collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dolls that share your career choice...  (Read 1258 times)

aerieberry

• Trade Count: (0)
Dolls that share your career choice...
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:30:34 AM »
Hi guys! I have a little bit of an unusual question for you today! :) Since forever I can recall "Doctor Barbie" and "Vet Barbie" and now with a wide range of dolls and brands and varieties, there's all sorts of dolls that play on careers, from baker to astronauts.

So my question is: Are any of you particularly fond of dolls that represent the same career that you practice? Do you consider it a shallow comparison? Insulting? Endearing?

I'm a flight attendant, and I have to say that I'm easy swayed by aviation related swag. Naturally, when I saw an Air Canada doll- I bought her almost instantly. I think it's adorable and quite amusing, and it will make a fun keepsake when I move on to another job.

So what about you?

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Dolls that share your career choice...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:51:50 AM »
I think it's kind of a sweet concept. While some profesions are more suited to barvie-fying than others, I love seeing the different ones they try. I think a librarian barbie would kick butt!

aerieberry

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:55:32 AM »
I think it's kind of a sweet concept. While some profesions are more suited to barvie-fying than others, I love seeing the different ones they try. I think a librarian barbie would kick butt!

Librarian Barbie!! That would have SO much potential to be adorable.
And I know what you mean- for careers that don't have a standard uniform or another visual clue (i.e. A doctor's scrubs, a scientist's labcoat, an astronaut's spacesuit, a baker's hat-) It's harder to associate doll-job. I think a Lawyer Barbie would be awesome with a smart pantsuit and a nice leather briefcase. Or Judge Barbie! hehe.

Folly

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:10:01 AM »
It's a shame I have such un-dollable career goals XD haha, I don't really think "small business barbie" would fly... especially not today since fantasy fashion dolls are in.
I will admit that I'm really drawn to dolls that are studying fashion/own fashion lines within their universe.  I wanted to be a fashion designer for the longest time, so the career has a special place in my heart.  I think it's a cute idea and a way to make dolls appeal to peoples sense of uniqueness without it being like... "weird toy collector barbie" (although I'd totes buy that!)

aerieberry

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »
It's a shame I have such un-dollable career goals XD haha, I don't really think "small business barbie" would fly... especially not today since fantasy fashion dolls are in.
I will admit that I'm really drawn to dolls that are studying fashion/own fashion lines within their universe.  I wanted to be a fashion designer for the longest time, so the career has a special place in my heart.  I think it's a cute idea and a way to make dolls appeal to peoples sense of uniqueness without it being like... "weird toy collector barbie" (although I'd totes buy that!)

Small business barbie could totally be a thing.... we just have to use our imaginations. :) I know what you mean, though, I have a soft spot for fashion designer dolls, and they usually have such cute outfits in their lines!

I'm down for crazy toy collector barbie.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »
I really enjoy the fashion designer dolls as well, oh and architects! I think there's something really cool about dolls centered around the process of creating.

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »
Hmm, crazy toy collector barbie sounds like a good idea, but how about we turn it into a career? like:

Toy Designer Barbie?? Her accessories could include schematics or blueprints of with a toy design, a drawing board with design tools, and a small prototype?
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Knibitz

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »
I'm a web developer, so the closest thing was probably Computer Engineer barbie.... Who I hate.
to me she looks like "Help Desk" or "telemarketer" barbie, which I feel is really degrading. Lower-rung technology professions.

It's pretty much the bluetooth that bothers me. Seriously... NO ONE here at IBM wears a headset, except maybe our help desk, which is outsourced anyway.

I also hate her outfit, Tshirt and leggings with a jacket over it? umm... I think I wouldn't even be allowed in my building if I dared try and wear that to work!
I feel like that's just a cry at IT people are automatically a fashion crisis.... Come on, put barbie in some nice black pants, cute pink top, maybe a suit jacket if you must and we're good do go. She could at least try and look like a professional well-respected computer engineer... not basement telemarketer who can get away with wearing leggings as pants.

Offline sabathamk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sabrinas-space.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 01:03:51 PM »
Haha Knibitz, leggings are so funny!  I remember wearing them as a kid and was so mortified to see them making a return... although... I have a few pair... somehow (lol).  I think I mostly like the huge t-shirts that cover your bum!  Great for maternity, too, lol.

I remember playing with my barbies, making them into cleaning ladies (my mom did that) or waitresses (mom did that too) or a hairdresser (my aunt).  Ken was either a farmer or a trucker (lol... can you guess what my dad did?) depending on my age at the time, haha.  I'm a WAHM and I do everything in the house (hubby is a farmer... constant workload, so I like to manage everything I can to let the house be organized and 'homey' for when he is actually home... kinda like what my mom did... hmmm).  I'd love to see a 'WAHM' barbie... but what would that look like?  Wearing an apron, with a baby on your hip and a frying pan in hand cooking supper over the stove?  Hahahahaha.  Oh, and velcro on the kids and barbie's legs!  That would totally be me!  Woot!  It should automatically come with two kids (or more, hee hee) and a kitchen or nursery set.  Yup.  And a lawn mower ;)

I love the toy collector barbie idea!  What I'd love is if it came with a 'shelf' with at least 10 or so 'mini barbies' on it... in different fashions!  Could work as a designer barbie as well!  Or an architect with various 'mini houses' to scale!  (! guess 1:72 our scale so it's 1:12 for Barbie, since I believe she is considered 1:6...).  Man, now I'm doing math!  Yikes!

I like the different careers.  I remember when the barbies were all about what they wore (which is neat too, don't get me wrong) but I always wanted to play with them as moms and workers with kids and  families that did stuff, not just wearing pretty dresses.  I think it's neat!  Although, it seems she's gotten away from the family life.  :(

My goodness.  If you read all that, you deserve a cookie.  Wait a while, I'll whip up a batch (where's chef Barbie when you need her?)

Thanks to Cardinal Melody\'s pony maker!
wishlist/adoptables

Knibitz

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »

amazon

would you say that covers her butt? XD
I agree, leggings can be super cute (if you have good legs :P) but NO ONE looks good with good 'ol legging camel toe. I went to college for 5 years, I got an eye full of it.

*takes my cookie*

I really want to buy fashion designer barbie ;u; I LOVE LOVE LOVE her outfit! I just found that she's only 13$ at the mattel online shop ;A;
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:25:09 PM by Knibitz »

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
I LOVE That outfit, but I wouldn't consider it as a career outfit. If anything it looks like a day at the mall outfit, not something you'd consider as professional attire. I'm actually tempted to find this outfit for my liv girls. XD
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 01:39:32 PM »

That was actually the first thing I thought of, as that's what I'm going to school to be! I can't find an official Barbie (boo!) but there is this nice custom (I think?), which is probably much more representative of me than a real one would be, since I dress this goth all the time:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/librarianinblack/2262350446/in/set-72157603898479546

I really want to buy fashion designer barbie ;u; I LOVE LOVE LOVE her outfit! I just found that she's only 13$ at the mattel online shop ;A;

Augh, Knibitz, now I want to buy that for my best friend, she's a third year fashion design student! XD (My friend dresses better, though. :P)

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »
I always wanted a zoo keeper barbie. I'm not a zoo keeper but growing up it was all I thought about being. That and a writer..

Luckily for barbie, she can be all kinds of careers and change them when she needs to.

I'm simply a cashier.. and I don't really want a cashier barbie lol.  :blush:

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
I don't think a writer Barbie exists, but I found two photographer ones. I Can Be Baby Photographer and I Can Be Fashion Photographer.

I really don't like the baby one. Her outfit is weird, her camera is freaking pink, her face is terrifying, and the babies are mega freaky looking. I've never seriously photographed babies, so I can't say too much about accuracy there.

The fashion one is a lot better. As a whole the doll, outfit, and accessories look better. I've never done serious fashion photography (just sad attempts with my friends in high school xD), but I can't imagine that neck scarf thing being comfortable, and screw doing photography in heels. And it looks like she has the same leggings-for-pants as help desk Barbie. With all these careers can't she afford pants?

Also. . .BARBIE® I CAN BE…™ Pancake Chef. wut. Is that actually a thing?

MoongazerThePony

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »

amazon

Haha, that's actually more formal than anything I wear xD

I don't exactly have a job, but When I do have small jobs to make some money I wear whatever xD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal