collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: tail rust in g2s  (Read 426 times)

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
tail rust in g2s
« on: October 07, 2012, 08:01:23 PM »
I have brought some g2s knowing they have tail rust, one is quite severe. Now I have pulled many a heads of g1s and even g3s to fix tail rust but I was wondering is there any thing different I should know about g2s in reguards to pulling off heads, pulling out tails etc?
Also how do you get down their back legs to clean the rust out? I cant even imagine how I might go about that   :(

Thanks

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: tail rust in g2s
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »
G2s have more bend in their backs that I've noticed compared to other gens, so getting at the right angle to remove the tail could be a bit harder (hemostats might make it much easier though; I've never used them for that job).

The plastic is hard, so soften the plug with either hot water or a hair dryer before trying to put the head back on.

As for the legs, pipe cleaners.  Thick and fluffy kinds.  If they don't actually remove the rust, they'll at least loosen it so you can flush it out with soap and water.

Good luck with your project! :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:15:14 PM by ApertureScience »

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 08:22:24 PM »
Also check they aren't magic motion, specifically the ones that have the mechanism that moves the tail.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »
You almost need hemostats to remove G2 tails lol! No different to removing their heads although it can be tougher has the plastic is harder and the glue tougher. The tail is really tough to reach so you need to push the tail in and almost corkscrew it to reach it and if you have super long nose tweezers that would be helpful too.

Pipe/bottle cleaners will get into the legs and as ApertureScience says if they dont completely clean the legs you ll get most of the dirt loosened - I suggest then popping part of a denture cleaner tablet inside her and filling her with warm water that will clean out most of the rust which is sticking to the inside.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »
Please post if you have success with this. I cannot imagine doing it as they are so small and slender, so I have passed up some otherwise good buys because they had visible tail rust. :(
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 05:50:51 PM »
I've cleaned one or two standard release G2s (meaning the ones that didn't have any moving parts) and found that it wasn't much different than cleaning a rusty G1 or G3. The best part is their heads aren't glued! maybe a little tougher to get off though. I heat my ponies under a hot light bulb before trying to remove heads and tails, so I'd recommend that or a hair dryer as someone above mentioned.

Good luck!
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 08:24:10 PM »
awesome thanks so much for the good advice.. I would have never thought of pipe cleaners in a million years so thanks for pointing that out ; ) I will let you know how successful they are but it maybe a month or 2 before I get around to doing it... or should I say completely finishing them, I cant count at the moment how many headless ponies I have atm with there tails in the bathroom

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal