collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cat is not going to the toilet.  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
Cat is not going to the toilet.
« on: September 29, 2012, 11:20:48 PM »
So I'm looking after a friend's cat for a the week. So far she has been a model tennant, but I'm a bit concerned she hasn't been to the toilet yet.
She is eating, drinking, sleeping, investigating, playing and coming for cuddles so I'm pretty sure it's not because she's spooked.
She is used to doing her thing outside, but has also used a tray in the past.
She's an adult and fully trained.

This morning she kept asking for something - I'm guessing to go out, but that's just not an option. We've lead her to the tray several times but she doesn't go in. She surely must be bursting by now. (it's been 17 hours)
Is it normal that they don't go that often? Is there anything I can do?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: Cat is not going to the toilet.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:24:35 AM »
Heya, Sebby!

I was a vet tech for several years and have lots of cats of my own.

Cats can hold it for a surprisingly long time; even 24+ hours wouldn't surprise me.  And they can be very picky about their litter and where they pee.  If she's asking for something (especially if she's leading you to the door), then yes, she probably wants to go out to pee.  If that's not an option, and if she doesn't like her litter and isn't used to using a litterbox anymore, then try this:  Add some (maybe a lot) of dirt and/or mulch to her box to make it more appealing to her.  If she's used to peeing outside now, she'll find that more attractive.

On the other hand, do watch for signs that she has a urinary blockage.  That happens when little particles clog up the urinary passages so that the cat is UNABLE to pee.  That's unlikely, though, especially for a female cat.  (If she were male, I'd be more concerned, because it's much more likely.  The reason is that for females, "the river is wide," whereas for males it's a "narrow stream that gets clogged easily.")  How can you tell if a cat is blocked?  A blocked cat will be screaming and crying, squatting and straining, trying to urinate.  That is a medical emergency, as a true urinary blockage will mess up a cat's kidneys quickly.  They can die is just a couple days from it.

But don't worry yet; it sounds more like the cat you're watching just wants to go pee outside like she's used to doing.  Try adding a bunch of dirt/mulch to the litter, and see if that helps.  Good luck!
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 03:34:35 AM »
KPF has given some great advice :)

perhaps check round the back of the furniture, pot plants and in corners just in case kitty has gone there ;)

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 04:38:24 AM »
Is her litterbox the same or similar to the one she has at home? What about the litter? Like KPF said, cats can be very picky about their toilets, and even more so if she's used to going outside. Most cats prefer fine grain litter that feels soft to their paws. Some prefer open trays while others like the privacy of a hooded box.

Although it might be that she's just a bit confused about the situation, even if she doesn't seem scared or stressed. I'm pretty sure she'll go and find a place to do her thing (hopefully the litterbox ;) ) when she feels like it. And she'll probably pick a time when you're not watching, like during the night. I wouldn't worry too much yet, just keep checking the box once or twice a day, and try KPF's suggestion of bringing in some dirt.

Good luck with the kitty!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 08:01:17 AM »
If she's more suited to going outside, I don't know how open she'd be to it, but could it be an option to leash her and go outside?  Just a thought if all the other wonderful suggestions don't work.

She'll go eventually if she doesn't have a medical problem.  Just watch her.  Don't be shocked if she goes somewhere that isn't the box, though ... that's just how some cats react to a new situation.  I really think the dirt in the litter tray might be the ticket, though.  Definitely try that!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 08:02:33 AM »
Yeah it sounds like she's just holding it until she can go outside to me too. I'd try the dirt idea as suggested. It may help.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 10:28:27 AM »
Thanks guys :)
Definitely no sign of being in pain or anything. The litterbox and fill is exactly what she has at home as it was all delivered by her mum.

The dirt and leach suggestions are a bit more tricky as I live on the 15th floor in the inner city lol.
Might be able to find some outside work somewhere but I kinda hope it doesn't come to that.

She's been in the box twice now scratching about. I don't know if she's peed but definitely no poop in there.

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
Hopefully she's just settling in. When we got our previous cat, she hid under our bed for a day (did not come out, no food, no bathroom).... finally we said nuts to that and dragged her out of the bed (hissing and snarling), dumped her in the bathroom (where her box was), and blocked her from getting back into the bedroom. She was fine after that :)
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 02:10:18 AM »
I agree she's probably just settling in and will go when she feels more settled. Also I second what Kat says about checking other places in your home where she might have been to the toilet.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 07:58:32 AM »
Yeah, check behind the couch :)
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 06:51:12 PM »
I would do a thorough examination of the house to make sure she's not peeing somewhere hidden, and also watch her behavior to see if she's actually having trouble peeing, or looks like she's uncomfortable. If something is amiss, she should see the vet asap.

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »
Ours held it for a whole 20 hours on our trip across the country- they refused to go at all in the car, even though we had their box.  It's crazy how long cats can hold it! Hope everything works out with the kitty. She may be just nervous.

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal