collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Am I the only one with this problem?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Am I the only one with this problem?
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:11:45 AM »
Okay, back years ago, when my brother and his wife first started dating, I had recently started customizing ponies and had brought some with me to our DnD game to prep for customizing while food cooked and we were otherwise waiting to start.

She saw me decapitating a poor, plastic my little pony toy (a G3 if I rememebr right; it might have been a G1).

And, despite being a "goth inside" (she comes across more like a party-going sorrority girl) she was very disturbed by the idea that someone would cut the head off a pony toy. So of course I started grinning in amusement at her disturbance.

This disturbed her even further.

Fast forward to Spring of this year, they've been married about three years, and I come to find out that she's never gotten over seeing me do that.

Anytime my little pony comes up, no matter the circumstance, her mind goes back to the image of me cutting the head off a pony, and she's disturbed again. She claims I ruined her childhood, she can no longer stand ponies, etc, etc, etc.

(Personally, I think she needs to build a bridge and get over it, but I'm not her.)

So, yeah, I traumatized my sister in law, and it's apparently been a bone of contention she's had with me for years. :lookround:

So! Am I the only one with this problem? :awake:
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Am I the only one with this problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:15:49 AM »
XD I've freaked out countless people with my headless ponies.

in particular one maintenance guy I had at my apartment came in to do some work one day and I had about 15 headless ponies laying around my apartment in different stages of customization/restoration. He finished his work very very fast after giving me weird looks and I never saw him again after that >.>

I've freaked out several people at work too until I showed them what I do with them.

Maybe showing her pictures of the customs you've done will help? Maybe doing that will help her realize that taking the head off is simply a way for you to make them more beautiful. You could even show her some restorations and customs other people have done that you find particularly beautiful and then maybe she'll understand it's just a necessary part to create something beautiful :3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »
Maybe showing her pictures of the customs you've done will help? Maybe doing that will help her realize that taking the head off is simply a way for you to make them more beautiful. You could even show her some restorations and customs other people have done that you find particularly beautiful and then maybe she'll understand it's just a necessary part to create something beautiful :3

She refuses to look at them. ^^;

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:04:39 AM »
well that's just silly >.>

Sometime if you're having them over just put a bunch of your customs around the living room then >.>

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »
(Personally, I think she needs to build a bridge and get over it, but I'm not her.)

I kind of agree with this. This seems like such a silly thing to hold onto for all that time. It's a toy horse, not a real one!

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
It sounds to me like she's trying to make a scene about it solely for the purpose of making a scene.  What it comes down to is that it's a plastic toy - not alive, not able to *actually* be hurt.  Yes, I receive strange looks from people that don't know what I'm doing (and I also get the weird looks if someone sees my collection of headless, hairless ponies laying around.  It *is* strange if you're not accustomed to it, but not *scary*).

I've found that people usually get kind of weirded out until they see me actually working on putting a pony back together.  Let's admit it, the destruction phase of pony making can get kind of "violent," lol!  However, sculpting, painting and rehairing, when I've done them in public, almost always get positive attention (except every now and then that just have it drilled into their heads that since it's a pony, it has to be stupid). 

She really needs to get over it.  She's a grown up and honestly, this sort of thing is silly to be bothered about.  I'm sure she pulled the head off at least one Barbie when she was a little girl (didn't we all?), which really would make her no worse ;)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »
I decapitate during game nights also. But after the first time, they sort of got per it. A lot of jokes are made but I'm of the mind that if it is really an issue then yet need to find some way to cope.

Seeing the products in various states of completion seems to draw their interest.

I suggest you make her a custom pony. Something that will suit her tastes. If she can identify with "her" pony then perhaps she can bridge the gap between beheading and completion.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 10:27:03 AM »
Love the build a bridge and get over it.  Gonna borrow that.
I currently have numerous G3s hanging on the bottom of DD's loft bed.  My sib says that it is both cool and creepy at the same time.  I think non pony folk scare easily in regard to ponies, some get over it.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »
I agree she's making a scene just to make a scene. Ask her how happy she thinks a child would feel if you volunteered to rehair a barbie that had its hair chopped off by a snotty brother. Tell her the head would have to come off to do that.

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »
Well, she's an only child; I've been getting the impression she was raised voa tv, for the most part. My brother had to spend over an hour explaining to her why someone would want to make their own clothing instead of buying it from the store. >.>

She's also been claiming that talking about ponies makes her want to throw my entire collection out. Not sure if making her a custom would help or not. :huh:

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 10:50:30 AM »
I wouldn't push her that far. In fact, I probably wouldn't want anything to do with her type as a sister in law. It sounds like she only listens to what she wants to hear and has no empathy for others. Just stop giving her attention of any sort when she gets like this.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:27:08 AM by HavACrumpet452 »

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
is it bad that I started thinking of all sorts of ways to creep her out and weird her out even further to the point where she'd run from me screaming about how I was satan's servant?

I tend to enjoy scaring the heck out of people that act like that >.>

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 11:47:38 AM »
She sounds charming.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 11:59:11 AM »
Have you ever dyed a pony?  You should invite her over when you have parts in a "stew"  (just kidding!!)

Seriously though if maybe you just decapitated ponies, yes it would be odd/disturbing = so show her the finished project = you have to crack some eggs to make a cake - so just sayin'

love what you do?  don't stop - just offer to let her join in the creation fun ;-)  and hope she takes you up on the offer

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »
Oh get over it!!

My folks laugh at all the headless ponies I have around!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal