collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Creepy BBE ponies and eye replacement.  (Read 370 times)

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
Creepy BBE ponies and eye replacement.
« on: October 15, 2012, 05:57:52 AM »
Creepy, yes.  :lol: I had two that had terrible eye mech rust and no amount of cleaning would work. I plucked out their eyes and I wanted to replace them with tiny glass ones. My issue is with baby Sundance...

She seems to be made of a more harder material than the rest of my ponies. Like she was made of hard plastic like action figures. Getting her eyes out was a terrible awful mess. Can pony get stale/stiff or get harder over time? Sorry, having a hard time describing what is with my Sundance... lol
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Creepy BBE ponies and eye replacement.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 08:05:08 AM »
Yes this can happen it's a specific kind of plastic damage called 'plasticizer loss'. The plasticizer leaks out of the pony making it sticky and dirty feeling.  Then once all the plasticizer is gone the pony is hard and not flexible anymore.  Pretty common flaw I think.  Not contagious and won't actually hurt anything. 
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 02:27:19 PM »
Thanks! I was wondering what this issue was called. Thankfully, it's pretty much the only flaw as far as this pony is concerned.

As to not spam the board, the second pony has tiny gouges all over her body, all the size of pin heads.I was going to try boiling her to see if these pin prick holes will sort of work themselves out. If not, I got Sculpey III and hopefully a hot water set will help the clay harden without baking it.
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:48:20 AM »
That's probably pin dot.  You can get rid of the black, but not the holes.  Soaking the pony in Oxyclean (it can take several days if it's bad enough) will get rid of the black.  If you are planning on painting over the holes, it will require a lot more coats of paint and even then isn't guaranteed to smooth out.  G1 baits are tricky!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal