collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Were you a monster lover before Monster High?  (Read 3440 times)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Re: Were you a monster lover before Monster High?
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »
Wow nessa, you're hardcore!

Hmm...monster cartoon. Hopefully someone will have a clue!

:lol: Why thank you  :lol:  You should see me when I find ponies  :newpony:

As to the cartoon, it is just a random scene and I wish I could remember more.  I was fairly young when I watched it.  Maybe someone will know.  For a bit I thought it was Beetlejuice but I don't think so.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2012, 09:02:18 PM »
I'm an enormous phantom of the opera fan. I have the original novel, spin offs, movies of all sorts, I just adored it. I also adore the book Frankenstein! Well, I held out on Monster high until I saw....Operetta...and I got her I was hooked ^^

Offline amenoo

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2012, 03:36:30 AM »
Oh well where do we start...

The first monster love must be Scooby-Doo yes. I loved Scooby Doo and everything around them :D

When my brother was like 10 years old he was a member of the Monster Club, so he had binders full of monster information. I was 7 then and I loved to read about the Fantasy, mythology and Fairytail monsters. My favourite monster then was the Manticore and the one that scared me the most was Boogie Man. Wish we had kept these binders...

Since, I haven't been a big fan of the classical monsters like Frankenstein and Dracula. But I am SO in love with mythological creatures and monsters. I also like Tim Burtons styled monsters and such.

Adoptable made by me

Burgundy_Rose

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2012, 07:53:27 AM »
Does anyone remember a cartoon from the 90s that features teen monsters or something?  I used to watch such a cartoon and all I can remember is them going to the beach and being driven there in a bus that looked like a hearse.

Was it Gravedale High? That was definitely early 90s but I only remember it vaguely myself as I was pretty young when it was on TV.

I've always loved monsters, especially those in Greek mythology (Clash of the Titans is one of my favourite movies and the stop-motion Medusa still gives me the creeps!) Apparently I was so obsessed with skeletons as a kid my dad couldn't take me to CD shops without me looking for Iron Maiden ones because I though Eddie the Head looked cool. Unsurprisingly I have always been a fan of Tim Burton movies and Nightmare Before Christmas remains my favourite.

I've also watched an insane amount of zombie films over my life time and have surpassed my usual zombie-related craziness by recently participating in this event:
http://2.8hourslater.com/

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2012, 08:15:15 AM »
I like monsters quite a bit, but I never liked zombies.  So these dolls are perfect because they are not gruesome and gory like a zombie, but they are still pretty and eerie.  I love things that are eerie. 

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2012, 08:31:12 AM »
I like monsters quite a bit, but I never liked zombies.  So these dolls are perfect because they are not gruesome and gory like a zombie, but they are still pretty and eerie.  I love things that are eerie. 

Totally agree. I think the idea of gorgeous, fashion-loving monsters is pure genius.

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2012, 07:51:03 PM »
I've never been one for scary anything. I am such a wimp!! I watched a Frankenstein movie the other day on BBC, and I'm still a little weirded out..... Gore and scary just don't go well with me. I'm in agreement with the
these dolls are perfect because they are not gruesome and gory like a zombie, but they are still pretty...

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
I never liked scary movies but I love monsters! Dragons were always my favorite that's why I had to have the CAM dragon. And Gargoyles ( so I snatched Rochelle naturaly) I loved the Disney Gargoyles show when it was on.

And minotaurs! I still want a monster high minotaur doll I might have to just make one for my self. I played a minotaur warrior back when I played D and D  :lovey:  I loved playing Azalee so much fun.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2012, 06:33:28 PM »
I've always been a monster lover! One of me best friends and I have been hoarding vampire books together since we were 12, and we'd go to the video store together at least once a week and check out another scary movie :)

It hasn't stopped - I currently write a comic series with another of my best friends called Ranunculus: The Monstrous Brigade. Right now it stars a Vampire and a Werewolf (and queen victoria) but soon there will be a whole band of monsters coming together - to fight zombies, of course!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »
I loved the Disney Gargoyles show when it was on.

That really was an awesome show.  I was sad when it was over.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
Probably my favorite monster of all time would have to be the werewolf. I've been trying to find some good werewolf books but no luck yet. Actually, I'm in search of any great monster material no matter who it's starring. Do you guys have any recommendations? Books, movies, graphic novels, etc.

I look forward to this discussion on monsters! Tell me about your feelings on monsters growing up, your feelings now, and your favorite monster stuff besides monster high!

When I was a kid I was very into myths and mythology. Especially Ancient Greek and Nordic.
Nowadays this has shifted to Ancient Egyptian mythology (along with an interest in the culture itself) and the more darker aspects of fairy tales, including monsters and creatures ^^

I got into Monster High because of ponies.
When I started collecting MLP again, I discovered the MH part of the Arena and was in love!
I've never cared much for dolls and fashion dolls, but MH had this clever design and great monster characters, so I knew I had to buy some :biggrin:

My favorite monster is probably the werewolf as well! I'm very partial to them because I like the aspect of willingly putting a curse on yourself (the "original" werewolf myths used to be about men dealing with Satan and receiving a magical wolf hide that would turn them into a big, monstrous wolf. Also they couldn't transfer the curse, that's an invention of Hollywood).
I'm a dog person, so I also just plain love the idea of a huge, fluffy, nasty wolf beast *g*

I'm not much of a fiction reader. I prefer to write my own stories, but I really liked the book "Blood and Chocolate" (the movie is horrible, though).
It focuses a lot on the werewolf clan and their customs and distances itself from the typical Hollywood werewolf gore without going too much into Twilight territory. It also features good female characters and isn't full of sexism.
It is therefore a good alternative for people who like the ideas of modern werewolves, but loathe the Twilight crap.

As for movies, I can highly recommend the "Ginger Snaps" trilogy, even though GS has a lot of gore. But the movies are very original and interesting. Especially since they focus on two teenage sisters and treat their characters very seriously without getting too complicated (I also love the macabre humor of this series).
Another good werewolf movie that mixes gore and tragedy with a bit of humor is of course the classic "An American Werewolf in London".
Finally, my third favorite werewolf movie is "The Company of Wolves" (I can also recommend the book).
It's a compilation of dark "fairy tales for adults". The highlight is the interpretation of the original French version of Little Red Riding Hood that has the (were)wolf lust after Little Red and trying to seduce her (also to kill her).
It has the  in my opinion - most disturbing and equally most beautiful werewolf transformation I've ever seen on screen with the wolf literally bursting out of the human costume.

So yeah, I hope you are able to enjoy my recs ^^
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:32:21 PM by Zapper »

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »
I sure was. :)
As a child I was OBSESSED with Aahhh!Real Monsters, Beetlejuice and Japanese Kaiju-Movies. Also my mom used to read me stories of Greek mythology as bedtime-stories and I drew a lot of pictures of Medusa and Helios in kindergarten, scaring the other kids. ^-^
I also enjoyed watching the Addams Family and several other old Monster Movies.
Animals and Creatures with multiple eyes and limbs are still my favorite thing to draw and one of my other collections is Japanese Kaiju toys.
As my design MA I am currently doing a project about mythological creatures and monsters from all over the world.. So yeah, I LOVE monsters. Haha.. :D

On the other hand.. I hated dolls with a passion. :E
As a child I'd decapitate gifted Barbies or burry them in the sandbox or do other mean things to them.. :C ..they just always seemed so boring to me. Plain ol' humans.. Blegh. xD

So when Mattel announced MH I was pretty hyped. Such a sweet idea! Combining Monsters and gore with Fashion and cute! ..as a child I would have been all over them for sure! :>
And I agree! It's a huge step forward for girls toys and commercial toy design alike! :heart:

My favorite monsters have always been gorgons, frankenstein, ghosts and Kaiju. ..not so fond of vampires but... They're ok too,  I guess. ;>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal