collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Quick Question on supplies and weather  (Read 416 times)

Offline steffers29madds

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Quick Question on supplies and weather
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »
Hi all! I'm hoping that someone can help me. I moved recently into a house (my first, yeah!) and have been keeping all of my customizing supplies in the garage. It's getting pretty cold now where I live e.g. 30s at night. My garage is not heated. Is this going to be bad for my supplies. I have tons of paints and sculpting mediums out there. I would appreciate any advice from those who know more. Thanks so much!

Offline PaintedHooves

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dayna's Custom Ponies
Re: Quick Question on supplies and weather
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
Definitely get your paints out of there!  Acrylics get ruined when they freeze :(  I don't know about sculpting mediums though I would imagine it's a similar situation for those...

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:12:46 PM »
Well, I guess it depends on what it is and what it's stored in.  My "studio" is actually my screened in porch.  It has plexiglass windows that go up during the winter, but it still gets pretty cold out there.  I have my whole desk setup out there and all of my supplies are in cabinets or on top of the desk.  So far I haven't had anything really go wrong in the winter.  Mostly I have issues in the summer when it gets humid, but I haven't had to actually throw anything out.  And most of my problems are AFTER I use a product, because it takes so long to dry!  Lol!  My acrylics are the same consistency as they have always been.  My hair supply is totally normal.  Spray sealants work just fine still.  Airbrush still...airs?  You get the point.  If you have everything boxed, I have a feeling you'll be ok.  If you have some expensive supplies that you're particularly worried about I would store them separately inside just to ease your mind.  BTW, I live in NC and last winter was pretty mild (no snow) but we did get below freezing often.  Is it in the 30's every night where you are?  And what kind of paints do you have?  Most of mine are Liquitex and they held up like champs!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »
I can say that apoxie sculpt will be ok. The website has a FAQ that claims you can deliberately freeze or refrigerate it if you want.

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:27:35 AM »
Yep on the Apoxie!  Mine got a little of that ooze on it, but I think that's from the age, not the weather. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal