collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Symbols/Cutie Marks: Have you ever wondered?  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
Symbols/Cutie Marks: Have you ever wondered?
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »
Ok, I started out as a G1 only girl. Got my first Cotton Candy when I was in pre-school, and when I started collecting again, I was gonna stick to just G1's. We all know how that goes....

Then I started on G3's. I noticed that their symbol/cutie mark had gone from being on both sides to being on only one side. The same continues with G4.

Finally, almost running out of ponies to collect (at least those that are easy to find), I have become obsessed with G2. The ones that I have so far are the early 1997-98 ones that were released in the US and Europe. These, like G1's, have symbols on both flanks.

So when and why did Hasbro change it? Is it really that much cheaper to just put it on one side, or was there an aesthetic reason? Do you prefer one over the other? I personally like them on both sides, maybe because G1 was my first love, or maybe just because it makes them a little bit more ornate, and easier to identify from either side.
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Symbols/Cutie Marks: Have you ever wondered?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 06:54:51 PM »
I like when it's on both sides, but I don't really know why...  I guess I like how it's displayed on both sides. I also really like how both sides are different, like G2 Ivy!
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 07:02:14 PM »
I like when it's on both sides, but I don't really know why...  I guess I like how it's displayed on both sides. I also really like how both sides are different, like G2 Ivy!

OMG I haven't noticed that yet, I'm gonna have to go look! I just got my first G2's from e-bay in the mail a few days ago.
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »

OMG I haven't noticed that yet, I'm gonna have to go look! I just got my first G2's from e-bay in the mail a few days ago.

I got my first G2 from eBay recently too. I saw it and I was really surprised! :3
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »
both sides DEFINITELY hands down, it was disappointing of hasbro to do that, with G3's it became restrictive to how they could be displayed but i guess with the g4 variety in poses went out the window so i guess it didn't matter they had them on one side though i still wish they did.
  its cheap ..... real cheap i reckon, like the saying goes, "they just don't make things like they use to" :huh:

btw just checked all my G2 they all have the same symbol on both sides, doh. just notice my Mcdonalds G2 has symbol on one side ah-ha thats when it started  :P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:10:01 PM by dede88 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 07:13:10 PM »
The trend definitely started with the G3's. And both the G3 and G4 animations show the ponies with cutie marks on both sides, which is the biggest indicator to me that Hasbro is just cheap and wants to save money, so they only print the toys with cutie marks on one side. I never thought about it much when I was collecting G3's back a few years ago (maybe because I told myself you can only see one side of the pony when it's on display!) but now that I have a large G4 collection it's becoming more noticeable to me. (Their heads turn so you could in theory display them in any direction, but with the cutie mark only on one side, you're stuck keeping them facing 'display side' only!)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 07:23:35 PM »
I was seriously disappointed when I bought my first G4 and there was only symbols on one side. I started arguing with myself "No, I swear they used to have symbols on both sides"  :lol:

Offline Bebopgroove

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Esoterous
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:31:02 PM »
I really don't see how it would cost Hasbro that much more money -.- I find it hard to believe that companies are having harder times than in the 80s and 90s.

My Wattpad | Flickr gallery (coming soon)
PSN: bebopgroove
Xbox: bebopgroove

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:32:52 PM »
The saddest part for me was that the G3s heads could move, yet their symbols were only on one side, so you couldn't display them any other way anyway.  From a collecting point of view, as well as for play, I would prefer symbols on both sides.

Also, OMG, I never noticed that G2s have different symbols on each side!  I don't even have any anymore, so I can't check, lol.

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 09:12:35 PM »
The novelty-sized ponies, like petites and McDonalds and such, always had one-sided symbols too. I guess the petites were the first to do it? Or the Mommy Charms? *shrug*

Another vote for two both sides being better, but it isn't a big deal for me. We just have to use our imaginations more.

And wait, G3s can move their heads? None of mine can...
I'll put something here some time

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 09:43:23 PM »
And wait, G3s can move their heads? None of mine can...

The later ones can, it was a marketing thing.. a big sticker on the packaging, 'pony now moves it's head!' or something...

definitely Both sides... it's just silly having it on one!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 11:11:19 PM »
I wonder if it's a manufacturing thing. Like, if they have to flip the pony over to put the symbol on the other side, and it takes too much time, so they discontinued it.  That actually wouldn't surprise me considering I used to work a manufacturing job :/
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 01:32:25 AM »
I wonder if it's a manufacturing thing. Like, if they have to flip the pony over to put the symbol on the other side, and it takes too much time, so they discontinued it.  That actually wouldn't surprise me considering I used to work a manufacturing job :/

^This - its going to be a manufacturing thing. Simply down to time scales of production, cost, operational logistics or a combination of the aforementioned. Its not "too expensive" in as using too much ink, it will be "too expensive" as in whether a pony needs to pass through production twice, takes longer to finish or physically putting in place equipment to stamp impress both sides and keep production times down is too costly.

As a G1 girl, the lack of a second symbol does drive me batty but I got used to it with G3 so it doesnt annoy me as much anymore :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 01:39:39 AM »
I very much prefer that ponies have symbols on both sides. I was disapointed with the G3's only having it on one side and my disapointment continues with the G4's that only have it on one side aswell.
A pony should have cutiemarks on both flanks, even their own TV-shows sais so! :P

But Hasbro is without a doubt lazy and just simply can't be bothered to flip the darn pony over to give them a cutiemark on the other side aswell >.<
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 07:11:23 AM »
I think it came down to the "quantity" and not the "quality" of toys. This is not just limited to my little ponies. The toys I grew up with more care and thought was put into making them. Unlike the toys of today. Although it does not bother me that G3s-4s have just one symbol on one side. I think its sad. :/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal