collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Playset cleaning tips?  (Read 561 times)

Glitchie

• Trade Count: (0)
Playset cleaning tips?
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:35:22 PM »
Hi, Glitchie here.

I just found some playset pieces that were in storage for about 20+ years and was wondering how one would go about cleaning them as there are some that have/had stickers on them, and I was wondering on some, how to go about removing them, and on others, how to go about reattaching them. The playsets I found, for those of you who are curious, are the waterfall (will need some major rehab), Dream Castle, Show stable, and the Nursery. They will eventually be sold but right now I am just interested in the cleaning aspect, because the accessories that went with these sets have yet to be located and I want to get them as much together as possible before they go up for sale.

Glitchie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Playset cleaning tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 06:07:17 AM »
If you are going to sell them I would suggest not removing any of the stickers - most new owners will prefer the stickers to be in place and if they are slightly loose to fix it for themselves.

As for cleaning - it depends how serious the issues are. Personally I find baby wipes for a good surface clean and toothpaste with a bottle cleaner and baby toothbrush to get into any awkward locations or for slightly dirtier areas. Acetone can be used for any particularly stubborn marks and if a playset is yellowed then people do use HP cream - however this last option is very much a last option and only if you are confident in using it.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline UnicornTamer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Everypony needs Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Dreams
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:22:14 AM »
What's HP cream?

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 07:00:46 AM »
HP cream = Hydrogen peroxide cream.  I've read it's great for easing the yellow on some harder plastics (like playsets) but I've yet to try it myself.  (Though I've still got a very weirdly discoloured Pretty Parlour that I will try it on someday...)

Edit to add:  That said, I did sunfade that Pretty Parlour this summer (with the stickers all hidden up) and it did make a significant difference, especially on the door.  It's the walls that are still kind of greener than they were when new, and barring some really sunny days this winter (ha!), the cream is the way I'm considering going next (especially since Dusky was wonderful to sell me a lovely blue Parlour to replace the greened-out one of my childhood ^.^).  Will eventually get round to it. :blush:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:04:11 AM by Sugar.Lightning »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:24:41 AM »
Yes Hydrogen Peroxide cream - you ll get the quality of cream you need at a salon services/products store. But as mentioned only ever use it if you are old enough to buy it of course and if you are confident using quite an aggressive bleaching chemical.
Loa is my love god!

Glitchie

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »
Some of the stickers that are on the playsets don't belong there. They're just random stickers that I stuck on as a kid, its those I want to remove, while leaving the others. The playsets won't be sold for a while though as I still have to find the accessories to the playsets that are in another box somewhere.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:31:40 AM »
Acetone or goof off will remove the stickers if they dont belong :)
Loa is my love god!

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 10:54:05 AM »
If you want to save the stickers but remove them from the playsets then I would go with lighter fluid.  They'll slide right off and stay in tact. 

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »
If you want to save the stickers but remove them from the playsets then I would go with lighter fluid.  They'll slide right off and stay in tact. 

Oooh...cool tip! Does it not dissolve the ink in any way?
Loa is my love god!

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »

I can't imagine it would - it's what stamp collectors use to remove stamps from envelopes, etc.  If it doesn't harm a stamp it shouldn't harm a sticker.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline PhyllieBean

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 01:10:07 PM »
It should come off pretty clean.  I used to use it for removing address labels when I was a kid and going through a magazine collecting phase!  Lol!  The sticker will soak up the liquid a lot, but when it dried the image should be ok. 

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »

I can't imagine it would - it's what stamp collectors use to remove stamps from envelopes, etc.  If it doesn't harm a stamp it shouldn't harm a sticker.

Ahh! Cool...I ll remember that for playsets in the future! Thanks ladies.
Loa is my love god!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 01:39:54 PM »
If you're selling, a simple wipe with a microfiber cloth may me enough. Just moist enough to pick up dirt, but nearly dry so as to not damage the edges of any labels. Most of us have our own very specific methods for cleaning playsets and their parts. :) Even if a set is relatively clean when I buy it, I give it a detailed clean before I put it with my collection anyway.

Please don't use acetone on playset shells- it makes melt marks on the plastic. :)
As for stickers, if they are MLP stickers (like the round or scented ones packaged with early ponies) you'd be fine leaving them on, even if they are out of place.

Non-mlp stickers shouldn't be difficult to remove (using suggestions here) unless they were affixed to any paper labels- then I would leave them they are difficult to remove without damaging playset decals underneath.

Glitchie

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 05:13:57 AM »
Yeah, I think they're all MLP stickers.

Offline PhyllieBean

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »
If they are MLP stickers I'd say consider it a bonus!  Leaving them on will save you some trouble and then the buyer can do what they think is best if they want to salvage them. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal