collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MH Handmade Fashion Mini-swap *start shipping!*  (Read 7055 times)

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
MH Handmade Fashion Mini-swap *start shipping!*
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:30:31 PM »
This is something I've been interested in doing for awhile and I wanted to see if anyone else would be interested in participating in a handmade fashion swap for Monster High dolls?  It would be a mini-swap, with only 5 items required (though extras can be included also!)  I'm also looking for someone who has experience with running a swap who would be interested in cohosting.

-------------------------------------------------
Monster High Handmade Fashion Miniswap

Info:
------------
We'll be making five items of clothing (dress, shirt, pants, skirt, etc).  Accessories (belts, scarves, hats, jewelry etc) and other items like stickers can be included as extras but aren't mandatory.

A couple of items can be altered doll clothes (for instance, altering a Barbie dress) but at least 3 items must be completely handmade.  You may buy handmade items if you don't want or can't sew. Clothing can be hand-stitched or machine-stitched.  For those that are making their own clothes, I will try to match you up with someone of a similar skill level.

Requirements and Guidelines:
------------------
You must be at least 16 years old, have at least 12 positive feedback on the Arena, 200 posts or more, and have been on the Arena at least 6 months. 

Your partner is a secret so don't tell who you're making clothes for ahead of time!  But do include a card or note in the package you send letting the person know who you are.

When you ship, save your receipt so you have proof of shipping.  You will need to get a tracking number when you ship if possible. 

For the second progress check, you will need to pm me links to pictures of your items.  Your partner's address will be given to you after the second progress check.  If you don't complete the second progress check, then you won't get a package.

Expect to spend at least $10, not including shipping. 

Dates:
-------------
Sign-ups begin: September 8th
Sign-ups end:  Sept. 10
Partners assigned:  Sept. 12
Progress check 1:  November 1st
Progress Check 2 (pictures due):  December 1st
Teaser pics can be posted:  December 5th
Domestic Shipping:  December 10th
International shipping:  December 5th

Particpants:
1.  Cate_Dartfinger (page 3)
2.  Salli (page 3)
3.  Bewilderness (page 3)
4.  Summer-blade (page 3)
5.  Tuneful87 (page 3)
6.  Repulsive333 (page 4)
7.  M!ndy  (page 5)
8.  partypony566 (page 6)
9.  mermaid_splash (page 6)

Resources and Tips:
----------------
Here's a link to an image that you can use to sketch clothes.  When you go to print make sure to check the "landscape" option under page orientation.  http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/bewilderness/clawdeen.png

Also, for around $10, you can buy the Monster High Sketchpad, which has several pages like this, plus some stencils that you can use to trace clothing outlines.  My printer's not working so I ended up getting one of these off of Amazon.

If you want to add some glittery embelishments to a project but don't want th mess of glitter, one option is glitter paint, sold with the cheaper acrylic paints at places like Wal-Mart and craft stores.  This way you don't have to worry about glitter going everywhere.

For MH doll clothes, more than likely you won't need a whole yard of fabric-- one half of a yard (or meter) is probably more than enough for most projects.  Don't forget embellishments--things like beads, ribbon, gems, eyelets, glitter paint, embroidery, etc.

Types of hand stitches: https://sew4home.com/tips-resources/sewing-tips-tricks/hand-sewing-basics

Do a little bit each day, even if it's just a few stitches--don't wait till the last minute!

To help keep your thread from showing, buy thread that is just a little darker than your fabric.

Huge list of links to sewing tips and techniques--This is fantastic!!:  https://sew4home.com/tips-resources/sewing-tips-tricks/you-asked-4-it-handy-list-our-tutorials-sewing-basics

Working with faux fur:  https://sew4home.com/tips-resources/sewing-tips-tricks/lush-plush-trends-fabriccom-sewing-faux-fur

Links to some patterns and tutorials for Monster High clothes:  http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,285217.0.html
Fitting doll clothes:  http://www.perestroika.ca/html2/moretips/fitting_dol_clothes/fitting.php
Tips for sewing fashion doll clothes:  http://www.sew-fashion-doll-clothes.com/
Hemming sheer fabrics:  http://pacoperaltarovira.blogspot.com/2012/01/tejidos-transparentes-tutorial-costura.html
Printable 1/2-inch bias tape maker:  http://scientificseamstress.blogspot.com/2011/10/printable-bias-tape-maker.html
Making bias tape:  http://www.lilblueboo.com/2011/09/bias-tape-a-tutorial.html#more-4425
Making fabric colorfast (I would only use this on washable fabric):  http://dollywiki.net/Color_fasting

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questionnaire:
----------------
Please fill out and post this information in this thread!

What are your favorite colors and color combinations?

Who are your top 3 favorite Monster High dolls?

Would you be interested in clothes for the boys? 

What are your favorite fashion styles?  (for example, casual, dressy, steampunk, goth, harajuku, etc.)  Include links to pictures if you like.

What are your favorite fabric prints?  (for example, florals, plaids, animal print, dots, stripes, etc.)

What are your favorite types of fabric?  (for example, satin, cotton, velvet, suede, knit, etc.)

Is there anything that you don't want to see?  (for example, if you don't want real fur used or don't like steampunk, etc.)

Is there anything you'd love to see?  (faux fur leggings or a steampunk corset, etc)

Do you have any allergies?

Anything else you want to add?

==================================================================
Sign-up form:
-------------------
Please pm this form to me; don't post this information publicly.

Arena name:
Address:

E-mail:

Are you in any other swaps right now?

What swaps on the Arena have you been part of in the past?

Are you willing to ship international?

Do you plan to buy handmade clothes or make them yourself?  Or both?

If you'll be buying clothes, where do you plan to buy from?

Do you have any pets or anyone who smokes in your house (in case of people who have allergies)?

3-5 links to pictures of some of your work (if you're not buying items):

===================================================================
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:28:03 AM by bewilderness »

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
Re: MH Handmade Fashion Mini-swap... gauging interest
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:53:33 PM »
Oh gosh. This sounds super fun. When are you having it? I am swamped with swaps til mid October. How are you planning on having people state their 'taste' in clothes? I don't even know how to ask what I mean. Hmmm, what if I hate dominatrix clothes (except boots :D ) and someone else hates frou frou. Or what if someone needs boy clothes etc.. did that make sense?
Is this a skill-based swap?

Offline CasseminaPie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Cassemina's Corner
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
This sounds awesome! I would love to participate if it goes ahead :)
Come visit my blog!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:42:57 PM »
When are you having it?
I was thinking about starting around the end of September/first part of October, and be finished up around the first of December.  That would give two months.

How are you planning on having people state their 'taste' in clothes? I don't even know how to ask what I mean. Hmmm, what if I hate dominatrix clothes (except boots :D ) and someone else hates frou frou. Or what if someone needs boy clothes etc.. did that make sense?
I'll have a questionairre to fill out.  I've been working on it already. :)

Is this a skill-based swap?
I'm not quite sure how to answer at this point, because I was thinking of there being the option of buying handmade things too (like buying a dress off of etsy or a handmade pair of tights off of ebay).  I would try to match up skill levels as much as possible for those who were making items.

Offline M!ndy

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 12:16:46 AM »
Oooh I'm interested so long as there's time allocated for fabric shopping..  :blush:

Edit to add: Will there be strict requirements such as having swap experience? This would be my first swap and I don't have any selling feedback.. Will that be an issue?

Also, with hand made clothes I'm always worried about the fabric/thread staining.. Will there be a basic run down of ways to avoid things like that?  :lookround:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:20:52 AM by M!ndy »
:fox:

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
  • Trade Count: (+40)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 12:50:34 AM »
Count me in if this goes forward!  :lol:

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 01:21:30 AM »
Oooh I'm interested so long as there's time allocated for fabric shopping..  :blush:

Edit to add: Will there be strict requirements such as having swap experience? This would be my first swap and I don't have any selling feedback.. Will that be an issue?

Also, with hand made clothes I'm always worried about the fabric/thread staining.. Will there be a basic run down of ways to avoid things like that?  :lookround:
I'm planning on there being two months to get the projects done.  Previous swap experience would be great but isn't necessary.  One thing I've learned with swaps though is you tend to spend more than what you thought you would.  Another is some things will take you longer to make than you first thought.  Looking at your feedback, I see no worries there.  :)

And your last question-- unless the fabric is delicate, dry-clean-only, or otherwised shouldn't be washed, washing it first in a washing machine should help remove excess dye and any chemical coating on the fabric.  This will also help remove the stiffness from some fabrics like cotton and poly-cotten blends and pre-shrink the fabric just in case it needs to be washed at some later point.  Just make sure to check the fabric care instructions before-hand to make sure it's okay to go in a washing machine.  Still, I wouldn't store the doll with the outfit on.  I even take off my doll's stock outfits when I put them in storage, to prevent any staining.  I'll look and see if I can find anymore information on this.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:25:37 AM by bewilderness »

Offline mermaid_splash

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+167)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »
I would love to!  But with moving and such it doesn't look good on time frame for me :(  I'd be worried about skill too, I've seen your amazing clothes and I know I can't do that.  I can make leggings and a few types of skirts, but that is all I have attempted.

Offline Summer-blade

• View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 04:17:31 PM »
I'm in! but only if one minds hand sewn I have yet to acquire a sewing machine 

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 04:56:01 PM »
I'm in! but only if one minds hand sewn I have yet to acquire a sewing machine 

I hand sew most of the stuff I've made myself... I have an ah-mazing Brother sewing machine, but its just so dang hard to sew that tiny. The only time I use the machine is if I'm hemming the top and bottom of a tube dress before I start fitting the whole thing. :)

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »
I might be able to join, I just have to polish my sewing skills a bit first.  :blush:
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 05:06:50 PM »
Sounds great!  So what does 5 items mean?  5 pieces or 5 outfits?

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 06:07:54 PM »
If I am able to join I am in. (I'm finishing up a couple of swaps in early October.) I'll also have more finished clothes to show for my examples.

You should start a poll :)

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 06:10:32 PM »
Sounds great!  So what does 5 items mean?  5 pieces or 5 outfits?

I would think 5 items. 5 outfits seems a little extreme if you ask me.
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »
Yes, he says 5 items in the original post.

(Feel free to ignore me as I think aloud) :good:
Hmm, a gown, some separates, a hat and maybe some shoes or leggings? Or am I the only one who likes hats XD ? A bathing suit would be fun too. I wonder if anyone would be interested in a nightie, like a baby doll or something. Do they all have to be clothes or can a piece be jewelry or would that be extras? Or winter wear would be so fun for that time of year. A fur coat and boots- and a hat! lol Or a raincoat would be fun, vinyl is so easy to work with.

It would be fun to do this every season in a seasonal style. :) I'd offer to help cohost but I'm running a custom pony swap this fall/winter. I'd be happy to cohost if you do any others :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal