collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Suspicious Ebay Seller Shygirl_2  (Read 1439 times)

claricesponies

• Trade Count: (0)
Suspicious Ebay Seller Shygirl_2
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
Hello,

Just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention this could be a possible scammer on Ebay. They want huge amounts of money for their ponies and say it's for catholic school tuition BUT you look at their other non pony listings the story doesn't add up. You can check it out yourself but giving you a heads up.

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Suspicious Ebay Seller Shygirl_2
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 05:41:01 PM »
 You mean school tuition accepts non pony blood money for admission? :lookround:

lol

- Anyway, I don't play into sob stories. If they were really trying to earn cash for school, they wouldn't be wasting listing fees for those grossly over priced ponies.  -_-
Avvie By Watercolors

claricesponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »
tuition for their 7 children to be exact....and those ponies are her "childhood" ponies so she sure had a lot of kids in a short amount of time..possible but unlikely :biggrin:

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »
I'll never believe the sob story's on eBay.

"I can't pay for this because my child's friends mom died and my money needs to go to her now..."

I do wonder if she sold off any of her ponies yet.

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
I don't really think it's a scam, more like someone severely overvaluing their ponies. They have sold a few too since they have dropped the price down on just about all of their ponies since initially listing them a while back. :awake:

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 12:46:20 AM »
Without looking up the actual rule, I know Ebay says it's not allowed to say that anything is for charity. I know this isn't the same thing but in my head it's a little similar. Not to mention, unprofessional. But as far as Ebay's rules, I don't know if they are breaking any. It wouldn't surprise me if sob stories are frowned upon.

Cupcakewishes - Good point. Plus, it's like, yeah usually when people sell things on Ebay it's for something right? I mean, I could say, "All cash from ponies sold will be going towards food and rent". Doesn't really mean anything.

But as was mentioned, the math doesn't really add up when you read the whole story. I guess it's possible but it's most likely stretching the truth. In any case, it's probably safe to buy but if someone is willing to be so dramatic to begin with would you want to?

Edit to say: Just noticed all their feedback is set to private. Yeah, that's comforting.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 12:48:04 AM by RockinPrettyBeats »

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:36:43 AM »
Oh man I get over the countless sob stories I have heard on ebay, especially for selling items at auction "can you sell me this for a buy it now price? My (insert family member or loved one here) is terminally ill and it is all they want in the whole wide world and YOU have it" sorry, but I call BS.

I mean, putting something in there along the lines of "Trying to raise funds for (whatever)" is totally fine, but don't make out that you are some sort of charity case. There are places out there for that sort of thing if you are seriously hard up. Strangers should not have to feel sorry for you and give you money for your overpriced toys.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 05:18:01 AM »
Hmmm..I don't necessarily think they are a scammer but they like to use sob stories that's for sure.  :huh:
This is taken from one of their listings for a Halloween figure.

UNFORTUNATELY WE HAVE TO SELL OFF ALL OUR BELOVED HALLOWEEN COLLECTION. WE HAVE HAD THE SCARIEST HALLOWEEN YARD IN OUR CITY AND HAVE EVEN BEEN ON THE NEWS AND RADIO. WE HAD A HOUSE FIRE THAT TOOK ALMOST EVERYTHING, EXCEPT WHAT WAS IN STORAGE. WE ARE NOW FACED WITH SOME VERY TOUGH DECISIONS IN OUR LIVES, EITHER TRY TO SELL OFF WHAT WE HAVE AND SAVE OUR HOME AND TRY TO REBUILD OR KEEP OUR BELONGINGS BUT NO HOME. THIS IS NOT A SOB STORY, ITS JUST A CIRCUMSTANCE THAT WE HAVE FOUND OURSELVES IN.

I personally feel by including sob stories of how BADLY you need the money is simply a turn-off to potential customers.  Sure, you will get a few who will fall for the sob story and buy something for more than they should, but, if you are trying to become a consistently strong seller on eBay, you have to consider that these sob stories will eventually become stale.  Other sellers will not buy from you, and believe it or not, most sellers are also buyers.  Why cut out a huge portion of your potential customer base? But everyone has their own tactics and although she is not breaking any rules for doing it, it is awfully tacky.

:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 06:53:34 AM »
Holy cow, I missed that one. I'm sorry but if you ask me that proves she is not being honest. She had a fire and has 7 kids that she is putting through catholic school? Wouldn't that be the first thing you would cut if you lost everything?

It's people who really push the limit that makes the rest of us have to succumb to ridiculous Ebay rules about how to list auctions. I wouldn't be surprised if things like this will be no longer allowed.

Oh yeah, and she sure can afford a lot of items for someone that "lost everything". Look at all those expensive items she has purchased! I think she meant to keep that private as well but got her settings wrong.

She also has one bid retraction.

I think that speaks volumes for her character. Much more than any feedback can.

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 07:33:09 AM »
"All profit goes to my ______ habit"  :cool: I don't care what you do with my money if you have something I want. I just avoid sob stories because it's almost always hand in hand with drama.

I'm too tired. Too old. Too busy with my life to worry about what's going on in some random stranger's life. If there's a chance I get involved with a drama queen/king, I'd rather just punch myself in the face and call it a day.  -_-

I usually buy from the same sellers on Ebay because it's quick and easy.
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »
I'll never believe the sob story's on eBay.

"I can't pay for this because my child's friends mom died and my money needs to go to her now..."

I do wonder if she sold off any of her ponies yet.
I recently had this. Well, a "death" in the family and they couldn't pay all of a sudden... but then there is feedback on the same day , or around the same day, that they bought from other people. u__u; I feel like I was fooled.

To be honest, we all sell on ebay to make money for something. I'd rather not know someone's personal story... it is a big turn off for me... mostly because I *am* a sucker, and I can't trust people... They would more likely get sales by being professional instead. D:

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 03:47:25 PM »
Private feedback I find a little concerning....

I saw some of those listings. A few that were relisted at lower starting prices have sold. Does the seller pay fees on unsold items? How does that work? I stopped selling on ebay in 06-07' ish so haven't kept up with the fee structure.

I'll say most people selling things they would have otherwise kept (childhood items or collections) are doing it for one important reason or another, weddings, new babies, bills, moving, since we all have people and events in our lives more important then our stuff. :) I don't mind a story being mentioned, but people trying to guilt me into purchasing items I don't want (more for people trying to sell you something in real life), or  using a sad story to get far above an items value because they need money is really offputting....  we all have life stuff to pay for.

I sold part of my collection once for vet money for a cat we adopted, I did mentioned that as being the reason for that sale.... but I wasn't asking for 2 to ten times an items value because of it, it was just as an explanation as to why I was dipping into, and selling parts of my personal collection vs. just duplicates I had kicking around. :)

Offline Gypsy

• Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+184)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • VNCToys.com
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 09:36:25 PM »
Wow, I had seen her auctions, but never opened any due to the high prices, hidden feedback shouldn't be allowed, and is very very suspecious to me, but I am suspecious of most of ebay LOL I probably won't bid now even if lower prices, we have no idea if people even getting what they pay for which would be my fear, and then a headache to dispute. :(

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 10:46:44 PM »
Wow, I had seen her auctions, but never opened any due to the high prices, hidden feedback shouldn't be allowed, and is very very suspecious to me, but I am suspecious of most of ebay LOL I probably won't bid now even if lower prices, we have no idea if people even getting what they pay for which would be my fear, and then a headache to dispute. :(

It shouldn't be allowed. It's stupid. No idea what the point of that is.

Offline RainbowWindy

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+315)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 07:37:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure about the whole Catholic school tuition thing anyways. In Alberta, Catholic schools are treated the same as public schools so no private school tuition rates. My son goes to a Catholic school and fees are not that high - $100 at most for things like textbook and locker rentals. I guess with 7 kids that would mean $700. But come on, you'd be crazy to spend $200 on a plain old Applejack - I'm tempted to send a $10 offer on that one just to see it get rejected. Ebay is just getting taken over by greed with crazy ridiculous prices for common ponies. It disgusts me.
EBay Sales ~~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal