collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dolls with Sleeping Eyes  (Read 401 times)

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Dolls with Sleeping Eyes
« on: October 10, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »
How do you deal with dolls like this?

I mean, I understand that any time you photograph a BJD that they technically have the same expression, but you can make it feel different buy the way you place the eyes.

With a sleeping sculpt, no matter the angle, they will always look asleep. Or bored. Or something.

Is getting their eyes opened the only way? Or does one make it a character flaw, like blindness or they don't want to see the "ugliness of the world" or the like?

How do y'all feel about sleeping sculpts?

Offline murbella64

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I don't train monkeys, I make 'em.
    • View Profile
Re: Dolls with Sleeping Eyes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 04:47:24 PM »
Well, from what I've seen, there insanely cute when you have them kiss with the sleeping faceplate.  Also, the falling asleep poses are sweet.  Figure, you're not awake more than 2/3 of the day, why should every pic of your doll be?

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »
I adore them!! <3

I have a sweet dreams Volks Rengemaru ~  :lovey: Which reminds me... I need to take pics of my twins.  -_-

The closed eye version of Suzuna and Rengemaru are adorable and look like peaceful dreamers to me. Here's a collection of some closed eye dolls off Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/swdyosd/

They can be a little more difficult to photograph and portray expression, but I think it just creates a challenge and makes you think outside of the box. I didn't like them before but now I want a lot of them ( Sleepy/Dreaming Volks Four Sisters especially!! )

Post Merge: October 10, 2012, 04:51:19 PM

A lot of body language is what really makes a photograph pop in my eyes. Constant portrait like pictures get boring really fast.

Post Merge: October 10, 2012, 04:54:25 PM

I also wanted to add that not many eye opening mods are very popular, especially in older/rare dolls. Most eye opening mods decrease the value as seen in second hand marketplace.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:54:25 PM by CupeCakeWishes »
Avvie By Watercolors

Sol28

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:14:43 PM »
Hmmm...I've never been big on sleeping dolls but seeing a Sweet Dream Nono in person made me want a sleeping sculpt. I'd love to have a sleepy SD boy who I could make a bed and adorable PJ's for. There's also just something amusing about sleeping dolls. You put them down and it looks like they fell asleep in random places!

As for eye openings, I know some sleeping sculpts don't have eye wells at all, so I'm guessing it would be highly annoying to mod them.

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »
I have an ANother Secret Mr. Milu within my grasp, but I am worried I will fall out of love with him when I run into problems getting him to show emotion.

Then again, as a huge fan of V (from V for Vendetta) I also know that a face never has to change to show worlds of emotion. (Then again, while you never see V's eyes, he still has eye stilts >.<)

I don't think I am going to have his eyes opened, partial because I am worried it would be a shoddy job and he would be ruined >.>

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »
Well, I think some have different heads with closed eyes and open eyes?

That and the intent of buying a closed eye mold would be because you want those pictures? :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 04:36:53 AM »
Some sculpts have open and closed eye heads available. The Fairyland dolls ( Littlefee and such ) have optional sleeping faceplates that are fun to play around with.

Yeah, some sleeping heads do not have eye wells and so modding them is really a lot of work. I bought a sleeping Bambicrony Roko elf head that had a horrible eye opening mod job and ended up giving the head away ( since the body was perfect ) in the sale. I used it to practice faceups and tried getting someone to close her eyes back to factory.

Getting someone to fix eye mods is difficult since the few that do wonderful work are always busy/full with commissions.  -_-

Post Merge: October 11, 2012, 04:42:37 AM

Ooh, and I sort of get irked when I see people opening eyes of sleeping/dreaming Volks yotenshi Mamu. 1.) because they have not been rereleased and 2.) the open eye version was rereleased not too long ago.

Why mod a closed eye one when you can easily find open eyed heads? It makes the sleepy/closed eye Mamu's ever harder to find.  >_<
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:42:37 AM by CupeCakeWishes »
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 08:24:55 AM »
I think that I will just have to stive for emotion via body language and gestures.

This will be fun OwO

from1981

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »
Know what you mean, saw a new bjd whose face I really like, but because his eyes are closed I'm going to hopefully buy another bjd instead when I sell Soom Chrom. I really like Chrom, but there's this other doll I've just gotta have.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal