collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else get overwhelmed?  (Read 995 times)

Offline zannid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone else get overwhelmed?
« on: October 02, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »
With the upcoming ghouls we've seen pics of the new total of unique dolls is 28 regular dolls and 17 CAMs (not counting Hoodude or the CAM Lab pieces).

With no forseeable slow down to the releases, does anyone else get overwhelmed by the sheer number of these dolls? They've only been out for three years and already we're nearing 50 unique designs, not even counting all the versions with different outfits and face ups.

As much as I love these dolls, it honestly worries me sometimes. My pocketbook can't keep up and being such tall dolls, it's a bit of a hassle to store so many. On one hand I'm excited that the series is doing so well but on the other... It does get overwhelming.

Between being a stickler against visual chaos and barely managing to keep up with just my favorites sometimes I let the stress get to me! Anybody else have trouble with the whole "hobbies are supposed to be fun, not stressful" mantra?

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else get overwhelmed?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 04:08:37 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  I can never believe how many new dolls come out.  I've decided to only buy the ones I really like (of course I end up liking more than I feel I should).  I've tried to stop buying them from time to time but I just get sucked back in.

Offline Buddafly

• ERMAHGERD PWNIES!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • coffee addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 04:15:19 PM »
I've stopped actively collecting.  there are just too many.  will only be picking up signatures, or ones that blow me away with how cute they are.
looking into a re-branding.

Offline zannid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »
I've decided to only buy the ones I really like (of course I end up liking more than I feel I should).

I know how that is! I'll was determined that I didn't want Robecca, but then I saw her in person and fell in love. They're tricky, I tell ya.

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »
I just started collecting and I'm already overwhelmed I could never afford every doll of even house all of them. However that is what the arena is for! I get to look at pics of other people's lovely dolls and enjoy them without having to shell out money or worry about shelf space.   

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »
Honestly, I just collect canon characters, and CAMs that I like. I don't collect duplicates -- if I want a new version of a canon character, I replace the one I originally had. I'm thinking of cutting down on canon characters, too, since there are getting to be so many of them... I'm thinking of, from now on, just collecting canon characters that I like.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

plague

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 05:57:41 PM »
I had about 25-30 but I ended up selling a good portion of that. I have 10 now.

I'm just going to collect the ones I know I really want and try not to double up on characters for future releases. (Except Spectra because she's my favorite.)

At least Jinafire, Catrine and Skelita aren't coming for a few months. (I hope @_@) And even then, I'll probably only pick them up if I like them enough from owner pictures.

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »
I'm definitely limiting myself to only the dolls I really like. So far, I just have signature Draculaura & Rochelle, but besides them I'm planning on getting Signature Spectra, Signature Frankie, Classroom Lagoona and Scaris Clawdeen, Catrine & Draculaura. Luckily for me, I don't really care much for most of the dolls, so I should be able to keep my collection relatively small.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 08:28:33 PM »
I didn't want to collect at all, then came ANTM and I want all of them!! Every time I say that I don't like one or another someone posts an awesome pic of them XD

Offline Dakashy

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dakashy's Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
I have 4 main dolls and a ton of outfits for them. It keeps me collecting but it keeps the collection small and manageable.

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:08:07 PM »
Certainly overwhelmed me.
The release of so many dolls in a short amount of time (I know during June they released a bunch a dolls within two weeks. Don't remind me of last holiday season. Nearly 20 individual dolls in two months, yikes!) had frustrated me to the point where I nearly quit collecting them. It got to be less fun and more like a chore, especially when it came to find the ones you really want. And I didn't even try to "Catch 'em all".

Now, I try to only have one of most characters that I want or like (excluding if I keep them in their box, which I don't have too many of those) nowadays. If I do end up buying a new doll of a character I already have, it's usually only because of the outfit so I end up selling the clothes-less doll itself. I don't have the heart to replace the character doll I already have with a new one, lol. As far as future releases go, I really only want Jinafire and Wydowna... and "InvisiBilly", if they ever get around to making him. ;D

I honestly am getting scared that Monster High is going to cause a "burn out" of sorts by releasing so many dolls/characters at once. :(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:56:04 AM by MilkyTaroMochi »
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

angelfish

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 11:50:24 PM »
I just get the ones I like.  It'd be too hard to get them all.  Plus, if I get too overwhelmed I sell some to make room for others.

isilra

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 02:16:53 AM »
I only get the ones I really like. I am not gonna get them all. And only one version of each doll. I think that it is nice that there is plenty of them to choose. But it is also true that there are just too many.  :blink:

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 07:08:14 AM »
I only collect the ones I like, and even then, only if they're remarkably different from the others. For instance, I decided against Catrine because in the end she's just Toralei with Spectra's colours and Rochelle's style. Also, Cleo and Robecca have very similar colour schemes, so I decided to just get Robecca (though my resolve is weakening every day lol)

For the dolls I don't have, I'm perfectly content to just check out all the wonderful pics on the Arena and tumblr ^_^

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 07:23:18 AM »
Totally overwhelming!

When not on display, I used to stand mine up side by side in large cardboard boxes I keep in a closet. But they always fall over so terribly so this time around I laid them down coffin style one on top of the other. Mass burial!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal