collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tips on freelance contracts?  (Read 486 times)

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
Tips on freelance contracts?
« on: October 20, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »
EDIT! By the way, I'm a freelance animator xD So yes, it's a complicated thing.

Any tips? I'm writting a contract now and I wanted to know how you guys work with the payment. Do you get some income upfront before starting? Do you get paid by stages as you complete the project?

I just wanted to know from your experiences what works and what doesn't :)

Thanks ! :D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:45:35 PM by TheDarkWithin »

Offline MoonHawke

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Gaming is Magic
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on freelance contracts?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 12:16:19 PM »
I have not done any ponies yet, but I have done commissions with my chainmaille jewelry.

When I get a commission, especially for something I don't normally work on like bags, I figure out the cost of supplies that I'm going to need for the project. I tend to use this as a base for how much I'm going to charge someone for the completed project (usually 2x the cost of supplies). I ask for half the cost upfront, to cover the cost of the supplies, and then the other half when I've completed the project. I find this works fairly well, so I'm not shelling out a bunch of money on supplies.

For ponies that I've commissioned, I've had one that asked for a retainer of $25 and one asked for the entire cost up front.

I think it depends on what you feel comfortable with, and what works best for you. If you're willing to make the effort to sell a commission to someone else if the buyer backs out, then go for a partial payment upfront. If you don't want to deal with the hassle, then ask for the entire cost.

Hope this helps!
Wishlist: Cherry Blossom :heart: Fairy Dust

Miserati

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »
I think it would depend on what you're doing as well. I usually ask for half up front or cost of supplies up front. However, if the subject is something personal like a persona, personal character or an item where you are painting a name on something I would probably want the majority up front because that kind of item would be harder to sell in case the original commissioner backs out.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 12:31:11 PM »
My housemate is a motion graphics animator, and his standard contract states that he requires an initial payment if the project is over a certain work hour/dollar amount.  The rest comes upon completion.  He's also included a clause guarding him against late payment, stating that if they're x amount of days past invoice, he starts charging penalties on the remaining balance.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 12:44:45 PM »
My housemate is a motion graphics animator, and his standard contract states that he requires an initial payment if the project is over a certain work hour/dollar amount.  The rest comes upon completion.  He's also included a clause guarding him against late payment, stating that if they're x amount of days past invoice, he starts charging penalties on the remaining balance.

Oh, that's well thought ! Thanks for sharing !

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 08:14:17 PM »
I have no clue! But best of luck!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 08:59:06 PM »
I'm a freelance illustrator, and I require part of the money upfront, the rest on completion.  In my contract I allow for three revisions in the drawing phase - any beyond that requires an additional fee, and if there are any changes made once I start painting, that's an additional fee as well.

I don't know if that helps or not.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 01:00:34 AM »
I'm a freelance audio engineer and photographer. First thing I do is have people sign a legally binding contract that details ALL the rates, for everything, every last thing that they're getting and that they'll be billed for is listed on there. I mean EVERYTHING, top to bottom, I don't miss out on anything. I put my fees for making a DDP on there, most people don't know what a DDP is, but if it's in the contract they sign and they don't know what it is, they can ask 'what's a DDP and why am I getting charged for it?'. Helps out a lot to have that upfront rather than later when people might go 'I didn't ask for this and I'm not paying for it'.

If you don't have any experience writing contracts, go to a lawyer, it'll cost ya money, but if your business is your bread and butter, it's worth it. I had experience writing contracts, but before my business became my full time job last year (it isn't this year), I went to an entertainment lawyer, and had him go over my standard contract and make some changes. A lot of changes.

I can't do rates up front, because I bill for miles (if I'm on location), load in and load out fees if I'm going to be working on site (I didn't bill for load in and load out on my first gig, but after I lugged enough audio gear up and down two flights of stairs to record a five piece band live off the floor, I decided that if I'm going to do that, I'm getting paid for it). When I'm working in studio, or on-site, my hourly rates are different than if I'm at home doing a mix. These rates change based on who I'm recording, too. If a four piece band is paying for a record with wages they make working second shift at Home Depot and I know they can't afford to spend a lot, my rates will change. If you call me in Ohio to work with a big name blues producer and a fairly well known blues band and tell me to go two states south this Tuesday (this happened last year), I'm gonna screw you to the wall. If I know the band or act has cash behind them, I'm going to take as much of it as I can, that's business. If you want to be successful and do your business full time, you should do the same.

Get a good contract. Have a lawyer look at it. If you're a professional and want to be treated as a professional, you need a good contract.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:02:25 AM by DoctorMowinckel »

I have a blag about ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal