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 10:12:37 AM »
I am 38 and yes I love my little pony. I do have a collection in my living room. I don't feel ashamed of it. I don't live with my parents so that is a big thing. I can see that could be an issue. Though if you feel inclined to put your collection away for awhile that is ok too. Taking a collecting away for awhile helps because sometimes it makes bringing the ponies back even more fun. :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:15:49 AM by SkyCakes »

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 10:31:52 AM »
Thank you guys all for taking the time to respond  :hug: Now that it's morning and I've had some time to think on it, I'm really liking a lot of your suggestions to maybe put just some of them away and leave it only  handful to switch out. The shelf where I have my G3 babies displayed is actually the one shelf I smile every time I look at and don't feel any guilt at whatsoever, so I think perhaps they're the ones who'll stay out for awhile.

And I'm sorry if I offended because I feel this way. To explain a bit more to those who asked, I moved out right after I graduated at 18, and now with one year of school left, I've moved back home with my parents without plans to move back out anytime soon. I suppose I could if I absolutely had to, but at this point, working only part time, still attending school 2 hours away and having no clue what to seek out as a solid career (isn't it strange when you no longer what to do what you got your degree to do??), then it wouldn't be the most responsible thing to do. I'd literally be just scraping by to afford any sort of rent, and with what I'm making I don't even know if I could afford bills on top of that. Plus, I know my parents like the added relief of extra help when they babysit or need help with their busy schedules. They certainly don't make me feel guilty for living here, they openly welcome it, but I guess just where I am now..an adult with no real home to call my own, no boyfriend or any foreseeable chances at finding one (and howdy boy, trust me I have tried for way too long), and a clueless future, it gets overwhelming and sometimes I feel like the toy collecting is only making it worse. If I had my own home, a steady partner or even just a real job, maybe I wouldn't feel this way.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
growing up is overrated, if it makes you happy then there is nothing wrong with that.
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 12:21:10 PM »
Awwww Inky!  It's ok:). I think we all go through phases when it comes to ponies.  I think part of your frustration could be related to sharing your personal space.  That must be really hard on you! 

I agree with everyone's suggestions so far.  Toy collecting isn't something overly unusual or strange by any means.  If you ever feel judged by anyone, come here and we'll make you feel better :biggrin:   We love you Inky, don't get down on yourself!!!!

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »
Life is to short to act grown up all the time. We have to have fun things in our life. And Mr Right will come along someday :)

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 01:28:01 PM »
They certainly don't make me feel guilty for living here, they openly welcome it, but I guess just where I am now..an adult with no real home to call my own, no boyfriend or any foreseeable chances at finding one (and howdy boy, trust me I have tried for way too long), and a clueless future, it gets overwhelming and sometimes I feel like the toy collecting is only making it worse. If I had my own home, a steady partner or even just a real job, maybe I wouldn't feel this way.

I know how you feel, and it is a really tough place to be in emotionally :hug: I get embarrassed about my ponies and dolls sometimes too, but I try to remember that it really isn't up to society to tell me I shouldn't enjoy the things I do enjoy. So I try to just enjoy, age be darned. :heart: I also do what others have suggested--not have everything out all at once. Right now only my favourite ponies are on my bookshelves and the others are hanging out in their bin.  :)

Toy collecting isn't something overly unusual or strange by any means.  If you ever feel judged by anyone, come here and we'll make you feel better :biggrin:

Right on! :biggrin:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
  It does sound like you're in a rough position. If it makes you feel better, then by all means but the ponies away, but don't get rid of them. You will regret it.  For me, once I became more independent, I was way less embarrassed about my toys and hobbies, because let's face it, society does still have a stigma against toy collecting, and we are going to feel that pressure sometimes.  No need for anyone to be offended just because some of us lack the confidence that you have.
  Anyway, got off track there.  Once I became a semi-functioning adult, I became much more confident about my toys. Like, in my head it wasn't okay for a teenager to be buying Pokémon toys, but I'm an adult now, and adults can do whatever they want! :D  And someday, when you have more space, the ponies can be spread out and you can once again acknowledge its humble size.
  Hang in there!
I'll put something here some time

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
Its an individual thing - some people love their ponies loudly and proudly and for others its a private and personal thing. There is no harm in either :) and people collect wilder and weirder things that toys and My Little Pony.

I agree as others have said it could just be seeing them altogether in one place. I know when some people see my collection its "woah...too much" and perhaps sometimes to some people it can be.

I would say I think I understand why you could be embarrassed and if pony or toy collecting makes you uncomfortable in real life then that is something which needs addressed. Initially, I would suggest not to get rid of them - put them away again and cycle out your favourites for display if you prefer them in smaller quantities and if that makes no difference then pack them away again - if you don't miss them perhaps you need to refocus your collecting.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
Its an individual thing - some people love their ponies loudly and proudly and for others its a private and personal thing. There is no harm in either :) and people collect wilder and weirder things that toys and My Little Pony.

I agree as others have said it could just be seeing them altogether in one place. I know when some people see my collection its "woah...too much" and perhaps sometimes to some people it can be.

I completely agree that there's no harm in either, and I also love that C.S. Lewis quote that was posted above.  Our eldest is going through an "I don't watch cartoons anymore because they're lame and I want to be more grown up" phase, and we just say, "Hey, we're adults and we like cartoons!"  Being childish is one thing; being childlike is another -- it's not only acceptable, it's encouraged! 

Also, I had to laugh when I read that some people see your collection and think "woah...too much."  We had a friend over for lunch today and she was amazed at all the ponies she saw on our bookshelves and entertainment centre.  I was like, "You ain't seen nothin' yet."  :lol:

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
It's all right to feel a little insecure sometimes. I have a room filled with action figures, Pokemon merch, dolls, Harry Potter merch, Lord of the Rings merch and ponies. Sometimes I wonder if I'm odd because of it lol. Then I realize how happy I am when I get new things and how happy I am with my collection. :)

Stop worrying. If you're happy with them, don't worry about what everyone else thinks. If your friends have a problem with them, they aren't your friends at all.  ;)

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal