collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: opinions on this dress!  (Read 965 times)

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
opinions on this dress!
« on: October 21, 2012, 09:25:01 AM »
I've made a bid on this and well, i like it..kinda, but what do you guys think?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

II'm not the most fasionable person, but i'm going to some fancy pants cocktail party, and I don't want to look weird. Is this something and older lady would wear? Is the print okay? I dunno.

I've been known to make terrible decisions in the past. help a gal look fabulous?

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
Re: opinions on this dress!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 09:26:44 AM »
I like it.  :)  I like color and unique patterns and this does not read old lady to me.  But it all depends on what it looks like on!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 09:38:26 AM »
I like the print.  I'm not too much of a dress person, but I think it'll be totally appropriate for your party with the right accessories and some great shoes.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

princeichi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 10:03:48 AM »
Honestly, the cut and pattern look like something my 66 year old grandmom wouldwas "cool" LOL.

More fashionable and modern cocktail dresses are more like this: http://indiedesign.typepad.com/modern_glam/WindowsLiveWriter/no2.jpg

looking around the Modcloth party dresses is a good idea of what is more in style now.

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/party-dresses

Look for classic detailing like ruffled hem, flattering ruching, a smocked waist, or simple gathers at waist.

The dress you posted looks kinda bag-like with a very outdated collar style. Depending on your age, and comfort, I'd say go for something like this: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/guest-host-glam-dress It's sexy and sophisticated, but not something that's too revealing!

Or like this:

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/have-it-all-dress

This dress is incredibly cute, has a modest collar, and a good length for a cocktail party. It'd look super cute with apple-red accessories and red patent flats (or pumps, wedges are also popular this season).

I hope this helps some!!

Knibitz

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »
With it being fall, I think a bright floral print like this may be out of place.

Modcloth that princeichi suggested caters to the 18-25 group with an interest in vintage fashion, and is more of a subculture of fashion moreso than anything standard.
If you wanted to look like you were at the forefront of fashion, then I'd push you that way, but if you're looking to just fit in with the crowd, then I'd suggest going a little more simple. The black guest host glam dress was rather excellent.

Every woman needs the staple "little black dress" so my fall back for dresses is always classic black, and then I can dress it anyway I want with different accessories. Simple silver or gold pieces for a sophisticated dinner, or big chunky neon for a night out with the girls.

Nordstrom has a wide range of dresses in their Little Black Dress feature, and looking over them, I'd suggest almost all of them.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-little-black-dresses?campaign=splashmain2
(I'm not saying buy from nordstrom because I realize the prices are high xD but just a general idea for cuts and styles :) )

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/suzi-chin-for-maggy-boutique-ruched-matte-jersey-dress/3396415?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Black&resultback=490  I think this dress would be lovely, though I understand it being possible a little low cut.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/suzi-chin-for-maggy-boutique-elbow-sleeve-faux-wrap-dress/3358908?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Black&resultback=1188 Wrap dresses are also a fantastic staple to have, and for it being a little colder the longer sleeves would be great.   o3o I also love that obi-esque belt
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:34:35 AM by Knibitz »

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »
With it being fall, I think a bright floral print like this may be out of place.

It's worth mentioning that the OP is in Australia, which is in spring right now.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Knibitz

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 10:42:21 AM »

It's worth mentioning that the OP is in Australia, which is in spring right now.

Herderp XD  *rolls around in my american bubble*
I was thinking about that as I was posting it xD dagnabit! *throws cards in the air*

Then YES!  I think the dress is loverly!
;) but black dresses are always lovely to have o3o 

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »
Also good to note that Australia fashion is much wilder and more varied than North American. I was there for a  few years and learned to wear what made me happy! If you feel good in it that's what counts!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:03:23 AM »
I was there for a  few years and learned to wear what made me happy! If you feel good in it that's what counts!

This. Completely.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline LunaDehligt

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • the fun has been doubled! :D I SO LOVE MY PERSONA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 11:04:23 AM »
It is neat  ^.^

princeichi

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 11:17:57 AM »
While I understand wanting to dress comfortably and for yourself, sometimes you need to push to look fashionable to give off a good impression. I always try to dress much nicer than I would usually when I meet strangers at parties, or potential co-workers. U vU You can dress as neat and clean cut as possible, but still give any outfit your own personal edge, which I think is really fun.

Cocktails parties are prime LBD settings, and I really like the dresses Knibitz posted! This is all also coming from a 20 year old art university student's perspective, and I have several close friends in the fashion industry/studying to enter it.

Fashions might differ in Australia and the US, but the LBD still holds strong! :D

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »
Are you pretty busty?  To me it looks like it would do well for a busty girl but might fall oddly on someone with less endowment.  I think the color scheme is good for spring.  My biggest concern with the actual design is I find (me personally) that this type of dress has a tenancy to accentual that fat part of your body where your arm and chest meet. Because it's a more square shape I often get a little pudge spill over at the underarm that makes me feel like my shoulders have a muffin top.  This could just be me.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 02:12:37 PM »
I think it also depends a great deal on how it looks in person.  I've picked out some clothes before that've looked exceedingly questionable on the hanger but pretty awesome on the person, you know?  Pair it with some crazy colored heels and some modern accessories and you'd do pretty well I think.
I'm not brave enough to buy things online.  I'm thoroughly convinced that clothes aren't actually made to fit anybody unless they're tailored. haha
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 02:23:38 PM »
Personally I could not wear that and look good if my life depended on it...but I look best in basic solid colors.

It's a cute dress, but I would worry about standing out in it at a cocktail party, unless there were other people who would be wearing lots of color too :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 05:10:37 PM »
It is so hard to give advice on something like this without seeing the dress on you.  Personally I think it looks a little on the mature side for design, but the vibrant pattern helps to keep it fun.  If you like the style then I say to go for it.  If you're having doubts then maybe keep looking for a bit to see what else is out there.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal