collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: why so much?  (Read 846 times)

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
why so much?
« on: October 21, 2012, 06:51:48 AM »
Hi all,
So whenever I see something for what I think is a lot of money I really want to know *why* it is so much. Pricing is still quite a scary world to me and in my quest for learning I figured someone here could shed some light on this for me.

So can someone explain to me why this is so much on eBay? This is the title for it (I can post that bit right?) so you can go and look it up if you like, it is still running until tomorrow I think.

"My Little Pony VINTAGE NSS UK/ EURO BABY BUTTONS- rare, htf, near mint!"

It's over £100 at the moment.

Thanks all ^_^

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
Re: why so much?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 06:55:54 AM »
Bidding war and uninformed buyers is my guess. I'm pretty sure Baby Buttons even one as nice as that one shouldn't run more than $50-$60...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline Skelletonimp

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.typicaltish.webs.com
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 07:16:15 AM »
Lol! That's way to much for Baby Buttons. She's pretty rare and popular, but she pops up so now and then, mostly for around $50

claricesponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 07:19:02 AM »
When something consistantly continues to bring a certain price, it becomes the new value of the item because that price is what people will pay. I am tired of hearing "Well, It only went for $25 back in 2008 so you should not pay more than that"

Also, Many times even informed collectors will pay higher prices for ponies they have been searching for.

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 07:40:48 AM »
When something consistantly continues to bring a certain price, it becomes the new value of the item because that price is what people will pay. I am tired of hearing "Well, It only went for $25 back in 2008 so you should not pay more than that"

Also, Many times even informed collectors will pay higher prices for ponies they have been searching for.

Agreed, we can have a guide price in mind. But I know people who have spent 6-10 times more than a ponys worth just to get it if its hard to find.

On eBay ponies always sell for a higher price anyway.

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline PitterPatter

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »

I appreciate that people pay their own values for things, especially if it is something they have been searching for. But when I see things that are very high I like to ask those who are more informed that me whether this is something usual or not.

Having only been collecting for a short space of time I do not know whether something is genuinely rare and thus always of a higher price, or if it is just because there are people involved in their own bidding war. Over £100 seems like a lot to me, as I am still very much collecting common/average ponies, but one day I may want something a little more special and it's good to know the collective opinion as it will help me, and perhaps others, make informed decisions in the future. That's the reason I ask....

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 08:27:46 AM »
Wow that's a lot for her! :shocked: I just checked, one of her sold on the 13th for around £40 BIN.  I do think the price can go crazy on Ebay if people get into a bidding war, but I would still say you sould be able to get her for much less. Perhaps check if anyone on the arena has one for sale.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:14:14 AM »
a pony is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it :)

Personally, I would not pay more than $60 for her.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline PitterPatter

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »
I don't want one... well not now anyway. But I just get curious about high prices. I know ebay is a bit crazy but it's things like the title saying "rare" I wouldn't know, at the moment, if it was or wasn't. And whether that "rare" title affects its

I myself have paid what I consider a crazy amount for something, so I know it is very much down to the individual and I'm not questioning personal bugets, but as a new collector it's hard to know if it is just two people going nuts as they both want it, or if it is often something that can be expected to go for that price. Does that make sense?

I dunno, I don't want to frustrate people by asking these sorts of questions, but it really does help me learn about ponies, price guides, rare-ness etc.

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 10:53:35 AM »
Sometimes it's a new price, but if you've been watching prices and it seems too high, it's more likely a bidding-war gone too far.  If you're not willing to pay so much, keep waiting and watching and hopefully you'll find one at your price!

A few years back, I got a  mip pony for cheap, but it turned out that someone had found a ton of them so the price of the pony came down as they slowly flooded the market. I'm still happy with my price though and very happy with the pony. At the same time, I was after a dolly, and didn't want to pay more than $50 as that was the price (and it seems a lot for a tiny doll) however, the SAME person bought ALL of them for $60 and now when I see them, they're all for $100-$250, CRAZY but all thanks to supply & demand, due to someone strategically hording... I doubt I'll ever get that doll and wish I had bit $10-$15 higher back when I had a chance... ebay is a funny place.

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 10:59:21 AM »
It's not frustrating to us at all! :hug: Everyone has to start out somewhere, and chances are that you're not the only one who's wondering :) We're always happy to help answer questions. If you're curious about the value of a pony, feel free to make a 'PC' or 'Price Check' thread :good:

As for bidding wars, you can usually tell by clicking on the bid history on an item. If someone is just spamming bids, or two people just keep trying to outbid each other, then I consider it a bidding war and take that into consideration when I see the final value. You can also check the completed listings on ebay to see if it's a 1-time thing, or if all of them are ending at X price :awake:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »
Please feel free to ask us any questions about value or pricing or Ebay behavior - it's one of the most popular types of discussions around here.  :D  We are not like many collectors' communities where it is "bad form" to talk about prices.  ;) 

As for your question, likely it's a bidding war.  Sometimes people feel they MUST have THAT pony and will go to great financial lengths to get it.  If they have been searching for a NSS B. Buttons for awhile they're likely to pay more for it.  Also we are leading into Crazy Price Time on Ebay (holidays, everyone!  stop shopping for yourselves and overspending!). 

As a newbie, though, PLEASE repeat this over and over to yourself until it's a mantra:
There will always be another one.  I don't have to pay this price.  Ponies are not like Highlander.

This rule will always apply... until you get into collecting MLP from other countries (UK and Euro don't count).  Or you start trying to collect G1 OOAK prototypes.  They made MILLIONS of each of these brushable plastic horses, don't forget!   There are probably hundreds of thousands of NSS B. Buttons in the UK, just waiting to be acquired for a reasonable price.  :-p
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »
As a newbie, though, PLEASE repeat this over and over to yourself until it's a mantra:
There will always be another one.  I don't have to pay this price.  Ponies are not like Highlander.

Good advice, I spent WAY too much on Chief due to getting into a bidding war when I was new. Most ponies will come up soon at a better price, stay far far away from bidding wars!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 01:43:49 PM »
As others have said the simple solution is to ask :) No matter how long we are all collecting we are all still learning and because vintage ponies don't have a set price, prices are always changing. So if you don't know the kind of price you should be paying or are unsure if that "rare, hard to find" pony on ebay really is rare and hard to find, threads like this are your best way to find out.

But always remember that a pony's "worth" is what someone is willing to pay at the time - so one price can seem high to someone and reasonable to another. Its all about judging what you are comfortable with.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal