collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sealing a pony with pva??  (Read 468 times)

Englishgothgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
Sealing a pony with pva??
« on: October 01, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »
Can you use PVA glue, straight or watered down to seal a pony after its been painted?

I have no modge podge and I live on the moors, there's no way I could get hold of anything else before I need to ship my pony.

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
Re: Sealing a pony with pva??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »
I'm not sure about PVA glue. I've only tried sealing with Mod-Podge (don't recommend it) and polyurethane.

What I would recommend is grabbing a bait or some other piece of plastic junk and testing it over some paint. That way you will find out if it smears the paint, or leaves a sticky feeling, etc. Then, if it works out okay, just be very careful and maybe try only a thin layer first. Once that is dry, you can add another thin layer, if you like.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Englishgothgirl

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 06:21:09 AM »
I'm not sure about PVA glue. I've only tried sealing with Mod-Podge (don't recommend it) and polyurethane.

What I would recommend is grabbing a bait or some other piece of plastic junk and testing it over some paint. That way you will find out if it smears the paint, or leaves a sticky feeling, etc. Then, if it works out okay, just be very careful and maybe try only a thin layer first. Once that is dry, you can add another thin layer, if you like.
Good Idea, Thanks, I've used pva to seal paint on other things such as model hides for reptiles, and its never smudged paint or left a sticky feeling, sometimes its a bit shiny but thats it

Offline WaePonies

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:41:13 AM »
u can also use clear nail polish ^.^ I've used that once or twice to seal ponies and get rid of stickiness
xoxo

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »
u can also use clear nail polish ^.^ I've used that once or twice to seal ponies and get rid of stickiness
xoxo
I would take care in using nail polish on customs, I believe there has been little success with using it on customs at all
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:10:28 AM »
Nail polish cracks, even the clear coats. :(

I use Mod Podge in thin layers to seal, but I have heard it does not work well in humidity. I am in CO, so it's very dry here.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:12:17 AM »
xoxo
I would take care in using nail polish on customs, I believe there has been little success with using it on customs at all
I'd be very cautious with nail polish as well. I know it's been used on top of sculpting fine, but it doesn't react well with the pony plastic over time.

Offline RobinHoodFan

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Avi by Me :)
    • View Profile
    • C. Riley Customs
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 01:11:35 PM »
Do you have any craft or hardware stores near you? You can try a krylon or other brand spray sealer if you can't get modpodge in time. But where and why are you shipping the pony? If it is for a commission, wouldn't you want to be extra cautious and not slap something on there that my damage the pony down the line? I'm sure the buyer would understand waiting a few days until you get the proper sealer to assure a long lasting pony.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal