collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I think I'm losing heat on the G4s...  (Read 8969 times)

Offline MrPony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I think I'm losing heat on the G4s...
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 12:53:26 PM »
 I am sick of going to TRU or Walmart and having 20+ empty blind bags on the shelf? I never saw that with previous pony generations. I think the issue with people burning soo hot for something so fast is they just burn out. About the main six reissues OMG! To get the new Luna I have to get another Rarity! I have at least 10!!! She should be renamed Common and her cutie mark should be changed to her re-release number Common #29.

Also I kinda liked being that guy that collects ponies. Now i`m just lumped in with brony thing. I was ready to scream when I was buying a shirt at hot topic and the girl said "Oh your a brony, I think it`s awesome that boy`s can like ponies now" Like it was against the law before? It makes me not want to buy anything G4 just to separate myself... If only they weren't soo cute! 

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »
Like strawberries in the sea?  And pepper berries? 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »
I've gotten tired of collecting G4s too.  Like others have mentioned, the lack of poses.  Also, the lack of availability--it seems like most of the really cool stuff is released as a Target exclusive, which we don't have here.  So I haven't been able to get a Luna yet.  So frustrating!  And the newest releases of characters from the show are so expensive.  I mean $17 for a 3-inch Zecora?!  And $50 for the pack with Nightmare Moon!!!  And the Bore 6...rereleases over and over again.  Not only that, but most of the accessories they come with, are just rereleases of stuff that was used with the Ponyville line.

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »
I do believe that the whole merch thing is actually making Hasbro a lot more money than the toys themselves. To make the merch, Hasbro doesn't have to produce anything and yet they're making money through all the license fees and stuff. It's like free gold for them!

Thing is we don't get much pony merch on this side of the world and on top of that, seems like every merch out there has a Rainbow Dash on it. She's really overkill for me. She does have an amiable boyish character, but shoving her in the face with every merch is really pushing it. I would have personally liked a t-shirt with Twilight Sparkle with the word GEEK or NERD slapped on top. :D Oh well, I'm not a big merch fan either so while I'm glad Hasbro is making money on them, it doesn't really affect me positively in anyway.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
I am sick of going to TRU or Walmart and having 20+ empty blind bags on the shelf? I never saw that with previous pony generations. I think the issue with people burning soo hot for something so fast is they just burn out. About the main six reissues OMG! To get the new Luna I have to get another Rarity! I have at least 10!!! She should be renamed Common and her cutie mark should be changed to her re-release number Common #29.

Also I kinda liked being that guy that collects ponies. Now i`m just lumped in with brony thing. I was ready to scream when I was buying a shirt at hot topic and the girl said "Oh your a brony, I think it`s awesome that boy`s can like ponies now" Like it was against the law before? It makes me not want to buy anything G4 just to separate myself... If only they weren't soo cute!

Argh argh argh this! Before FiM I was a pony collector, now I'm a statistic with bad stigma thanks to errant wingnuts in the fandom, and people assume I'm some kind of furry to boot (NB: furries are fine, their popular representation, and thus the one I get stuck with, is not).

Personally the fun has been sucked out of the G4s by the burning-too-fast crowd, the high money, the buying off taobao (which undermines Hasbro and thus makes them less likely to ship to small retailers, i.e. the guys where I live).. etc. Blind Bags made it here, and luckily I saw no theft occurrences, but episodes like that, and the general scamming, make me so put off.

I still like G4s, but... the fun is gone. I will watch the cartoon and pick up what I can if I can be motivated to do so.

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
I love the brushables.  They are a nice size, have pretty hair, and could be very collectible.  However, they need more variety!  I don't want them to go crazy and send out too many, but I want a guarantee that with each release there are at least 3-4 new ones to go with the main six.

This! I would much rather there were regular waves of 3-4 new characters with *occasional* re-releases of the mane 6. Rather than the other way around like it is now.  -_-  As a kid I would've liked having the main characters around fairly consistently, yes, but I still would've wanted the focus to be on NEW characters. Every time I go looking for ponies it's always mane 6, and I haven't even been collecting G4s for very long and I'm already tired of that...

I just want more new brushables, Hasbro! You can keep making all the other stuff like blind bags too, just add more brushable characters! I would buy them aaaaall! Please! *sob*  :cry:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
I am actually excited by the G4 line- I love the brushables and FS size ponies - and the ponies in between (princess ponies?)

But I too really really wish they would make a LOT MORE of them- and different sizes and poses- that would be a lot more fun.

G4s got me back into liking ponies.  I collected G1s like crazy in and around the early 2000s- but got bored with them- put them away and sold off a bunch.  G2s didn't really ever catch my interest but G3s did- but there were so many that I couldn't possibly collect them ALL so I tried to stick to a few that I loved-  it seemed like they were getting better and better until they suddenly got really boring and then the G 3.5s came along and I really did not care for the new design...

Finally G4s came along and I hated them at first because they look nothing like ponies- and I wanted ponies!   But after a while they grew on me and I realized they were cute.  I also watched the show which was super cute!  Now I hope they come out with some new cool stuff-  I actually love those new vinyl figures- but I really really would love some new FS ponies and brushables - particularly in new molds/poses- and particularly new characters.

I am also sick of the re-releases- I love Rainbow Dash because I love Rainbows- but I don't need an entire bucket of them!!! 

Offline Ice_gypsy

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »
those multiple same ponies work to be customized though... but yeah they really need to make more different ponies and less of the mane 6.. sure they are trying to cater to the people who are like OMG i must get the mane 6 but they could re-release them a little less often... *cough* Hasbro needs to hire someone who knows what people will want pony wise

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 02:45:23 PM »
Bleh, I lost interest long ago. It's all blind bags and trading cards now. You have to give Hasbro credit for convincing people to drop hundreds of dollars on cardstock, though. :P

I'm starting to be more interested in the G1s, though! So many pretty colour combinations... @_@

QueenGusty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »
now I'm a statistic with bad stigma thanks to errant wingnuts in the fandom

What have the winged unicorns doen now? (sorry, sorry, pet name for WUs is wingnuts XD)

Whats killing me is the really cool stuff is not being released here. I WANT NIGHTMARE MOON. Also yes, the lack of poses...I mean geez. G3 by its second year had what...NINE at least different poses?

The playsets are another big grr with me...so flat, so uninspiring. The G4s also have seams on heir legs/chest which G3s never had-this is something tat seemd to start happening with G3.5..whats up with that Hasbro?

Also, one more thng the price...I'm pretty sure that even when I was a child, my momma could go and get an average G1 for 5 quid. Nowadays...compare the sizes of the G3s and G4s...I'm paying the same price I did eight years ago for a pony HALF THE SIZE.

The G4s are just lucky that seeing them makes me go "omgssocutemusthaveitNOW"

Carrie

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »
Joining in on the growing G4 boredom.
There are just so many re-releases. And you know, i can deal with the idea that the show characters need to be in stores at all times. But the way Hasbro deals with it is so lazy and so cheap. Having to re-release a character doesn't mean you have to keep releasing it in the same pose over and over. Neither does it mean you have to slap a main character in every set out there.

In a way, G4 is actually worse than core 7 G3. Core 7 G3 at least changed up the cutie marks in every new wave. These days one has to be happy if they used some glitter or tinsel. That's actually kind of sad when you think about it.
Not to mention that the line is now a couple of years old and we still are stuck with that same old pose from the start. It's not hard to get bored.

And yeah, there is a lot of merch...but to be honest i don't see why it is that much better than the merch of previous gens. Every gen has had spin off products. And some of those spin off products were better than the current ones. Just compare those blindbag ponies to the whole Ponyville toyline and the amazing playsets it had. The only difference is that there are some more products aimed at adults. But just like i don't need 20 Pinkie Pie toys, i don't need 20 Pinkie Pie T-shirts. Right now i'm only really looking forward to those Funko figures. I prefer brushable manes but at least those Funko figures are something new.
I'm also slowly giving up on blindbag ponies. They are a pain to track down and are often overpriced.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
Yes, G3 had nine different poses its first year!

Lack of new brushable poses is my number one frustration.  Especially when they made like fifteen animal friends in unique poses.  REALLY?

Also, one more thng the price...I'm pretty sure that even when I was a child, my momma could go and get an average G1 for 5 quid. Nowadays...compare the sizes of the G3s and G4s...I'm paying the same price I did eight years ago for a pony HALF THE SIZE.

Yes, but in 1983 $5 was worth what $10 is today, thanks to inflation.

I actually wish Hasbro would bite the bullet, charge $1 or $2 more per pony, and ramp up quality control.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:52:23 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
Re: I think I\'m losing heat on the G4s...
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
yes il press the 'im Bored' too button :huh: its all very disappointing and losing me, the last thing i bought from the shops was the granny smith 3 pack and haven't gone back for more, iv pretty much stopped stalking the shops now cos im so sick of seeing either nothing new or the main 6 over and over.
i had about 10 blind bags on my ebay watchlist to bid on and gave up and deleted them all the other day, its too exhausting and becoming a chore, its also hard if you don't have bucket loads of cash to get everything of line because a lot of the weird inconsistency of the toy line in shops over the world  :cry:

Argh argh argh this! Before FiM I was a pony collector, now I'm a statistic with bad stigma thanks to errant wingnuts in the fandom, and people assume I'm some kind of furry to boot (NB: furries are fine, their popular representation, and thus the one I get stuck with, is not).

Personally the fun has been sucked out of the G4s by the burning-too-fast crowd, the high money, the buying off taobao (which undermines Hasbro and thus makes them less likely to ship to small retailers, i.e. the guys where I live).. etc. Blind Bags made it here, and luckily I saw no theft occurrences, but episodes like that, and the general scamming, make me so put off.

I still like G4s, but... the fun is gone. I will watch the cartoon and pick up what I can if I can be motivated to do so.
:hug: that must be pretty frustrating
i was just thinking about all the guy mlp fans that were around WAAYYY before FiM, i dont see much of them anymore  :( hope it doesn't put you of completely sweetys  :)
LOL to rarity's name to Common # 29  :lol: awesome

Post Merge: October 12, 2012, 03:57:52 PM

and il like to add; my son and daughter have about 3 each of the main 6 in their toy box
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:57:52 PM by dede88 »

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline scarlettkitty81

• Trade Count: (+275)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
I love the G4 line but I agree as well that Hasbro needs to come up with new poses and quit rereleasing the mane 6 over and over. You can't even get the new blind bags without getting the mane 6 in each box :( I would also like to see cutie marks on the babies which we need more of and boys are always fun but I am not a fan of the fluffy ratty looking hair on Shining Armor.

I grew up in the 80's so G1's will always be my favorite. I am not sure what Hasbro was thinking with G2's and G3.5's. They got back on track with G3's which had many poses, colors ect. Not sure why they are not pumping out the G4's.

I think it would be awesome if they made a :muffin: Pony in the smaller size and possibly recreated some of the G3's in smaller sizes in G4 molds or even G1's. It's not like they don't have any options!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 04:10:29 PM »
sorry another thing to add is the cheapness of the ponies and playsets is really gross, iv sold half of my playsets and gave the other half to my kids to play with, as mentioned they are very flat. and im so sick of all the flaws they have also.
hasbro must be making heaps of money cos their toys are sooooooooooo cheaply made now and still selling well cos people are use to it but looking at how the ponies use to be made is quite sad

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:12:55 PM by dede88 »

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal