collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Engagement Ring Superstitions  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Sumire

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Engagement Ring Superstitions
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 11:53:48 AM »
My engagement/wedding ring set was my grandmother's from her first of three marriages.  My husband's matching band was my grandfather's (1st husband) and than my father's (used in two marriages that ended in divorce).  My husband and I are still happily married.  I realize this would have more weight if I had been married for forty years but as I am not yet forty myself it's a moot point. ^_^

I knew the superstition and it did give me pause.  (I moved my wedding to June because the rhyme goes "Marry in the month of May, And you'll surely rue the day." Well that and several bridesmaids couldn't attend in May, that played a part too. ^_^)  I gathered information on so many traditions because I love them and am a student of folklore.  I remember reading that it's considered good luck to never try on the finished wedding dress before the wedding day.  Sarah, Duchess of York insisted the dressmakers leave a few stitches undone and she did them up on her wedding day and did that make everything magically work out in her marriage?  It's fun to wear something new, old, borrowed and blue but it's not going to make your marriage better, you and your husband hold that power in your own hands. 

I love having an heirloom ring and I tell people who do wonder that our marriage is going to wipe out all the bad juju that lovely ring has had to bear.
If wishes were horses, they'd be My Little Ponies.
Thanks to moonflower for my adorable adoptable!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »
Do what you want. You control your future, the rings don't. I think it's a lovely way to honor your grandmother.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »
I say do what you want. Mom inherited an engagement ring from her great grandmother and she went to a jeweler with it and turned it into a necklace which she wear everyday.

Babushka

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 06:38:11 PM »
If it brings you good memories, then go for it.

My wedding band is actually my mother's, my husband's is my father's. My father died when I was little and seem seemed so right - his band fit my husband's hand perfectly! We also married around the same time, and were able to add in our wedding date and initials inside the bands, just as my mother and father had done.

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 06:55:09 PM »
If it brings you good memories, then go for it.

My wedding band is actually my mother's, my husband's is my father's. My father died when I was little and seem seemed so right - his band fit my husband's hand perfectly! We also married around the same time, and were able to add in our wedding date and initials inside the bands, just as my mother and father had done.
That is a beautiful story:)

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 05:58:20 AM »
Are you going to get married ina church? If so, have them blessed and the 'bad' luck will go away. Apparently, this only what I've been told.

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »
No church here, at least not yet.  I don't even know if we'll be getting engaged any time soon. Yea, we've been together almost 7.5 years, but it'll happen when it happens. -deep breath in, deep breath out.- Haha.

I didn't know my grandmother very well, I've heard stories, I know she loved me.

My grandfather never fell in love or remarried after their divorce. And what I think I love MOST about the rings is that I think he knew she would be the only woman for him.

He had the bands engraved. Inside the engagement ring, it says FIRST LADY, she was the first (and only) woman he loved and married.  Inside the wedding band is FIDELITY. She may have stopped loving him, but he never stopped.

So, yea. I think I will definitely wear them. :) Unless my boyfriend has picked out something else to give to me. :) But he knows just how important these rings are to me, so there is a good possibility that I'll receive them. ^_^

Post Merge: October 08, 2012, 08:03:39 PM

Thank you everyone!!

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 08:17:34 PM »
I think superstitions only have the power you give to them. If you dwell on it, you'll always be worried about it and you'll pick at any problems that come along more than you'd need to. The "bad luck" wouldn't end the marriage, the worrying about it would! It's just like how if you were scared of a black cat crossing your path causing bad luck, if you saw a black cat you'd freak out and end up tripping and hurting yourself trying to get away from it. That ring is just a piece of metal and stones, it wouldn't be a cause of divorce any more than any other accessory you could wear.
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal