collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo anyone?  (Read 7416 times)

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo anyone?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 07:08:52 AM »
I've done the YWP the last two years. Made my goal of 30,000 words both times. Unfortunately November's very busy this year, so it's not going to work. I might use the month to edit last year's novel instead, because I would like to try to get it published some day. Crazy, I know, but I can dream :P
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 07:23:44 AM »
I like the fact that even if people aren't doing NaNo they are still using the time to do something creative writing-wise. It's really neat that it seems to have allowed people to make the time to write, in whatever form :)

Post Merge: October 28, 2012, 07:49:39 AM

Also, for anyone like me who needs to brain storm a little, can I recommend bubbl? Google it. 15 minutes ago I did not have a plot, now I have one. Thank you bubbl  :biggrin:

:panda:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:49:39 AM by Enolaalone »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »
I want to, but yet again im not prepared..and theres just too much going on right now to put my act together and try

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »
I don't think so this year. I've tried it a few times but always full flat in the first week. I don't think I've really got the motivation to write right now.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 12:21:22 PM »
:bump: not long to go now for those of us who are taking up the challenge!  :blink:

Offline puuush

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Customizing is my destiny
    • View Profile
    • etsy
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 04:22:34 AM »
Aaaaaand we're off! Go Go Go WRIIIIIIITE! :cheer:

wanted | etsy Avatar by AnnaPommes, signature by LunaCat. Thank you.

Offline Kanthaka

• Trade Count: (+342)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • Crafting Instagram
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
This is my second year!  I began a bit late last year because I had this ridiculously elaborate plot with equally elaborate character relationships and loads of "supernatural science" to build up, but I managed to hit 50,619 words on the 30th.  It wasn't good enough to share with anyone and I'm not sure if it's salvageable enough to bother editing; the experience was nice, though.  I almost never write because I get caught up in getting everything perfect (and inevitably rage-quitting when perfect doesn't happen).  Just writing without editing myself too much felt like a major accomplishment.

This year, I'm doing a sort of... guided free-writing. ;)  Even if it doesn't work better than the approach I tried last year, it should at least spark some ideas for other projects.

My username's Vedarling on the website, if anyone wants to be friends.  I just joined and haven't figured out how to do that yet. :blush:

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 10:12:23 AM »
This is my second year!  I began a bit late last year because I had this ridiculously elaborate plot with equally elaborate character relationships and loads of "supernatural science" to build up, but I managed to hit 50,619 words on the 30th.  It wasn't good enough to share with anyone and I'm not sure if it's salvageable enough to bother editing; the experience was nice, though.  I almost never write because I get caught up in getting everything perfect (and inevitably rage-quitting when perfect doesn't happen).  Just writing without editing myself too much felt like a major accomplishment.

This year, I'm doing a sort of... guided free-writing. ;)  Even if it doesn't work better than the approach I tried last year, it should at least spark some ideas for other projects.

My username's Vedarling on the website, if anyone wants to be friends.  I just joined and haven't figured out how to do that yet. :blush:

If you can figure out how to do it, I'm Enolaalone on there as well :)

I am doing similar to you with the guided free-writing thing. Well, I say that. So far I have opened Word. :lol: I must move away from the internet and get on with my first 1,667 words! Good luck all :biggrin:

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
I've got 1206 so far, but have been distracted by some custom ponies, the dishes, and I'm now getting ready to go out to work my horses.  I'm hoping to at least double what I have so far before the night is over. 

What I think is really funny is that usually I have a solid outline from beginning to end since like the beginning of October.  This year, I tried all through September and October to make an outline, and could only get about the first two or three chapters.  I started writing this morning and lo and behold, I've *already* gone off course!  Usually, my characters start running away with the story about 2/3 of the way through.  This year, it happened on the second page.  I guess that's what I get for having the outline so short to start with, huh?  Ah, well.  I've trusted my characters to take me to "The End" in the past, I suppose I should do it again.  They're all pretty decent kids ;)

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »
I have already found numerous distractions - the Arena, emails, cheese on toast, cooking dinner etc etc. I am on 1,077 words so far though, and I still have a couple of hours before I intend to be asleep so here's hoping I pass the 1,667 daily target!

Katika - my characters are kinda behaving so far, but I have gained a character I didn't know I was going to have. Where did you come from, little guy?! XD

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 02:42:42 PM »
I'm really tempted to go in, but I've barely finished my last novel which I started nearly 2 years ago.

I suppose I can think of one or two ideas, but only one would be sufficient for a 50k story.  For those who do participate every year, how long do you spend on writing your story per day?

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
1825 words written on day one! :cheer: time for bed!

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 04:01:53 PM »
Sora - I honestly doubted my ability to complete my first NaNo, but it really did help to have the support of thousands of other people, as well as that set goal ahead.  The biggest thing you have to do is not edit as you go, be willing to use the "not quite right" words instead of getting hung up on making it perfect the first go-around and just keep pushing ahead. 

Tricks I've used are circling words when I know they are just a stand in for something else I want to use later (or if I catch myself using the same word too frequently - I don't stop to find synonyms, but I do know that I want to fix it, come December!), using caps to denote names I haven't thought of yet (I write fantasy, so I have several Sir SURNAMEs running around my drafts ;)), and putting scenes that I'm not quite ready to write in parenthesis (It would be something like this: (Character A is going to go over to Character B's house.  I'm not really sure how it's going to start, but they are going to get into an argument that has to result in Character B leaving his own house)  That way, it still adds to the word count, but I don't have to sit and dwell on it and waste time worrying over it.  I can go back later, if I write that scene out of order, which I do quite often, or just revisit it when it's time to edit).

I write everything long hand first, which makes me have a bit of a slower word count than those that use a computer.  With my pen and paper, I usually can get my 1667 done in eh, an hour and a half, but if I'm able to concentrate with the computer screen and actually get going, I've been known to get my daily word count in about half an hour.  I guess it depends on how fast you type and how well you know where you're going with your story. 

I vote give it a go!  Even if you don't make 50k, at least you will have tried - and you'll have *some* part of a story started!  Think about all of the people out there that have stories in their head and don't even start!  Trying in itself is a huge step!!

*Edit to Add*  Also, even if you don't make the 1667 words per day, you can always catch up later.  Or, if you know you're going to be busy on a certain day, try to get ahead before hand.  I usually like to try to reach 10k around day 3, so I don't feel as pressured for the rest of the month, then on the days when I only get like 300 words done, I don't feel any kind of panic.  I've heard of people cranking out all 50k in a week.  *I* haven't done it (though my best day was just over 15k in one day, but that was with self-inflicted word wars through the bulk of the day), but I've seen it done.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:05:09 PM by Katika »

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 07:58:54 PM »
Ugh . . . long, exhausting day today, in a good way, but I haven't written a single novel related word yet today. I'm thinking if I get the file open and write some words, I'm gonna call it a good day.

It's great to see how well everyone's doing so far! Keep up the great work!

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 05:23:31 AM »
Ugh . . . long, exhausting day today, in a good way, but I haven't written a single novel related word yet today. I'm thinking if I get the file open and write some words, I'm gonna call it a good day.

It's great to see how well everyone's doing so far! Keep up the great work!

Just as long as you have something on the page, it's less daunting than a big empty space.

I'm actually really pleased! I hadn't written more than about a paragraph in 2 years before this, and I'm sat here with almost four pages! I didn't realise how much of a good feeling that is! :cheer:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal