collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Stories of people being rude about MLP  (Read 4680 times)

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Stories of people being rude about MLP
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »
Isn't it sort of an unwritten rule of customer service that you don't discuss someone's purchases with other customers? I mean, if I had to buy a big ol' tube of Vagisil or something from WalMart, I certainly wouldn't want the cashier blabbing about it to the other people in line.

Besides your comment making me grin, yes, that's a pretty big common sense rule right there! I can see people at a small comic shop who feel so elitist making comments, but I don't get it with the people at Toys R Us who were asking some of you guys if you were buying them for a present. Although, it's possible they think they're doing you a favor. Like, if they pretend they think it's a birthday gift for a little girl, it gives you a way out, just in case you feel embarrassed. And maybe the person at the comic store wasn't being rude because it's ponies, but because MLP is, in most parts of the internet, a meme and a fad, and s/he (I forget who made the comment!) thinks that MLP is far below whatever s/he reads in the comic pecking order. Still rude, obviously. I mean, wait until the customer is out the door, people! *disgusted*

The most important thing is to be cool about it. Be the person who says "Yeah, I buy ponies." Or you could say something like, "Heh heh, yeah, I know, but hey, I love 'em!" in the way that suggests 'I know I should be embarrassed and I'm acting that way to be polite, but really I am not.'  Basically, if you take pride in who you are, people respect you for it. If you act ashamed, it makes people continue to think you have something to be ashamed of. The more people act cool/ take pride in being different, the sooner it will be until people stop mocking difference.  They start to feel "Hey, I may not agree with that person, but I can dig him/her."  Even if they still think less of your interest, owning up to it and showing no embarrassment is guaranteed to shut them up.  The worst that could happen is they continue to mock you when you leave their vision, which they would have done anyway. THis way, you can at least be proud of yourself for standing up for yourself and defending the thing you love.
  It's tempting to want to explain yourself, or explain why MLP is so popular these days, but people don't tend to respond to well to someone trying to educate them about something they dislike. Just stick with owning up to it at first, I'd say.
  (And I know it's easy for me to say "be cool" but way harder to do in real life. Trust me, I know how hard it is. Sometimes you have to channel your inner actor, and just pretend you're someone else for a minute!)
I'll put something here some time

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »
I just wish people would not judge someone cause of were they are at in a store. How they are dress and what color there hair is. My family does not really say much about the ponies. They think they are all for my daughter. When I say " No I wanted it and bought it for me." They look at me funny. I do not care, but it does hurt alittle bit.  My hunny is the same way. I just wish they would accept it and maybe be a part of it............   Oh well that is why I am on this site to share with you all :)  And I just found out today I have a friend on facebook that collects ponies to :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
I think the reason they ask if it's a birthday gift is to find out if you need a gift receipt--a receipt that doesn't have the price on it, which you can include in case the recipient wants to return it, but without being like "Look, I spent THIS MUCH on you!"

But yeah, it's ridiculous for cashiers, especially ones at Toys R Us, to mock someone for buying toys.  O__o
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »
They are collectors items!  I don't know why people have to tease about something someone else likes no matter what it is.  My friend's daughter collects MH dolls but is already hiding it from her friends because she is 13 and they might tease her about it. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »
I think the reason they ask if it's a birthday gift is to find out if you need a gift receipt--a receipt that doesn't have the price on it, which you can include in case the recipient wants to return it, but without being like "Look, I spent THIS MUCH on you!"

Yup - this is what I was going to say. Most people are not judging you with the "is it a present" question - most of the time its to see if you need a receipt without an actual total. So its a courtesy. In addition, some retailers like their cashiers to engage shoppers - a smile and an innocent question. Most of the time I wouldnt read too much into that kind of question.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »
They don't know what they are missing :) But that is ok, that means more for you and me!

omg. I MUST use that line when I bump into unapproving people! I guess I'm lucky because people tend to be pleasantly surprised when they discover that I keep ponies.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2012, 06:56:44 AM »
I thought of this thread when I was out yesterday.  I went by hot topic to pick up Rainbow Dash and D-Hooves and I had them hold them for me since they only had a few of DH left, and when the girl handed them over she said "Ohh so *you're* the one that wanted these?  Yeah, you have fun with those." I was just like "Oh I will!" in the same sarcastic tone she was using on me.  I told my boyfriend walking out that if she was trying to make me feel bad for buying MLP she should have picked someone else, because I have no shame.   :biggrin:

The cashier however, was perfectly nice and told me she thought they were cute.  ^.^

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2012, 07:36:14 AM »
There was one day I was in Toys R Us and picked up a few of the brushables for custom purposes and a few packs of the trading cards. The cashier looked young, probably in his late teens or early twenties, but he asked me if I wanted a gift receipt. When I said no he rolled his eyes and muttered an "oh my god" and then started smirking as he bagged stuff. It was really embarrassing even though there was no one else in line. Looking back, I wish I had spoken up but it just totally caught me off guard, mostly because I'm a girl. I kept wondering "wait... when did it become funny for a girl to buy MLP?" O.o

That's quite a bit of an assumption on his part even.  Just because you don't want a gift receipt doesn't necessarily mean that you are buying them for yourself.  You could have been intending to give them as gifts but know that they won't be returned.  You could have been intending to donate them to charity.  So many things!

Whenever I feel that I need an excuse, I just say that my nieces are fans.  But mostly I just don't say anything and let them make their own assumptions.  I've never run into a rude person before but I tend to play my pony collecting pretty close to the chest, so to speak.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2012, 07:45:24 AM »
Some cashiers are just rude. A few mock my choices at the gas station when I buy snacks.

I say, look, you want to waste your time and energy disliking my choices in life, then that's your perogative. But I have cute colorful ponies and a very fulfilling life so..

BTW, I don't feel ashamed. I OWN it. I went up to Target with Lyra and Trixie and started talking to the cashier. I said, "Oh yes, I'm paying for my My Little Pony toys with my groceries. Heck yes." And she just laughed.

Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

claricesponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2012, 08:03:16 AM »
(not sure if this is in the right forum)

So today I went down to my local comic book store to ask about the new MLP comic coming out and the cashier seemed every excited about it, as I was leaving the cashier started talking to the couple that were behind me in line and  he said "That girl is getting the MLP comic she made my day" and the girl started laughing and looked at me and said "Jesus seriously?"

=/ I'm really shy so it made me so self conscious, anyone else have stories of people being rude in public when it comes to MLP?

That is not good business. Yes, you need to leave a review online and you need to contact the Store Manager or Owner and report that behavior. The owner needs to be aware of this because in this economy, a store cannot afford to lose a sale.

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2012, 08:18:30 AM »
You know, I've been reading the posts in this thread, and I guess most of it chalks up to the haters gonna hate philosophy.  But the thing that really blew my mind is that someponies have had cashiers/salespeople snarking at them for their purchases!  Holy carp!  I worked as a cashier for many years, and the whole root of the game is to treat your customers politely, because their commerce (hopefully of the repeat variety) ensures your paycheque!  I know a lot of you are really shy, but that doesn't mean you have to put up with this kind of rudeness.  Ask to speak to a manager.  If that's too confrontational for you (and it would be for me; I'm with you), make note of or ask the cashier's name, then write a letter to the store manager or store headquarters detailing the exchange.  Stores really do need to know how their frontline personnel's behaviour is affecting their customers.  And we need to be able to shop for whatever we want (ponies, snacks, feminine hygiene products, whatever) without being sassed for it.

/rant over. :P

That is not good business. Yes, you need to leave a review online and you need to contact the Store Manager or Owner and report that behavior. The owner needs to be aware of this because in this economy, a store cannot afford to lose a sale.

Funny - you were posting this while I was typing.  Great minds! :lol:

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Cherry_Sunset

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »
The cashiers have been cool to me about my purchases, but a lot of customers have been mean to me about it, once I was rooting through a top shelf of brushables, and he stopped and stared at me, and I just shot him a dirty look and he walked away. Just this weekend, we were stuck in traffic and I was trying to detangle a G1 Applejack's tail in the car (don't worry, I wasn't the one driving) and a few people walking by gave me funny looks. My stepdad and brother have made some remarks I don't care for, but I try to keep my chin up and tell them "Oh well! It's my life, and it's like an animal version of my Mom collecting Barbies!"

I'm kind of used to getting picked on for my interests because I've liked and collected Sonic the hedgehog things since I was a child. Nothing new to me, really.

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2012, 05:48:09 PM »
As a cashier, I never ever judge people for buying stuff. I do however let them know when I like something they're buying! I'm a very social person.. so when I see something neat, I always comment. But if it's something I don't like, I just ring it up, smile and tell them the total.

People can be such jerks. I know cashiers deal with pain in the rear customers all the time, but that is no reason to take it out on others and judge people.  :mad:

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline TrixieStix

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2012, 08:14:50 PM »
As a cashier, I never ever judge people for buying stuff. I do however let them know when I like something they're buying! I'm a very social person.. so when I see something neat, I always comment. But if it's something I don't like, I just ring it up, smile and tell them the total.

People can be such jerks. I know cashiers deal with pain in the rear customers all the time, but that is no reason to take it out on others and judge people.  :mad:

Right on! I get excited if they purchase something I really like, and otherwise I'm still a happy person, or try my best :) it's not their fault if I'm having a poopy day on which I work.

Ditto again, my friend and I are always excited to see a cashier who is upbeat and doing their best and tell them how nice it is!  We've been there, and a cashier who is judgey/kinda meh attitude can really stink up your energy too. (Like waiters) Otherwise ignoring that and moving on helps!

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2012, 05:10:11 AM »
Ugh, exactly! This topic is filling me with rage because, even as there are TONS of people out there BEGGING for jobs, these rude jerks get to keep theirs and perform unsatisfactorily. There's no justice in the world, I tells ya.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:12:00 AM by saply »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal