collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it ok to get a custom fixed?  (Read 1554 times)

GoldenLambPony

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Is it ok to get a custom fixed?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 12:01:25 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I will have to think some more about it. There are a lot of good points here. Here are some pictures. Does anyone know who made him?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I would like to add more brown hair to his tail, because it doesn't fill the tail hole very well:

Here is where the paint is coming off a little where I would like it to be touched up a little:

Also, while we are on the subject, if anyone knows who made these, please let me know. Also, another eBay purchase. I took a picture of earth and fire, but I also have a water and wind that goes with the set of 4. These are fine and don't need anything done, I am just curious who made them:

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 12:05:54 PM »
I think he deserves a touch up!
<3

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »
Hm, I don't recognize him, or the other girls.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »
I don't recognize him but it does look like he could use a little TLC to fix those lost plugs and even out the paint.  Looks like they used a sponge method although it's more textured that a makeup sponge usually get.  Hmmm.  Might be hard to patch that paint because of the textured look.  If you got a good color match the application pattern probably would still be fairly noticeable.  Do you still like him as he is or are you thinking you'll strip him down and make an entirely different custom with a similar theme?

Since it was an ebay trans you should be able to look back in your feedback and at least pull some information off the listing.  Might be a good place to start. :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:55:06 PM by Sarahlacewing »
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline RobinHoodFan

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Avi by Me :)
    • View Profile
    • C. Riley Customs
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »
If you purchased it on eBay  then you should still have record of who you bought it from if you left feedback and visa versa.  If you paid by Paypal, look in your paypal history it WILL be there.  I'd send an email off to them seeing if it's ok with them . If you can't find the original owner and have done your absolute best to try, then it should be OK.

GoldenLambPony

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 01:14:34 PM »
The problem is that the person I had purchased him from on eBay was not the original owner/maker and had bought him themselves. So they had no clue who the customizer was. I think he is an old custom. I am like his 3rd owner. I do want to keep him the way he is. I like his design. I would try to fix it myself, but I am artistically/craft challenged. Art was my worst subject in school. I am afraid to mess it up.

Offline RobinHoodFan

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Avi by Me :)
    • View Profile
    • C. Riley Customs
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 01:16:11 PM »
I see what you mean..you cold always shoot them an email and see if they can tell you who they bought it from. But like i said, so long as you tried :)  Does it have a signature on it?

GoldenLambPony

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »
He doesn't have a signature anywhere. The person I bought him from was not very helpful. In fact, I had bought another lot from them as well with another custom in it. I had asked if they would combine shipping before I bid on them. They said they would combine the shipping for a certain amount. So I bid according to her shipping quote and won the item for my top bid. The auction ended, I got an invoice with combined shipping and paid. A few days later, she said her daughter sent out the first pony without realizing I bought multiple items. Then she wanted me to pay more to ship the rest! I told her that I wouldn't have bought them at that price if I had known I had to pay separate shipping. This more than doubled the shipping cost. So she did end up shipping them to me since it was her mistake. I had also sent a message asking more info about the custom and she never responded to the message. I gave up with her after that.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »
Jeeze that does sound tough. Honestly I think you are fine to do the touch ups or have them done. You aren't looking to change him at all, just give him a restore since he is a very old custom who has changed hands so many times. There are several people who do great restoration work. And odds of finding the original maker aren't good. If it was me I'd just be happy you still like him and he has found a lasting home. If this was my custom I would look at him and think, poor guy he needs a little help to return to his former glory.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline thatg33kgirl

• Geek Pony
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • MOC Mimic
  • TGG
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »

Just make sure whoever restores it is better at art than the jesus fresco lady ;)

No D, I love you. :D

But yeah, I would touch it up personally, because he's a bit beaten up.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:10:52 PM by thatg33kgirl »

*COMMISSIONS CURRENTLY CLOSED*

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »
my suggestion (and maybe someone already said this... didn't read second page)
is post a pic of the pony here. more than likely if the original customizer is still active or here they might see it. or someone might recognize it and you can get in contact with the original customizer.
and you can just ask them directly. would settle alot of debate.

edit-ok should have finished reading all the post. seems like your on the right track good luck.
i personally would have him fixed. or if it really bothers you. request another customizer to do a similar design and sell this one. it may insult the artist, but sometimes that happens. not everyone is going to like every kind of art. but fixing it will be hard just because of paint matching. and doesn't look brush painted.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:22:53 PM by rosierjay »

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
Honestly, I understand that as artists we are very particular about our work, but when we sell it to someone else they have a right to do what they want with it.  There is no legal or moral contract in most custom sales that says "you have to do everything you can to contact me before you resell or change this pony".  Obviously we can feel hurt or outraged if someone doesn't like our work and decides to change it, and we can certainly claim foul play if we aren't credited and someone claims a modified custom as his/her own.  Of course it's nice if the owner goes the extra mile to ask you before doing something to one of your customs, but I personally don't feel an artwork buyer has an obligation to do so.  Selling artwork is a trade-off--you're giving up something you have put some of yourself into for money.  If you take the money, you have to be willing to let it go regardless of what the new owner may choose to do with it.  You can't claim both the money and absolute control over the fate of your creation.  I know not everyone agrees, but that's my two-cents' worth.

Offline mayanbutterfly

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+146)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Mayanbutterfly's Custom My Little Ponies and More!
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »
I think it's nice to try to find the artist to ask them about it and then do what you want because it's your pony!  I think he would look great touched up some. (:

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 07:02:17 PM »
Maybe I'm in the minority in that I wouldn't think twice about touching up a pony or sealing it.  As long as you're not altering it and trying to parade it about as your "original" artwork, I see no problem with custom maintenance.  Especially when it comes to sculpted ponies.   I've received ponies that broke in the mail and I've had ponies that I sent break in the mail.  Stuffs always breaking on those guys, glue it back and move on with life.  I'd say touch it up.  After all, you're the one who has to look at it every day.  Fixing the tail might involve buying a new hank but tails are easy to replace. :)
ETA they also sell unused eyeshadow applicators in the beauty section of walmart or walgreens that would make it a lot easier to do dab touch up that paint job in those tricky spots.
Whatever you do, best luck. He needs a little lovin'
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:07:20 PM by elvenwine26 »
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 04:30:16 AM »
I don't recognize him or the other customs, but I think you can touch up those small rubs and add some more hair in the tail. It's not change the whole pony and I don't think the artist would be upset about, it's just a restoration after all.
Until you don't completely change the work I think it's fine, I once asked to restore a custom as it was sticky...sure I wouldn't do major changes on the job of another artist, even if I bought and own it I find it much unpleasant for the artists themselves

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal